Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
amp new following wheel noise discs brake pads

Wheel Noise Following New Brake Pads & Discs
I recently purchased a 2010 Astra J 1.4 Turbo.
 Despite the vehicle being purchased from a dealership owned by my cousin, I have had nothing but trouble since.
The latest of a long list is that I had the front discs and pads replaced last weekend (despite later finding out they didn’t need doing in the first place). In any case, all was fine for about 10 minutes after leaving the workshop 4 days ago. Since this point I have been hearing an awful squealing noise coming from the front driver’s side wheel.  I was told that the brakes needed “wearing in” which I fully get, however I am concerned that as time goes on the noise is getting louder (to the point I can’t have my window down and people stare in the street) and on top of this the squeak is only audible when not braking. When I depress the brake pedal just slightly, the noise stops but returns immediately on release of the brake pedal.
Is this really a “wearing in” issue or am I the victim of incompetent fitting? I am not convinced that the “mechanic” who replaced them is entirely talented. He was the person who said they needed replacing in the first place when they actually didn’t as it turned out. There was smoke pouring from the wheel for another reason, not a faulty disc brake.
I am really running out of patience but as the dealership is owned by family it is incredibly awkward.  I paid for a 6 month warranty but I really feel like giving up and paying for another mechanic to sort the seemingly endless list of issues.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure it is coming from the front and not the rear?

It could be the sliders weren't re-greased.

Sadly most dealerships are like this TBH I'd find a good local mechanic.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(21:st-Jul-2017, 07:13:20)Rusty2009 Wrote: Are you sure it is coming from the front and not the rear?

It could be the sliders weren't re-greased.

Sadly most dealerships are like this TBH I'd find a good local mechanic.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Definitely from the front, drivers side. 

It turns out that this is now bottom of the worry/priority list. The car cut out 3 times during a 5 minute journey this morning. I have to rev to 3k plus before I can release the clutch to pull off without it losing all power. Very distressing when I have my 2 year old in the case. The engine management light throws up a “lean fuel” fault. The “dealership” accused me of letting the petrol run out which wasn’t true by any stretch. They cleared the fault and I went to drive away before it returned. The mechanic told me to buy some Redex and fill it up with fuel. Spent £60 doing so and the fault is worse than ever. To the point I am fearful to drive the car with my child in it. I suspect maybe the previous owner had a habit of letting the fuel get too low and has caused damage in the process.

I am really at my wits end with it. When I accelerate to pull off the rev counter stays up for far too long. Then when idle it judders. Stutters when accelerating and like I said earlier, cuts out if I don’t give it at least 3k revs before releasing clutch. My so called family seem to think it is all in my head and I am worrying. My partner has took the car out himself after I refused to drive it and he assured me there is something very wrong and suggested I take it elsewhere. The problem is I have paid for a warranty so I shouldn’t have to keep paying out for repairs which should be covered!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
pads normally have anti-rattle springs fitted, if they're not fitted correctly (or missed off) then the pads tend to chatter and squeal.
Is the "family" dealer experienced with Vauxhall?
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
If we can get fault codes we can help advise more.

Could be worth buying a op-com for fault code reading? Just don't clear the codes.
http://www.op-com.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Thanks for the message all. 

I dont think the mechanic is competent with any make tbh.

I took it to my Dad's friend who is a very experience Vauxhall mechanic. He found the fault in minutes. A small hole in the rocker cover is allowing air in, hence the "lean fuel" fault code.

Sadly, as the vehicle is under warranty and I cannot afford to pay someone else to fix it (as much as I would like to) I have had to hand the car back over the "family" dealership to be sorted. They are apparently sending it off site for diagnostic, obviously arent convinced with the explanation I gave them despite me showing them the exact point of the air inlet.

The noise from the wheel is apparently because there is some metal on the back of the brake pad which is rubbing on the disk? Again, the noise isn't the brakes "wearing in" as I have been told.

I am awaiting an update from them currently as I have had to leave the car in their hands. 

Finger crossed......

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake pedal sensor learn. Richiew1986 0 1,248 22:nd-Jul-2021, 16:53:31
Last Post: Richiew1986
  1.4T Engine noise Nathan191210 1 1,276 29:th-Jun-2021, 09:05:07
Last Post: jay2801
  Steering wheel angle, esp, power Steering smoky-jr 3 2,560 6:th-Jun-2021, 18:23:26
Last Post: jeniferbitcoin71
  Broken wheel stud Euroshopper 1 1,632 6:th-Oct-2020, 07:08:18
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Steering wheel from Astra K foxydimsi 2 3,387 1:st-Oct-2020, 06:49:56
  GTC limited edition alloy wheel paint code Nathan191210 5 3,238 1:st-Aug-2020, 19:22:43
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,595 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  space saver wheel Gary13 5 3,414 24:th-May-2020, 19:02:57
Last Post: Gary13
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 front brake disc size Nathan191210 2 2,739 25:th-Apr-2020, 07:41:05
  Squeak when turning steering wheel Rusty2009 12 10,803 12:th-Sep-2019, 21:45:35
Last Post: Boycey1969