Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
autobox releasing brake when jolt on

Jolt when releasing brake on autobox
Hi, I have a 2012 Astra Elite 2.0 CDTI auto which I've had for a month.

When releasing the brake after holding at traffic lights or stop start traffic etc, the car jumps forward as if it is late in engaging drive again.

It seems to disengage drive slightly when held in D (I notice a slight change in revs and less pressure on the car to move forward), and when releasing the brake to pull away, there's a real jolt as it takes up drive, before I press on the accelerator. If I notice a slight change in revs, I will flick the car in neutral then "D" immediately and it's fine. If I'm VERY VERY light on the brake, it doesn't hold and is fine, but anything mre than featherlight pressure on the brake to hold the car will result in a jolt when releasing the brake.

I can put it in neutral, put the electronic handbrake on then select drive to pull away, but don't want to do that if in stop start traffic.

I have a 3 month warranty with the car so am keen to see if others have had the same problem, as I never had this in my previous VW auto.

Thanks, a great forum by the way.
It sounds like the hill start assist is doing its job, which holds the brakes on on hills to help stop you rolling back.

I would suggest trying putting the handbrake on when stopped on a hill and seeing if that makes a difference, the handbrake is designed to auto release when you pull away.

If you do have an electric one make sure you double pull it up when parking to fully apply the handbrake (they are prone to rolling away otherwise).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I also have an automatic tourer with electric handbrake (mine is a 1.6 petrol)
the hill start assist activates after the brake pedal is pressed for more than 5 seconds (approx) and will hold the car for about 2 seconds before releasing (enough to take foot off brake pedal and back onto throttle)
This only works on hills, not on the flat - I don't have stop/start
I do feel a bit of a clonk from the back as the brake releases
sometimes when I've forgotten to release the handbrake (after the car is parked) it makes the same noise as it releases, so I guess it's just the way it releases automatically.

but I don't think this is the same as you are describing, it sounds like yours is dropping out of drive then re-engaging as you press the throttle

how many miles has your car done, I had my transmission fluid changed at 50,000 miles due to a leak (but it was very dirty) GM don't specify/reccomend a fluid change mileage as it's sealed for life!!

Rusty, I've never double pulled my h/brake switch - even on my manual car!
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
It's supposed to drop out of drive into neutral when you brake to a stop. It's in the manual and it's to save fuel. Mine does the same. However the transitions are very gentle with my car and there is no jolt. Maybe it does need fluid replaced. Or maybe it can be recalibrated to lessen the jolt

I found this maybe it will help. Maybe not who knows. But it doesn't look like it will do any harm to try it. I think it's the right transmission for your car
https://etesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...ansmission-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake pedal sensor learn. Richiew1986 0 1,072 22:nd-Jul-2021, 16:53:31
Last Post: Richiew1986
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 front brake disc size Nathan191210 2 2,555 25:th-Apr-2020, 07:41:05
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Rear brake pads and discs everson38 4 3,474 28:th-May-2019, 10:53:57
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Brake bleed nipples? Jake 4 4,529 27:th-Apr-2018, 18:36:07
Last Post: Jake
  Rear brake disc size Daniel199025 0 3,398 17:th-Sep-2017, 22:15:55
Last Post: Daniel199025
  Wheel Noise Following New Brake Pads & Discs GJH1985 5 4,493 24:th-Jul-2017, 10:12:34
Last Post: GJH1985
  Astra Electric parking brake BZone1 16 31,654 21:st-Dec-2016, 08:59:09
Last Post: Rusty2009
  High Level Brake Light? steve7 15 21,496 16:th-Dec-2016, 01:26:08
Last Post: irishastraowner
  Front brake pads replacement Phild82 3 3,937 16:th-Sep-2016, 05:15:24
Last Post: Phild82
  Brake dust cover rattle ryanh1008 0 2,914 30:th-Jul-2016, 13:27:28
Last Post: ryanh1008