Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
lights auto

Auto Lights
Has anyone else had weird experience with the Auto Lights? My headlights seem to be on all the time regardless of whether its night time or bright sunshine at mid-day. I was under the impression that the DRL's would be the only lights to come on during the day and the dipped lights would come on when light dropped below a certain level, thats the way they work on my sons Renault. I'm sure they worked fine when i got the car. I noticed that the satnav display is also linked to them as it seems to be running constant in night mode, this isn't a problem really as i thing it looks nicer that way anyway.
(5:th-Nov-2017, 17:28:47)Breengin Wrote: Has anyone else had weird experience with the Auto Lights? My headlights seem to be on all the time regardless of whether its night time or bright sunshine at mid-day. I was under the impression that the DRL's would be the only lights to come on during the day and the dipped lights would come on when light dropped below a certain level, thats the way they work on my sons Renault. I'm sure they worked fine when i got the car. I noticed that the satnav display is also linked to them as it seems to be running constant in night mode, this isn't a problem really as i thing it looks nicer that way anyway.

Might sound daft but have you checked that your windscreen is not dirty (i.e. where the sensor is)?
(5:th-Nov-2017, 18:27:57)AlanMac Wrote:
(5:th-Nov-2017, 17:28:47)Breengin Wrote: Has anyone else had weird experience with the Auto Lights? My headlights seem to be on all the time regardless of whether its night time or bright sunshine at mid-day. I was under the impression that the DRL's would be the only lights to come on during the day and the dipped lights would come on when light dropped below a certain level, thats the way they work on my sons Renault. I'm sure they worked fine when i got the car. I noticed that the satnav display is also linked to them as it seems to be running constant in night mode, this isn't a problem really as i thing it looks nicer that way anyway.

Might sound daft but have you checked that your windscreen is not dirty (i.e. where the sensor is)?

First thing i thought of, so gave the window a good wash. Still the same. Just in case i'm getting this wrong heres what I have in my head as to how these Auto Lights should work.

Engine Running in all cases. My Astra is 2011 model on a 60 plate (Jan 31st 2011 to be precise)

Auto Off - All lights off during the day including DRL, manual activation when dark.
Auto On - Only DRL on during daylight hours. No tail lights, nu,ber plate lights or dipped beam
Auto On - All lights on, DRL (side), dipped, Number plate and tail lights when light levels fall below a certain brightness
Manual - Speaks for itself really.

The only thing i have done recent was set my CD500 display to alway show Night settings. Wonder if that affects the DRL setting as well. Need to go change it and shine a bright torch on the sensor to see
Don't get me started on the auto lights.

I battled with Vauxhall for almost 2 yrs over it. I gave up in the end as I was getting nowhere & although others were complaining on forums about it not many would go to vauxhall and complain.

I spent hours getting video footage with a lux meter fitted to the windscreen etc, even got an independent report done (on the say so of vauxhall) that report said either the senor is at fault or there is a software issue. Vauxhall's response that report was "It's worthless as they are not a Vauxhall trained technician."
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(6:th-Nov-2017, 10:35:34)Rusty2009 Wrote: Don't get me started on the auto lights.

I battled with Vauxhall for almost 2 yrs over it. I gave up in the end as I was getting nowhere & although others were complaining on forums about it not many would go to vauxhall and complain.

I spent hours getting video footage with a lux meter fitted to the windscreen etc, even got an independent report done (on the say so of vauxhall) that report said either the senor is at fault or there is a software issue. Vauxhall's response that report was "It's worthless as they are not a Vauxhall trained technician."

Hi
I have 2017 1.6 gtc that also likes to put its lights on in full sunshine, and the date sometimes go's daft i.e july 2149, must be the flux capacitor playing up!
(6:th-Nov-2017, 10:35:34)Rusty2009 Wrote: Vauxhall's response that report was "It's worthless as they are not a Vauxhall trained technician."

And that was the end of it?
Modern headunits can switch their backlight on/off depending on the sunrise/sundown time which is imho the best moment for switching. Except when in tunnels, so a combination algorithm with a user-controlled threshold on the lux meter and time-based schedule would work best imho.
2009 Insignia Sports Tourer / (EDS) Remap 202hp/475Nm / (OEM) DAB+ retrofit / (OEM) Foglights retrofit / (Focal) sound system
No I battled with them for a futher 6 months (4 months of that was them saying they were working on a software update) but they then dropped the software update no idea why.

They just said the lights are working as they should and when the sensor gets a super high burst of sunlight it doesn't know what to do so for safety reason's the lights remain on.

Now this is baffling as surely they have to set the lux setting that will make lights come on/off so it's not hard to work it out & issue an update.

Lux readings for the UK.

• A dull day is 1,000 Lux (so this means the lights will be on).
• Natural daylight is 10,000-25,000 Lux (so this means the lights should be off).
• Natural Daylight in shade is 20,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).
• Bright sunlight is 110,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).
• Brightest sunshine is 120,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(6:th-Nov-2017, 10:35:34)Rusty2009 Wrote: Don't get me started on the auto lights.

(6:th-Nov-2017, 17:01:20)Rusty2009 Wrote: No I battled with them for a futher 6 months (4 months of that was them saying they were working on a software update) but they then dropped the software update no idea why.

They just said the lights are working as they should and when the sensor gets a super high burst of sunlight it doesn't know what to do so for safety reason's the lights remain on.

Now this is baffling as surely they have to set the lux setting that will make lights come on/off so it's not hard to work it out & issue an update.

Lux readings for the UK.

• A dull day is 1,000 Lux (so this means the lights will be on).
• Natural daylight is 10,000-25,000 Lux (so this means the lights should be off).
• Natural Daylight in shade is 20,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).
• Bright sunlight is 110,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).
• Brightest sunshine is 120,000 Lux (so again the lights should be off).

I assume i'll just have to suck it up then. Oh well
I just started to notice this with my 2012 model, was a bit bamboozled by it. My car is often in shade when started so I put it down to that, until I noticed in bright sunlight, it was still on.

I only noticed it after I started ripping apart electronics and thought it may have been me not replacing a cable right, the dial for auto lights just right etc.

Today however I noticed it flicked from full to drl quite quickly once I got into the sunshine.

I also noticed it happens less at midday, and more during sunrise/sunset and actually appreciated the brighter lights during that time.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  auto fold mirror modules Qaranc 4 1,725 11:th-Jan-2023, 01:49:50
Last Post: Qaranc
  2.0 CDTi Auto Gearbox Oil Change Dennis S 0 1,502 13:th-Aug-2021, 14:29:25
Last Post: Dennis S
  Intermittent alarms and auto-locking dawks 2 2,268 10:th-Nov-2019, 10:19:58
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Happyblue module ambient lights Kdun 1 2,524 9:th-Mar-2019, 10:22:32
Last Post: Rusty2009
  New member - Led lights HarryH 7 4,254 4:th-Jan-2019, 13:55:53
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Astra J GTC Daytime running lights Wanna_be_dj 5 6,449 1:st-Jun-2018, 09:49:33
Last Post: Wanna_be_dj
  Ambience lights gtc Wullie1967 0 2,544 10:th-Mar-2018, 10:24:05
Last Post: Wullie1967
  Astra GTC ambience lights Wullie1967 2 3,437 9:th-Mar-2018, 19:14:13
Last Post: Wullie1967
  Unlocking with lights on Mspencer 10 6,426 21:st-Jan-2018, 20:32:19
Last Post: Hummelshøj
  Licsence plate lights Nathjnz 2 2,915 11:th-Dec-2017, 16:37:25
Last Post: Nathjnz

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
cpeter53 (10:th-Oct-2023, 06:52:28)