Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
a regarding hid insignia upgrade needed for 2010 advice

Advice needed regarding HID upgrade for a 2010 Insignia
Hello everyone!

I am the owner of a 2010 Insignia that is factory equipped with a pair of halogen headlamps. I should also mention it has headlamp washers and manual leveling. 

I use this car daily mostly to and from work. During autumn / winter I finish work after night fall and my daily commute includes a 30 km piece of road through an unlit field that has been known to have the occasional jaywalking rabbit or other, larger, 4 hoofed creature.

I recently drove a friend's car equipped with factory HIDs. The light output, the crisp cut off and the uniform light distribution made my halogen lamps feel like candles by comparison and I've since been considering upgrading my siggy with a pair of HIDs but I don't really know where to start. So far, these are the options I came up with:

• Install a pair of new halogen bulbs (the current set is as old as the car itself) and see how much of an improvement it makes
  • Get an HID kit, blind any oncoming driver, have a rubbish light pattern and also break some laws (worst idea of the bunch, I believe)
  • Hack the current lamp units to install a lens and an HID kit which may result in a decent result and, as long as I don't ruin the lights, might prove cost effective
  • Do it properly and install the OEM HID headlamps and all that it ensues. This is the most expensive of all options as the OEM units themselves are quite hefty priced, nevermind the self leveling, the wiring and programming (which I wasn't able to find out if it is necessary).
  • While the OEM self leveling, adaptive headlamps sound nice, I lived with static headlights up to this point, I could live with them longer. That being said, the last option would be to buy and use an aftermarket head lamp unit and install an HID kit. 
As far as I can tell, the last option would constitute the best compromise in regards to the end result and the cost. I can get myself these or these which can use either halogen or HID and are compatible with the existing wiring loom so I can plug in an HID kit as well. What I do not know is how good these aftermarket headlights actually are. Another concern is the effect this would have on incoming traffic. Even if it would have a lens, it won't self-level...

Can anyone chime in and offer an advice or an opinion as to what the best option would be and why?
Hi,

The halogen lights are utter rubbish.

My advise would be fit projector units to your current headlamps with a HID kit or if you don't feel confident doing that buy an aftermarket set (I like your 1st link btw).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(15:th-Dec-2016, 08:34:52)Rusty2009 Wrote: Hi,

The halogen lights are utter rubbish.

My advise would be fit projector units to your current headlamps with a HID kit or if you don't feel confident doing that buy an aftermarket set (I like your 1st link btw).

Thanks for the advice! I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that way of the halogen lights. 

I like to think of myself as a competent diy-er but I've much rather keep the stock assemblies in their original shape mostly because I'd like to keep them as a backup while I test out the aftermarket ones and perhaps sell them once I'm convinced the aftermarket units won't fail me and get back part of the investment. 

I quite fancy those units myself but I don't know anything regarding their quality. Do you or anyone else on this helpful forum know of any reputable website that might sell something similar and ships in Europe? Also, the ebay items I've posted mention that they fit insignias between 2011-2014. As far as I know all insignias up to 2013 are the same. From 2013 upward the shape of the lights and that of the bumper differ (facelift model?). Am I correct in thinking that even though it says 2011-2014 it would still fit my 2010 model?
I retrofitted the complete AFL system on my Astra just to have better lighting, at the time when I started the aftermarket headlights hadn't come out and by the time they did I invested to much time & money in the AFL system.

You need to bare in mind that although a Face-lift mode come's out or even a new Mk they still have 100's of cars all ready built which need to be sold.

Here's a link for you hope it helps

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/1826385-va...motor.html

@tucpal would be best to answer you other question being a siggy owner himself.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Thanks for the link, definitely helps. 

Well I don't plan on doing this 'till after xmas / new year so there's plenty of time for anyone to offer an advice. 

Once I settle on a course of action I'll start a progress thread to document everything.
Hi,

Unfortunately Vauxhall won't support the retro fitting of the AFL lights, people have spent 000s only to be told they can't have the activation code.

Your best bet is to get a set of projector units from 2excite http://www.2xcite.co.uk/webshop/drl-devi.../insignia/ and fit HIDs or keep an eye out here for a second hand set
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935193253371799/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i would spend the money on these headlights

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-INSIG...SwanRXhOhI

then you have led drl and projector headlights
these are for RHD drive cars so the light pattern will be correct for the uk
dont get ones that are for LHD cars
(15:th-Dec-2016, 18:29:23)MattyMobile Wrote: Hi,

Unfortunately Vauxhall won't support the retro fitting of the AFL lights, people have spent 000s only to be told they can't have the activation code.

Your best bet is to get a set of projector units from 2excite http://www.2xcite.co.uk/webshop/drl-devi.../insignia/ and fit HIDs or keep an eye out here for a second hand set
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1935193253371799/

This is sadly now true I do believe I am the only one in the UK to have been successful in getting AFL activated.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hello tucpal, Matty, thanks for the input and the links. 

It seems that aftermarket headlights and HID kit is the way to go. Regarding the LDH vs RHD, in retrospect I probably should have mentioned my car is left hand drive.

I keep finding this particular set of headlights that both of you posted but from different sellers so there must be something to them. I was also surprised that a local auto shop would also supply me with a pair of the same headlights but they offer their own warranty for them. Even if they charge a bit more, I'm more keen on having the ability to actually pick them up from the shop and, if need be, physically return them for a refund or replacement. Nonetheless, if an ebay seller with reviews as positive as the one that tucpal mentioned but one that offers LHD I'll probably order them online as it is cheaper.
your welcome also try aliexpress they will have the same headlights

Facebook 'vauxhall insignia owners' group

Thanks Matty!

I've just tried searching for that post but it must've already been sold as I couldn't find it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cd 400 upgrade to navi 600 need help goose9029 6 4,187 14:th-Feb-2024, 07:52:16
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Insignia vx flat steering wheel Anthonwr 1 2,686 25:th-Aug-2021, 11:41:29
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  insignia cluster into astra? Tylerrattv 48 33,909 30:th-Jul-2021, 18:27:37
Last Post: theendfear
  Insignia odometer is locked mileage no display Robsterw1980 1 1,758 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:14:20
  parking and cluster upgrade Maniacu 5 9,335 8:th-Sep-2019, 13:06:46
Last Post: andre_rf
  IPC Upper Display Speedo Upgrade BL25 1 2,692 6:th-Sep-2019, 12:48:30
  2011 insignia satnav Drow insignia 1 2,606 22:nd-Jan-2019, 17:15:39
  insignia fog lights preparation zzattack 17 11,273 11:th-Jun-2017, 12:36:27
Last Post: zzattack
  Installing 2013 intellilink nav unit and trim on a 2010 Insignia i.rosca 5 8,336 13:th-Apr-2017, 13:52:33
Last Post: i.rosca
  Brake & Disc Upgrade Turner_SRi 23 14,759 21:st-Sep-2014, 16:05:24
Last Post: JohnL