Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
to remove bumper how rear

How To Remove Rear bumper

How To Remove Rear bumper

Start by taking the rear lights off to do this there is a wingnut behind each light unit.

Then pull the light unit towards you then right or left (my need a little force).

Then unplug the wiring.

Repeat for the other side.

Next pull the rubber from inside.

Then under the car there is two clips (can't think of their name) take these out.

Having 19's I found it quicker to take the wheels off

Undo the 3 torx 10 screws that hold the lining to the bumper

repeat for the other side.

You will need to remove the number plate lights (I didn't as I have a cam and it is very tight on the wiring).

Next you need to pull the bumper from the clips on the wing.

Unclip the 3 clips on the top under the light.

There’s is a support bracket which also needs to be unclipped.

Repeat for the other side.

Next there are two clips above in the centre (very hard to get pics of but you can't miss them).

Next unclip the wiring harness.

That's it the bumper will now pull away from the car.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
nice wright up rusty
Hey mate! Think you missed a bit out of this tutorial. When I was doing mine yesterday I followed your tutorial to the letter but was pulling on the bumper for ages and it wouldn't come off. I then realised the bumper was being held to the frame of the car by two screws behind the number plate.

I had to remoce the plate to get to them, once I removed them it came right off.

They are the ones you can see below:

Had removed them by this point but you can see the holes

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

good to know thanks sure rusty will work that info into the how to
Yeah thought it was worth knowing for people who would have just been yanking away at it to no avail Haha. Luckily the screws were easily spotted down inside the bumper at the stage I was at and I just located and unscrewed them and off it came

They must of made a modification then as I deffo don't have 2 screws behind the numberplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
they may be a difference in the preface lift and the face lift bumpers
there is a difference on the front there is an extra bolt not found on the preface lift
so always good to get feedback on these how toos.
Both bumpers are facelift mate iirc sheepy has a 14plate

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Mines a 63 plate @rusty2009 but yeah, could be they just added these extra screws on some models from a certain year onwards...as you say @tucpal, be good to have it in the tutorial so that people know to check for these on their model before trying to take off the bumper

I've had my rear plate off and mines got no screws. 10 plate

Hmmmm what plate is yours again @rusty2009 and @tucpal?

Mines a 62 plate Tucpal's is a 60.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hmmmm must be in 13 plate onwards models then

Good write-up Rusty and will be useful for next weekend when I tackle replacing the rear parking sensors. I've ordered some new colour coded white ones as one sensor has stopped working (constant buzz) and the paint on one of the other sensors has peeled off. I have the VX Line edition so have noticed that there is a single screw in the wheel arch holding the vx line rear defuser in place over the bumper. Not sure if the other 3 screws are there for the bumper itself. I supposed I shall find in due course......
2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 DSG XCellence 

Past 2015 Ford Focus 1.5 Titanium X 
Past 2012 VX Astra 2.0 Cdti Sri Vx Line 
Past 2008 Civic 1.8 Type S

Write up was almost exactly the same for my 2012 sports tourer.

The only exception was the 3 clips under the light cluster was 2 clips and a torx which were all T15 on mines.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
Very good 'how to' however I did want to kick my bumper off or smash it with a hammer. The plugs underneath didn't want to come off at all.

I have new debadged grill and want to fit it but my car is not wanting to play ball. I tried to fit it with bunper partially off so all screws except 4 holding underneath.

End job was the bumper back on and grill not fitted, anyone able to help? Also the clips on the grill anyone have a better idea how to remove. I read the how to but couldn't understand which bits to snap to keep clips intact.

By the way I live in Bristol so if anyone near I will travel for help lol ? ? ?
The clips underneath are two-piece, and outer ring and an inner ring, get a small flat head or removal tool between them, pull the peg out. The other ring will then follow.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||

Similar to this

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu-...-guard.jpg

Brilliant guide! Used this a few days ago to fit my aftermarket towbar!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vxr rear exhaust fit to Diesel Afus1987 4 6,364 21:st-Mar-2021, 04:34:44
Last Post: M222RJF
  How-to remove roof aerial Rusty2009 17 25,029 11:th-Sep-2019, 10:28:43
Last Post: Despoina-Varypati
  VXLINE bumper retrofit research tucpal 89 48,803 8:th-Oct-2018, 16:27:25
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How to remove Wing Mirror Covers, Astra j tucpal 12 29,929 5:th-May-2017, 20:37:31
Last Post: Tonto
  Vxr rear bumper fit to normal gtc Afus1987 3 7,221 8:th-Apr-2017, 09:24:18
  How-to remove Window trims & door mirrors Rusty2009 27 32,893 28:th-Mar-2017, 11:44:01
  How-to remove front bumper from Astra-j (MK6 5 Door Facelift) Rusty2009 31 48,716 28:th-Dec-2016, 22:58:13
Last Post: tucpal
  HELP: rear wheel arch dent removal Starie 4 6,868 8:th-Jul-2016, 22:45:33
Last Post: tucpal
  Front Bumper lower grille allymorrison70 2 6,835 12:th-May-2016, 23:01:33
Last Post: allymorrison70
  How-to remove fog surround Facelift Rusty2009 12 23,000 18:th-Dec-2015, 17:54:11
Last Post: sheppy1

Who read this thread?
4 User(s) read this thread:
Rusty2009 (5:th-Oct-2023, 07:48:48), exhippykev (20:th-Jun-2023, 21:23:36), STHOP (28:th-Nov-2023, 20:11:12), iNeoTom (27:th-Feb-2024, 16:36:17)