Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
starting issue? intermittent

Intermittent starting issue?
I've owned my 63 plate 2.0cdti elite auto for around a year now, this being my 4th J.
Anyway for around a year now this one has suffered from a very intermittent starting prob.
I went to start the car today, as you do. Just before setting off to work. Sat in my car, gearstick within the parked position (being an auto), turned ignition key on to start it, nothing. Turned key off, then back on again, but within the on, not starting position. Clocks did their checks, turned it on, nothing again. Turned the key off again. Thinking about how I'm going to get to work. Waited around 10 seconds, turned key on. Fired straight up. Used it all day, today. No issues. This problem has probably occurred around 6 times over the duration of ownership. Last time, being around 3 months ago. Very intermittent. Going to check battery voltage tomorrow with my multi meter.
I've never had this problem with any of my previous J's. 1.6, 1.4t, 2.0cdti, all being manual versions.
Anyone else had similar issues? Solution?

Cheers
key fob battery should be changed every 2 years, perhaps it could be the key battery getting low and causing immobiliser issues.
(13:th-May-2017, 22:32:14)stigeye Wrote: key fob battery should be changed every 2 years, perhaps it could be the key battery getting low and causing immobiliser issues.

I change it yearly. Car opens with fob, no issues from distance.
Could be a fuse issue for the starter the starter it's self a bad connection somewhere the list is endless.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(14:th-May-2017, 08:10:14)Rusty2009 Wrote: Could be a fuse issue for the starter the starter it's self a bad connection somewhere the list is endless.
Yep the intermittent ones are the worst. No fault codes stored either. If I find the issue, I'll post back.
Cheers.
First place I would start is cleaning up all the grounds.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(14:th-May-2017, 10:24:51)Rusty2009 Wrote: First place I would start is cleaning up all the grounds.
Checked the voltage at rest. 12.44v. A little low I'd have though. I think a fully charged battery, prior to starting should read 12.6v +. This is a big lump of an engine to turn over. I'll check it next on tickover, when I'm out next. Should be around 13.7v+.

Rusty,
I've checked all the obvious stuff. All seems ok. With it being a starting problem, can't live with that. Will try a mate whom owns his own garage. He gets a guy in whom does his diagnostics. Has all the latest gear. Cost me £25, worth a try, I suppose.
I would check the gear lever park switch first being an auto, might be worth moving the lever next time
I've tried Opcom on it, from the limited diagnostics that can be done. No codes stored.
Think it's going to be a garage/auto elec job.

(14:th-May-2017, 12:26:56)vocky Wrote: I would check the gear lever park switch first being an auto, might be worth moving the lever next time
I'll try that, when and if it occurs again.
Cheers.
Think I'll run with the spare for a while first, just to rule out an immobiliser/chip fault.
Mine can still turn over when its at 10-11V (struggles abit but does it).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRL - sidelamp issue stajerad 1 1,977 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:37:54
Last Post: Rusty2009
  DRL/Sidelight Issue MassiveRoy 1 1,910 10:th-Feb-2021, 19:57:52
Last Post: Rhun91
  Intermittent start, stalls after clock sweep no throttle response Jump to Latest Brendonm9477 5 2,512 5:th-Jan-2021, 13:55:10
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2 days and already an issue..... MrCrunchy 6 2,966 18:th-Sep-2020, 18:32:29
Last Post: MrCrunchy
  Aftermarket android H5754 headunit issue simpledun 1 2,443 4:th-Jun-2020, 09:17:15
  Intermittent alarms and auto-locking dawks 2 2,080 10:th-Nov-2019, 10:19:58
  ASTRA J HEADUNIT ISSUE AstraJ_OwnerSK 1 2,243 10:th-Nov-2019, 08:31:13
  Sat Nav issue Slakky 3 3,174 2:nd-Sep-2019, 13:06:06
Last Post: vocky
  StabiliTrak/ABS Issue Desperado 1 3,021 17:th-Jun-2019, 09:31:05
  hatch issue Qaranc 4 3,576 2:nd-Jun-2019, 08:01:28