Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
led heater conversion panel

Heater Panel LED Conversion

For anyone that wishes to change the colour of the SMD LED in the gear surround.

Tools required
Stubby Philips s/driver
Small flat blade s/driver
7mm socket
Fine tip soldering iron
Qty 14 805 10 x 0805 Blue LED (SMD) - Ultra Bright - UK - 1st Class Post | eBay and 1 PLCC-2 PLCC-2 SMD / SMT LEDs - Red, Blue, Green, White, Orange, Yellow - UK | eBay , if you have heated seats you'll need 2 extra 805, smd led. For dual zone climate panel you need qty 20 805 leds

Start by removing the following parts. 1. Rubber mat 2. Plastic cover 3. Gear gaiter

I removed the gear gaiter completely by pushing in the 2 black tabs and lifting the blue collar. You can remove the 2 screws holding the centre console surround, then remove the surround completely.

There a 4 7mm bolts to be removed

2 are located behind two flaps by the centre air vent

Disconnect the elec connectors circled in yellow(ignore other circles)

Remove heater panel with these 3 tabs

Split heater panel

Cover removed

Remove PCB and then remove control knobs( don't mix them up), remove rubber protector

This shows the location of the heater panel leds the yellow circles are 805's, red circle 1206 and black 805 for heated seats

This is dual zone climate yellow circles being back lit and black circles heated seat back lit

This shows the original red leds

Not sure whether to leave the button leds red, I think having the buttons blue would be too much. What are you opinions?

Not completed the install as I've got a couple of LEDs that don't work.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Looking good mate, I'll defo have to order some more LEDs before I send it all up to you, do you want me to look at my daul zone?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Rusty2009 Wrote:Looking good mate, I'll defo have to order some more LEDs before I send it all up to you, do you want me to look at my daul zone?

If you mate possibly with it lit up in the car as per the bottom 2 pics and add it in here
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll get it done tomorrow mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
the red dials will look good with the blue buttons well done.
tucpal Wrote:the red dials will look good with the blue buttons well done.

Think I'll be doing blue back lit and keep the tell back button leds red

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Here you are mate. If you want some pics let me know but my Cam bat has ran out so will have to wait till it's charged up.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thats perfect mate thanks. Looks like 20 805 led. First post updated

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
can not Waite to see the final result i am thinking i just want the blue around the heater dials
and radio and sat nav dials
If you're going blue, go all blue... I don't like the blue & red together
Using Tapatalk
good point but i will see how it works out.
but blue around the clocks is a must do job
I was thinking of trying to make the heater stand out I.e Blue or White on the cool side and Red on the hot side not sure though.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
This a full blue conversion taken from the internet

I'm still thinking of keeping the red and yellow tellback leds for the buttons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would have to say making the tellback LEDS blue is too much you want to know what is on at a glance.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
the little blue on off tabs i want to keep red
but blue around the dials and symbols
then they will look real good and stand out red against the blue
Rusty2009 Wrote:I would have to say making the tellback LEDS blue is too much you want to know what is on at a glance.

tucpal Wrote:the little blue on off tabs i want to keep red
but blue around the dials and symbols
then they will look real good and stand out red against the blue

My thoughts exactly
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
so to do the above i just need the 805,s
and one 1206
tucpal Wrote:so to do the above i just need the 805,s
and one 1206

If you have the normal AC panel yes, only the dual zone panel has all 805's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
normal AC with heated seats cool mate
Wow baz the 0805 are tiny got some turn up today and I am shocked at the size tiny and don't look that easy as the 805 Look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some updated pics showing the completed item

Think I need to change one led back to red on the temp knob
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
that would look better do you mean the red bit on the dial so blue one side and red the other
i would have the forward up and down blue as well
did you leave the little tabs red on the heated seats aircon etc
tucpal Wrote:that would look better do you mean the red bit on the dial so blue one side and red the other
i would have the forward up and down blue as well
did you leave the little tabs red on the heated seats aircon etc

Yes mate the red part of the dial. All the tellback leds were left standard

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Baz can you check which resistor powers the LED on the bottom of your light switch please.

I can't use the AFL switch for some reason so I've had to remove the level switch from mine and swap the plates over but I have no LED on the bottom.

Can get pics of what I mean if that will help.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Here's a image showing the positive and negative of Heater panel non climate no heated seats

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hey @Rusty2009 - found that plcc4

It's the temp dial surround light and this particular led has some odd properties.

Clockwise starting top left, pin 1,2,3,4

Using continuity testing on the multimeter,
-ve pin 1, +ve pins 2 & 3 give continuity, no effect in the led.

+ve pin 4 and it glows almost whitish.

+ve pin 1, -ve pin 4 and it flows red.

Does this dial alter colour range depending on the temp selected?

Certainly, it's not behaving the standard way I would expect from a plcc4

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
Ah yes on the non dual climate panel. I always leave that one as it's a white LED to light the blue/red temp colour markings.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Really? Looks like it's to light up the knob, not the markings around it which have the usual 3x 0805

Certainly, having trouble finding a reverse polarity bi colour led in plcc4 that's blue & green, so it I left for now.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
The 0805's light the knob.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Here we go, best exampling showing it I have.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ed Balls that looks counter intuitive to the output!

I'll doubt I will be entirely happy with the blue/green mix anyway but today it is onwards and upwards with the cd400 panel. I might relook at the heater controls if I get the time today.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How-to Instrument Cluster LED Conversion Rusty2009 66 59,364 19:th-Sep-2020, 18:35:05
Last Post: fratiee
  How-to Stereo and centre console LED conversion cornishtaz 4 11,686 2:nd-Aug-2016, 08:23:07
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Various switch LED conversion cornishtaz 15 17,693 6:th-May-2016, 21:05:01
Last Post: cornishtaz
  Steering wheel Switch Conversion Rusty2009 1 10,959 27:th-Jul-2015, 10:09:53
Last Post: tucpal

Who read this thread?
3 User(s) read this thread:
milozic (14:th-May-2023, 08:53:44), greg848484 (11:th-Jun-2023, 19:02:40), exhippykev (19:th-Jul-2023, 20:17:34)