Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
light on? airbag always

Airbag light always on?
Hi, im new here and need some help please...
Today signed up for a 1.4sri GTC 2014 which is lovely however while test driving i noticed the airbag ON light in the center console was lite up all the time. I asked the sales chap if this was normal and he suggested it was fine. However im not so certain so wanted to check with people that may know. Please can you let me know your thoughts on this before i make full payment. Cheers!
Mine is always on No faults stored others go off.

If you want peace of mind ask them to run a diag check in front of you.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(1:st-Oct-2017, 07:26:26)Rusty2009 Wrote: Mine is always on No faults stored others go off.

If you want peace of mind ask them to run a diag check in front of you.

Ok cheers mate thanks for reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check to see if the passenger air bag has been turned off. IIRC the light remains on if disabled.

The switch is on the side of the dashboard, and can be seen when the drivers door is opened. Turn on/off with the cars key.

Ultimately RTFM. It gives a full breakdown of the warning lights, and what their status means.
(2:nd-Oct-2017, 11:49:32)Big Dave2 Wrote: Check to see if the passenger air bag has been turned off. IIRC the light remains on if disabled.

The switch is on the side of the dashboard, and can be seen when the drivers door is opened. Turn on/off with the cars key.

Ok so are you saying this light should not be on?

mine stays on with the airbag switched on.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
From what I remember reading and going by what my 1.6 does.

If the passenger airbag is turned off then the light stays on.

If the passenger airbag is not turned off then the light comes on when you start the car and turns off after about 10 seconds of driving (I've not paid attention to what it does if you start the car but don't start driving).
(3:rd-Oct-2017, 09:31:16)Padster Wrote: From what I remember reading and going by what my 1.6 does.

If the passenger airbag is turned off then the light stays on.

If the passenger airbag is not turned off then the light comes on when you start the car and turns off after about 10 seconds of driving (I've not paid attention to what it does if you start the car but don't start driving).

Ok thanks. The light I’m referring to in not the on on dashboard it’s the one on centre console by radio...

(2:nd-Oct-2017, 11:50:59)Ssss Wrote:
(2:nd-Oct-2017, 11:49:32)Big Dave2 Wrote: Check to see if the passenger air bag has been turned off. IIRC the light remains on if disabled.

Ok so are you saying this light should not be on?

I'm going on the behaviour of mine, and what's written in the handbook. It's off unless the passenger airbag has been disabled.

Here's a quick attempt at copy/paste of what the handbook says.

Thanks everyone for your help! Called local dealer and they said it’s normal for this light to be on.

Can't understand how it can be normal for the light to remain on.

Mine goes off shortly after starting. Previous hire cars the same.

Even the handbook says it should go off except under certain conditions - explained above.
(4:th-Oct-2017, 10:41:53)Big Dave2 Wrote: Can't understand how it can be normal for the light to remain on.

Mine goes off shortly after starting. Previous hire cars the same.

Even the handbook says it should go off except under certain conditions - explained above.

Mine stays on.

What you need to think about here is allowing for any software updates etc which changes the behaviour also different years came with a different handbook etc.

It's like Joe saying I only have front electric windows and I can open/close them with the fob, then Fred saying I front electric windows & I can't open/close them with the fob. Classic case of the car that doesn't has the newer software to disable this feature.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
A dashboard light usually indicates that either something is switched on, or there is a fault somewhere.

A check light will remain on for a few seconds then should self extinguish.

To me, if the airbag light is remaining on, then it's indicating a problem with the system somewhere, or the passenger airbag is switched off.

The OP need to confirm which light is actually on, as the airbag and seat belt lights in the middle of the dash look very similar, and also the OP needs to confirm whether the light is red or yellow in colour when its on.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant light coming on when coolant is full (new sensor and no leaks) baffling me! Brasseyebaby 3 2,935 2:nd-Feb-2021, 21:12:47
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  DPF REGEN LIGHT Starie 113 55,636 19:th-Apr-2020, 21:00:20
Last Post: Multiskilled
Spanner Light illuminated with engine off Wwood1991 2 3,235 11:th-Feb-2020, 13:01:57
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Rear Light Replacement (Need Advice) A.ROD 2 4,914 17:th-Dec-2018, 19:17:48
Last Post: A.ROD
  Help engine light Mspencer 12 7,994 18:th-Mar-2018, 17:17:36
Last Post: Mspencer
  No wiring for the interior boot light marcus01 5 5,495 20:th-Dec-2017, 16:48:23
Last Post: rlievens
  Rear fog light bulb ID jl47 0 3,885 15:th-Dec-2017, 15:24:34
Last Post: jl47
  Faulty back light Jon3sy 4 5,259 24:th-Aug-2017, 17:04:11
Last Post: sparkyscfc74
  Astra 1.6 Turbo Engine light P0171 abba34 1 4,954 7:th-Aug-2017, 04:21:09
Last Post: sanj424
  led courtesy light drivers door twinpipes 1 3,566 4:th-Jul-2017, 06:49:12
Last Post: Rusty2009