Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
please advice

Advice please!
Afternoon!

This is my first post. I bought myself a 2013 2.0 CDTI Elite on Monday. Loving it so far, having some right fun driving it.

Just after a bit of advice really. Is there anything I need to know, anything I should be looking out for or just some general tips?

Cheers!
The only thing I would say is DPF if it's your first drev you are going to need to learn how to drive one.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Because of the short stop start journeys we do I try to put some good quality diesel engine treatment in the car once every 4 months and some dpf tratment in the tank about twice a year to help it regenerate. If you get a message saying dfp is full and to carry on driving because the car is trying to do a regeneration do not panic, just take the car onto a motorway, country road or long dual carriageway and keep the car in 4th with revs over 2500 and the car will complete it's regen pretty quickly.

Oil % reading on display... this does not indicate how much oil is left in the sump, it indicates the quality of the oil in the sump, the percentage will continue to drop until you get a 'Change Engine Oil Soon' message. Check your oil level on a regular interval, because every regen attempt results in diesel being injected into the sump and the oil level will rise if ignored too long.

If you know how to hold a spanner and socket wrench and are willing to give things a go then I would recommend having a look at the how to's on the forum, particularly the egr, map and throttle body clean tutorial. https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-2-0...BODY-CLEAN

Gears on the Astra J are prone to be a bit clunky in 1st and 2nd when oil is cold, so don't panic if they feel a little stiff every now and again. In general, the 2.0cdti has the better gearbox.

Glow plugs can be prone to playing up after a few years, the car will still start if one goes. They are easy to replace and the car will clear the fault code on it's own if you do replace one.

If you see a message on your display saying 'Service Vehicle Soon', it has nothing to do with the car needing a service, it means a fault has been found on the car and you will need to have a diagnostic done to find out what it is.
Cheers guys!

Much appreciated.
DPF or better known as Nightmare Short journeys will kill your engine .No matter what fuel you put in mine lasted 9 months on Shell nitro before the dreaded Limp mode enjoy while it lasts.
(6:th-Feb-2017, 19:59:46)Wayneofwolves Wrote: DPF or better known as Nightmare Short journeys will kill your engine .No matter what fuel you put in mine lasted 9 months on Shell nitro before the dreaded Limp mode enjoy while it lasts.

I have to completely disagree, it's how you drive it!

I used to sit through 1 1/2 hour traffic (stop/start) each way to work and back! I used shell v power and mainly use standard shell diesel. In the two years I've had the car (2.0cdti) I've never had a single problem with dpf or even seen the 'dreaded' dpf light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have to disagree I've had mine for almost 5yrs since new and only DPF issue was down to a faulty temp sensor.

I mostly run Sainsbury's fuel.

Like @Tonto says it's all about how you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I've had my car over 4 years now and done 128k miles... never had a single dpf issue. Touch wood

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated" Advice appreciated please Dennis S 25 38,615 30:th-Aug-2020, 13:56:18
Last Post: Rgotts00
  I bought a used GTC! - Fantastic car but a few issues i could do with advice about Mattymush 5 3,360 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:45:59
Last Post: Rusty2009
  SVS - Battery advice shabba 2 2,014 2:nd-Mar-2020, 21:09:49
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Rear Light Replacement (Need Advice) A.ROD 2 4,915 17:th-Dec-2018, 19:17:48
Last Post: A.ROD
  Tow bar advice Martz66 6 3,933 8:th-Nov-2018, 18:37:44
Last Post: Martz66
  Some advice Mspencer 9 4,653 22:nd-Dec-2017, 02:01:14
Last Post: Iaintruten
  GTC body kit, color advice needed twinpipes 3 4,124 5:th-Aug-2017, 12:03:36
Last Post: gregj
  Tire advice jdkm01 6 5,571 9:th-Jun-2017, 09:02:31
Last Post: marcus01
  Lowering & widening advice please. ronnierae 8 6,295 17:th-May-2017, 22:35:56
Last Post: Jon_es
  Looking to buy an Astra-J, after some genuine owner advice. Vx-Mad-G 59 25,733 5:th-Mar-2017, 23:32:34
Last Post: RodgerH