Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
ticking noise

Ticking Noise
Thought I'd fire up a note on my experience in case there's others out there with the same issue.

First off and to be clear I'm a fussy sod. I had been hearing a ticking noise from my 1.4t GTC for a while. Only audible with the window down and sounded like a nail in a tyre except it was linked to engine speed rather than road speed, could be heard if I rev'd the engine whilst the car was stationary.

Long story short I took the risk of getting the dealer to strip it down to find the issue. They worked with Vauxhall technical who for some reason told them to remove the sump and look at the bearings on the crank. I would have put money on it being the timing chain myself. Auxiliary belt had already been checked. Turns out the big end bearings were all badly scored. Vauxhall have now suggested an exchange engine for the car. I am in a hire Insignia until it's put in at Vauxhalls expense.

Given the input from Vauxhall technical being so accurate first time round I am suspicious that mine may not be the first one of these they have seen. Must also add the dealer has been brilliant throughout the process, definately had the feeling they were working for and with me rather against me which has been good.

Anyway hope that helps someone.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
I think I will be driving mine home with the window down to see if I have the same issue as you since I also have the 1.4T.

What age is your GTC?
She's first registered end of December 2013, so almost out of warranty. Told today new engine is at the dealers so tail end of next week she should be ready all things being equal.

Mine is November 2013 but no ticking noise hopefully it stays away lol
Just to finish the thread I finally got the car back today, almost 2 weeks since she went in. She's got an exchange engine (refurbished block and head but rest new as I understand it), new dual mass flywheel and a new clutch all under warranty. Seems grand although sounds a little 'tappety' to me but definitely not ticking anymore. Nice and Shiny!

I am a bit miffed that the engine doesn't get an extended warranty, it expires 20th December when the car hits 3 years old. Seems a bit odd on such a major component replacement. Might try Customer Care, dealer can't do anything about it apparently. Of course also kind of hoping I don't need it....

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Glad you got it sorted.

Sadly Vauxhall won't extend the warranty it's all in the small print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
It's always in the small print!!!! Still good to have her back though. Loan Insignia just wasn't the same.

It's better to have a new engine without a warranty than an old engine without one.
It appears it's not as sorted as I had hoped......

Started her this morning and it sounded very em... dieselly which isn't a great sound for a petrol. Also noticed that the clutch pedal was vibrating in time to my new rattles when I just touched the pedal, went away in gear and almost inaudible in the cabin at idle.

Took her back this evening and she is booked tomorrow for a gearbox, either replacement or rebuild depending on what Vauxhall want the dealer to do with it. Now, disappointment aside, why would a gearbox issue still be audible at idle in neutral?

I have a theory that there may be something up with the new clutch/dual mass combo installed with the replacement engine. Dealer is adamant it isn't but then he would be, he installed it. That said it doesn't really matter as long as it's fixed at no cost to me. So it's back to a Eurocar something for me tomorrow evening.

I kind of hope this is the end of it - can't be that much more to go wrong. This would drive a fella to a Ford...... Apologies for cursing!

To conclude the thread, 4 bearings replaced in the gearbox and all appears to be well. Only covered 100 miles since I got it back but so far so good.

Note to convince Vauxhall that they'd really love to extend that warranty, nothing like a challenge!

Resurrecting a thread as it's kind of pertinent. I have just offloaded the GTC after the slave cylinder let go on me. With no warranty on the parts and no certainty of goodwill from VX until after I had paid for the work it was just too costly a risk to take. To repair (and add a couple of tyres, brake pads, brake disks that she also needed) was going to be more than to change her and I have lost all faith. I would have been driving along waiting for the next squeak or rattle.

Moved to an insignia elite so I have stuck with Vauxhall as I really like the cars but needed something different. Good spec at the right price, here's hoping it's better built.

I'm sorry to see the wee GTC go and I thank you all for your help over the past year and a half, it's been fun!

New wagon below.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.4T Engine noise Nathan191210 1 1,302 29:th-Jun-2021, 09:05:07
Last Post: jay2801
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,622 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Noise when turning engine off Marc_81 6 4,731 30:th-Jan-2019, 20:46:28
Last Post: Marc_81
Grinding rotating noise from GTC? MattDe123 2 3,583 1:st-Nov-2018, 10:30:33
Last Post: MattDe123
  Clicking noise THOMAS123 1 2,930 16:th-May-2018, 08:06:00
Last Post: rlievens
  Engine noise Lukedent1234 3 3,648 21:st-Sep-2017, 10:56:53
Last Post: Rob6606
  Wheel Noise Following New Brake Pads & Discs GJH1985 5 5,020 24:th-Jul-2017, 10:12:34
Last Post: GJH1985
  Intermittent engine rattle noise Weeman424 1 3,856 21:st-May-2017, 22:07:02
Last Post: tucpal
  Dry, almost grinding type noise from front wheels / discs area rbull51 2 5,200 12:th-May-2017, 11:17:58
Last Post: Big Dave2
Strange Clicking Noise Astra J? jsmith83 2 4,315 31:st-Dec-2016, 17:41:54
Last Post: jsmith83