Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a installing unit intellilink 2013 insignia trim and nav 2010 on

Installing 2013 intellilink nav unit and trim on a 2010 Insignia
Hey guys!

I am interested in fitting an intellilink nav unit from the 2013 facelift Insignia on my 2010 Insignia.

Essentially, I want to go from the one on the left to the one on the right:

(image take from: http://www.auto-news.de/webcore/data/con...rticle_EXT)

I am not really interested in getting the intellilink to work because I plan on gutting its innards and replace it with a mini or flex atx motherboard and basically install a small linux machine that I will use to program my own radio unit with all the goodies that I will ever need, and if I can't reverse engineer the touchscreen to work, I'll hack another in its place. 

The reason I want to do this is because I want to connect this linux machine to the OBD port of the car and have the possibility to display sensor readings and fault codes straight to the unit's screen. (I'm also tired of fault codes popping up in the middle of a long drive only to have it disappear by the time I get to a dealership where they inevitably tell me they couldn't find any fault code.)

I could do this with the stock unit but the new one looks cooler and I'd like to keep the stock one as a backup.

To summarize, what I need to know is:

1. Will it physically fit (do the mounting holes / clips line up; is it the same external shape etc.)?
  2. Will the air con controls, hazard lights, traction control, parking sensor and lock / unlock buttons work or what is needed to get them to work?
Thanks!
I would think your issue may come from the heater controls.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I DONT THINK IT WILL WORK

it would be a canbus nightmare for heated seats heater controls etc and i know the outer trims differ in size
so i would also think the dash is also good idea but i have no idea
Thanks for the replies.

Rusty, why do you think I may encounter issues with the heater control and do you have any pointers how to get around those issues?

Tucpal, if I can't get them to pair up and if they physically don't fit I'll stick to using the older unit but it would've been nice to have the newer better looking version.

I found a newer generation unit from the scrappers a couple of days ago an it had a picture of the backside where I could see several connectors for different cables so I suppose the climate controls, heater controls etc are all modular but I wasn't able to find an image with the back side of my unit so I could compare the connectors. I'm curious if they use the same cables / connectors. 

If I could get some local scrapper to lend me a unit so I could actually try to see if it fits that would be bliss. 

In any case, if they don't match, I'll just use the older unit but I'm not giving up hope just yet. Suggestions are still welcome 
Totally different software and hardware and most likely the wiring will also be different, you would really need to look into everything.

If you were really wanting to do it you could look into swapping the whole dash over if there is a difference.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(13:th-Apr-2017, 12:05:22)Rusty2009 Wrote: Totally different software and hardware and most likely the wiring will also be different, you would really need to look into everything.

Figured as much but I hoped they wouldn't redesign the hardware / software just for some simple climate control knobs.
Also, I just realized that the unit in the image I uploaded features controls for dual zone climate whereas my car is not equipped with dual zone climate control so that should simplify things a bit, to my mind at least.

(13:th-Apr-2017, 12:05:22)Rusty2009 Wrote: If you were really wanting to do it you could look into swapping the whole dash over if there is a difference.
I gave this a thought before but if switching the center console would prove to be such a hassle, how can swapping the entire dash be more feasible? 
The newer one has that big TFT screen in the middle of the dials, I would have to watch out for the passenger airbags and who knows what else...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insignia vx flat steering wheel Anthonwr 1 2,677 25:th-Aug-2021, 11:41:29
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  insignia cluster into astra? Tylerrattv 49 33,825 30:th-Jul-2021, 18:27:37
Last Post: theendfear
  Insignia odometer is locked mileage no display Robsterw1980 1 1,748 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:14:20
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Navi 950 intellilink centre dash speaker Kdun 4 3,811 13:th-Feb-2019, 08:12:21
  2011 insignia satnav Drow insignia 1 2,583 22:nd-Jan-2019, 17:15:39
  Icebox users.. what does the display look like behind the trim panel? gazz292 2 5,012 16:th-Apr-2018, 12:29:56
Last Post: gazz292
  insignia fog lights preparation zzattack 17 11,244 11:th-Jun-2017, 12:36:27
Last Post: zzattack
  Advice needed regarding HID upgrade for a 2010 Insignia i.rosca 11 12,660 17:th-Dec-2016, 15:55:57
Last Post: i.rosca
  Bluetooth Unit kyleuk2015 11 8,946 1:st-Sep-2015, 17:28:38
Last Post: kyleuk2015

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
Kobs (7:th-Apr-2024, 21:36:52)