Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
hu needed android on advice

Advice needed on Android HU
Hi All,

I'll start with my specs: 2012 Astra GTC 1.7 CDTi SRI, CD400 with factory fitted USB, Bluetooth and DAB.

I've owned this car from new and am now looking to spec it up a bit internally as I tend to drive a fair amount for work and want some more creature comforts inside.

First item on the list is an Android HU to replace the crappy 4 line display above the CD400 while ideally keeping the same controls so it still looks fairly stock, I'm one of those weird people who actually likes the centre console as I know where every button is using just muscle memory

Main use (other than looking nice) would be for Waze to complement my Tom Tom sat nav and playing music/audiobooks from my Android phone, finally enabling me to get rid of the old iPhone I currently use as an iPod.

After reading through the threads on here I'm leaning towards the V5754 from iceboxauto (unless it's available from other places as well, that's not clear), I have some questions though.

I'm interested in setting up a rear view camera but I've heard you need the parking sensors to get the full use out of it (I don't have those as at the time I bought the car I thought, tongue firmly in cheek, "I'm a bloke I know how to park why would I need sensors " of course this was before I realised how pathetic the rear view is in the GTC lol), Would it be better to get those fitted before doing the camera/HU upgrade or can they be added easily afterwards?

Secondly can the factory fitted Bluetooth and DAB be used with these units or would I need to buy the optional extras and route the cables for them? I'd like to keep the bluetooth ideally more than anything as while I'm comfortable taking the dash apart to fit the new radio/HU I'm not liking the idea of stripping door cards and other necessaries to route cable up A posts etc. DAB isn't as important (though it would be nice) as I can just use Internet radio on the occasions I actually listen to the radio. 

Thirdly I've been reading that the S160 based HU's come with a cable to allow the use of the factory fitted USB but the newer HU's don't, is this still the case or has someone been able to source a replacement cable that does the job?

And finally does anybody have any other recommendations for HU's other that what I've mentioned already?

Many TIA for any help anybody can give with my queries
I have the S160/M072 head unit fitted with a reverse camera and parking sensors. I don't believe you need reverse sensors at all. I say this because when I originally installed the S160, my reverse sensors were already disconnected due to a faulty sensor. It was only much later that I decided to fix the sensors but not because I wanted them working again but rather the white paint had peeled off the sensors so I had these horrible black circles on a white bumper. I ended up buying a reverse parking kit off ebay for 20 quid which included a new controller and 4 white sensors. Works perfect now. The only reason I can think off regarding the need for sensors is because they would share the same live connection point when engaging reverse gear. Would be easy to tap into the wire if there was already a reverse sensor connection to the loom ? (splice the white/green wire etc.)

The hardware is a little dated on the S160 now but there is a S190 unit. Unfortunately, the S190 has the same hardware (uses the same PX3 chipset) but does up the memory from 1 Gig to 2 Gig. (Rumour of a S200 coming out using the PX5 chipset)

I believe the V5754 uses the PX5 chipset so much better hardware wise.

All the dashboard buttons/steering controls work with the S160. I haven't heard anything to suggest the V5754 is any different.

In case you come across a 2nd hand S160, early models do not have the iPod interface. Was only introduced later.
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Hi mate, I'll try to answer as many questions as I can but you may need others to get all of the answers
I have the B5754 from icebox which in my opinion is a fantastic HU, but I now see that the V5754 is going to become the more popular due to it running Android 8. I had DAB before but no Bluetooth hence why I opted for an aftermarket unit, so I only had DAB to lose, but you would lose the factory Bluetooth as well. My Bluetooth works really well, you can still use the steering wheel buttons to answer/call so it wouldn't be that much different to factory, I've also had no issues with sound quality and that's without using the plug in mic.
Right now for the reverse sensors and camera, I have both because as you say the GTC rear view is awful. I bought some Dolphin parking sensors, good value, easy to fit and the sensors are available in loads of colours so you shouldn't have a problem with colour.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X...UTF8&psc=1
This is the reverse camera I ordered which was the second one as the first was non adjustable and not as good picture quality.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Rot...3f95b18a2f
There are cameras available that fit into the number plate light slot, but if you were thinking of upgrading them to LED units, you can't have both
As for the factory USB, the cables from the S160 are no longer available so you would lose that one, but there are 2 slots at the rear of the unit plus a micro SD card slot up front.
I hope I've helped you with a few things and I'm sure others will give advice.
Have a look through my progress thread as there are plenty of pictures showing the things you're interested in.
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Spa...ess-thread
Cheers.
(31:st-Mar-2018, 09:39:00)marcus01 Wrote: The only reason I can think off regarding the need for sensors is because they would share the same live connection point when engaging reverse gear.
All the dashboard buttons/steering controls work with the S160. I haven't heard anything to suggest the V5754 is any different.
In case you come across a 2nd hand S160, early models do not have the iPod interface. Was only introduced later.

I was more concerned about the lines that move on the image when you turn the steering wheel, I assumed they were fed by the sensors, I'm probably wrong about that

Everything I've read about the V5754 says the controls work as I believe this is the version specifically for the Astra J's

I'm not concerned about the ipod interface as that's what I'm trying to get rid of but thanks for the info.

(31:st-Mar-2018, 09:51:11)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: ...
I have the B5754 from icebox which in my opinion is a fantastic HU, but I now see that the V5754 is going to become the more popular due to it running Android 8. I had DAB before but no Bluetooth hence why I opted for an aftermarket unit, so I only had DAB to lose, but you would lose the factory Bluetooth as well. My Bluetooth works really well, you can still use the steering wheel buttons to answer/call so it wouldn't be that much different to factory, I've also had no issues with sound quality and that's without using the plug in mic.
Right now for the reverse sensors and camera, I have both because as you say the GTC rear view is awful. I bought some Dolphin parking sensors, good value, easy to fit and the sensors are available in loads of colours so you shouldn't have a problem with colour.
This is the reverse camera I ordered which was the second one as the first was non adjustable and not as good picture quality.
There are cameras available that fit into the number plate light slot, but if you were thinking of upgrading them to LED units, you can't have both
As for the factory USB, the cables from the S160 are no longer available so you would lose that one, but there are 2 slots at the rear of the unit plus a micro SD card slot up front.
Have a look through my progress thread as there are plenty of pictures showing the things you're interested in.
Cheers.

Wow that's some good links there thank you

That's a bit annoying about the DAB and Bluetooth, not so much the DAB but definitely the Bluetooth. I was hoping you could use the mic that's already in place for the factory Bluetooth, wonder if there might be a convertor for it, or maybe I could wire something up myself. Do you happen to know if there's any circuit diagrams anywhere for the various Bluetooth units? (Long shot I know )

I'm not overly interesting in LED mods to be fair (though I do like the look of the switch mods) so I'd probably look at the number plate reverse camera, and more than likely a wireless one, wiring is most definitely not my favourite thing to do in a car...

I might have to look at making my own cable for the factory USB then, shouldn't be too difficult to knock something up depending on how the connection to the actual hardware is made.

Thanks to both of you for the answers so far and I look forward to anything anybody else chips in with as well
(31:st-Mar-2018, 13:33:20)cdunham1974 Wrote:
(31:st-Mar-2018, 09:39:00)marcus01 Wrote: The only reason I can think off regarding the need for sensors is because they would share the same live connection point when engaging reverse gear.

I was more concerned about the lines that move on the image when you turn the steering wheel, I assumed they were fed by the sensors, I'm probably wrong about that

Everything I've read about the V5754 says the controls work as I believe this is the version specifically for the Astra J's

I'm not concerned about the ipod interface as that's what I'm trying to get rid of but thanks for the info.

(31:st-Mar-2018, 09:51:11)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: ...
Cheers.

Wow that's some good links there thank you

That's a bit annoying about the DAB and Bluetooth, not so much the DAB but definitely the Bluetooth. I was hoping you could use the mic that's already in place for the factory Bluetooth, wonder if there might be a convertor for it, or maybe I could wire something up myself. Do you happen to know if there's any circuit diagrams anywhere for the various Bluetooth units? (Long shot I know )

I'm not overly interesting in LED mods to be fair (though I do like the look of the switch mods) so I'd probably look at the number plate reverse camera, and more than likely a wireless one, wiring is most definitely not my favourite thing to do in a car...

I might have to look at making my own cable for the factory USB then, shouldn't be too difficult to knock something up depending on how the connection to the actual hardware is made.

Thanks to both of you for the answers so far and I look forward to anything anybody else chips in with as well

No worries mate, I don’t know if there are any wiring diagrams, but touching on the reverse sensors, the lines on the screen that move are built into the head unit and nothing to do with sensors
This is the camera that goes in the number plate light
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-View-R...SwHwZaCT3U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been having the same thought about the factory USB - be interested to know how you get on with that with the v5754 unit as this is also my plan.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android RV5754 factory settings password Amazingusername 3 3,269 7:th-Nov-2020, 16:08:03
Last Post: cro55m
  Battery drain Android tesla style head unit rayvo1 4 3,357 9:th-Sep-2020, 21:05:31
Last Post: rayvo1
  Sports Tourer DAB+ on Android Headunit MikeyP247 2 2,636 2:nd-Nov-2019, 17:11:28
Last Post: niteram
  Dash cam on Android unit robk999 2 9,328 2:nd-Nov-2019, 10:30:30
Last Post: Rusty2009
  CD400 buttons not working Android head unit install mephisto 4 7,155 27:th-Oct-2019, 17:30:00
Last Post: mephisto
  Front DVR android S160 M072 NEATH-LAD 3 2,975 4:th-Jul-2019, 19:07:39
  How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera sheppy1 64 37,671 9:th-Jan-2019, 15:07:53
Last Post: Shorty5
Android Auto Install Marek 3 5,982 4:th-Aug-2018, 07:47:17
  What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? johnboy999 11 8,583 12:th-May-2018, 20:36:07
Last Post: Alby75
  Headunit advice needed shabba 12 5,283 13:th-Apr-2018, 19:09:49
Last Post: andru