Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to some buy an j after owner genuine astra looking advice

Looking to buy an Astra-J, after some genuine owner advice.
Hi folks,

I currently own a Vauxhall Insignia and a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI Elite 150 which the wife drives. Im pretty active on Vectra and Insignia forums.

Anyway, Im starting to look into changing the Vectra we have, which is the 1.9 CDTI Elite 150 (2008 variant). She had an Astra-H prior to this and we upgraded to this about 2.5 years ago as we needed a bigger boot for my sons buggy, but he is out of that so we are looking to downgrade again to a smaller boot. Being Vauxhall through and through, only the Astra-J is in my sights.

I still think that it will be a Diesel that we go for, so im looking at the[/size][size=small] 1.7 CDTI and also the 2.0 CDTI, I really like the thought of £30/£0 road tax. I think we would probably prefer the 1.7, just because its a smaller car we are going to so dont really think we need such a humongous engine, but if the right car at the right price came along I would consider it.

I've been looking at the SRI, SE and really liking the look of the Elite, not really feeling the Exclusiv or Excite due to the bland exterior (lack of chrome). Probably be able to afford up to a 12/13-plate.

We will be downgrading from an Elite Vectra so I have got to get it right - LOL.

Anyway, whats your thoughts? What are the common points of failure on the 2.0 CDTI and the 1.7 CDTI? Do I need to look for Flywheels, Manifolds?? Have read a few comments that the 1.7 is underpowered? Dont really want to compensate reliability with power though. The Vectra ELITE was always an overkill model for what we needed but it was the right car at the right price at the right time.

Have seen a really nice 10-plate SRI ecoFlex 16v 1.7 CDTI.

Went to look at a 63-plate SRI CDTI last night, but didnt like the buyer and I spent less than 30 seconds looking at the car before I walked away.

So, im after some genuine help, advice and comments. More than likely looking at the 1.7 CDTI just because there seems to be more about.
Thanks in advance.
G.
Hi, im new to this forum. Looks like I have made an error with the formatting of my text in the above post. Can someone change the colour so its viewable please, without having to highlight it all?

Thanks.
Hi Welcome to VXOC.

I have a 62 plate 2.0CDTI S/S Elite Yes I've just had a new turbo in June and just had a DPF sensor fail. Other than that a few small niggles as with any new car, there isn't any real major faults with the 2.0cdti.

Some moan that the DPF is an issue it's not if driven right.

It's great to drive and is really transformed with a pedal box.

I would recommend the 2.0CDTI over the 1.7CDTI for these reasons.

1.7 M32 gear box
1.7 common issues with oil leaks.
1.7 not as fast or as fun as the 2.0cdti.

I would highly recommend you try and find one with AFL (the halogen headlights are useless).
and whatever other options you are looking for.

The 2.0CDTI is by far the best engine in range and has been fitted to other models for quite some now, it's also the last of the 2.0cdti engine.

if you do go down the 2.0cdti Look for a face-lift as that will have S/S make sure it has 17" alloys and you will get £30 road tax.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(5:th-Sep-2016, 11:21:06)Vx-Mad-G Wrote: Hi, im new to this forum. Looks like I have made an error with the formatting of my text in the above post. Can someone change the colour so its viewable please, without having to highlight it all?

Thanks.

It's ok I fixed it after approving it, I think you copied and pasted it hence the issue.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
(5:th-Sep-2016, 11:23:29)Rusty2009 Wrote: Hi Welcome to VXOC.

I have a 62 plate 2.0CDTI S/S Elite Yes I've just had a new turbo in June and just had a DPF sensor fail. Other than that a few small niggles as with any new car, there isn't any real major faults with the 2.0cdti.

Some moan that the DPF is an issue it's not if driven right.

It's great to drive and is really transformed with a pedal box.

I would recommend the 2.0CDTI over the 1.7CDTI for these reasons.

1.7 M32 gear box
1.7 common issues with oil leaks.
1.7 not as fast or as fun as the 2.0cdti.

I would highly recommend you try and find one with AFL (the halogen headlights are useless).
and whatever other options you are looking for.

The 2.0CDTI is by far the best engine in range and has been fitted to other models for quite some now, it's also the last of the 2.0cdti engine.

if you do go down the 2.0cdti Look for a face-lift as that will have S/S make sure it has 17" alloys and you will get £30 road tax.

Would the 1.7 CDTI be that much of a problem with the wife driving it? I have a 2.0 CDTI Insginia myself, my only real concern was that its such a big engine for that size of car, although I appreciate the Astra-J is now a very big car also.
It's the M32 chocolate box I'd be worrying about no matter who drives it.

The 2.0cdti has the more robust F40 box.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Having a 2011 2.0cdti Sri all I can say is get one! I don't have stop/start so pay £110 for tax. But the reliability and how fun it is to drive more than makes up for this!

Only problem I've had was a blocked egr valve shortly after getting the car. Had it cleaned and no problem since, I only use shell diesel or shell v power diesel along with a cleaner every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a 2011 '61' 2.0cdti Sri with start stop. I pay £30 a year road tax which is a massive bonus. Economy wise I personally am a little disappointed with. I get roughly 550miles to a tank. I do 60miles a day up and down the m1 for work which I'd have thought would help me achieve a higher mpg.

Spec wise, as much as I like my Sri I'd look for some extras as it's misses out on what you'd think would be standard, such as bluetooth. I'd probably aim for an elite nav preferably with AFL if you can

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Oh, and touch wood.... Probability jinxing myself here, I've had no issues other than the need for a replacement battery in the 18months and 30k miles I've had it for.

I would be looking for an 2.0 cdti Elite J, retrofitting anything to a J is a pain so go for something that will have everything you could possibly want.
One word of warning, if you go for a facelift 2.0 s/s then be prepared if it has the factory fit 18"s, then the road tax will be in the next band up (like mine)
Just to weigh in on the 1.7 v 2 litre debate...I actually prefer how my 1.7 drives compared to a 2 litre, just feels nimbler and less bulky...hard to explain what I mean. However the 1.7 is a bit slow off the line and slow to kick in within each gear. However I personally re-mapped mine and it's miiiillesss better! But if you're not wanting to mess around with re-maps then the 2 litre may be better for you

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Hello again folks,

I went to look at a 2011 Elite 2.0 CDTI tonight.

Initial thoughts were good, and its packed full of everything. However, it felt SOO heavy as a car. It felt even heavier to drive than the Vectra we have. Is that a sign of it being a stronger car or is that how it is?

Also, its £110 tax...would have preferred it to be £30 or zero.
2011 is the non ecoflex 160ps engine.

2012 (from 62plate / facelift) is the ecoflex 165ps engine.

Mine doesn't feel heavy or maybe I'm just used to it.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(8:th-Sep-2016, 22:21:41)Rusty2009 Wrote: 2011 is the non ecoflex 160ps engine.

2012 (from 62plate / facelift) is the ecoflex 165ps engine.

Mine doesn't feel heavy or maybe I'm just used to it.

Is it still a good engine?? It comes with bang up to date service history.

(6:th-Sep-2016, 19:16:35)sheppy1 Wrote: Just to weigh in on the 1.7 v 2 litre debate...I actually prefer how my 1.7 drives compared to a 2 litre, just feels nimbler and less bulky...hard to explain what I mean. However the 1.7 is a bit slow off the line and slow to kick in within each gear. However I personally re-mapped mine and it's miiiillesss better! But if you're not wanting to mess around with re-maps then the 2 litre may be better for you

This is my concern with 1.7 v 2.0. The 2.0 that indrove today seemed soo heavy and bulky. The off the line speed dont bother me as its for the wife. Just dont want to get lumbered with massively large repair bills.
I think all the Astra J's are heavy cars, certainly compared to the class, however, I think that adds to the "solidity" of the car

I cant see the 1.7 being a whole lot lighter than the 2.0, in fact, amusingly from what I can tell, the 1.7 weighs in at 1515kg and the 2.0 at 1453kg !, however, I havent ever really been able to find any kerb weight figures for the Astra J's as they appear all over the place
I think weight differs on spec and obviously the 2.0 engine is bigger and heavier than others. But yeah they're solid cars and mine has been very reliable so far.

So, with the non ecoflex model, is that still as econimocal as thr ecoflex ones, also more to the point will it be as economical as my current Vectra CDTI...?
My guess is that it will be around the same as the Vectra you currently have as they are both similar about similar weight, gearing and aerodynamics I am not so sure about, which do have also have an impact on mpg, certainly at motorway speeds
Honest feedback from someone who has owned a Vectcra C 150 hatch and then two 1.7 J's...

Slow, oh so slow. They are heavy cars, the 1.7 125bhp variant I had in my SE and SRI were both fine for every day use but overtaking needed some planning. The engine I didn't like, very noisy, the 1.7 suffers from the 'turkey gobble' (Google it) which is so annoying, I was constantly in fear of it falling to bits as it sounded so clattery under load too.

Fuel economy: I live in Norfolk so not much traffic and a mix of A roads, B roads & dual carriageways. I used to get around 41MPG constantly on the OBC (Both cars) whereas my 3.0 diesel BMW 3 series gets around 4-6 MPG more (even when accurately calculated) go figure!

The car itself very nice, I love the J/Insignia interior. Nice place to be, it's the one thing I miss now in the BMW.

Would I buy one again? If it was a top spec 160 2.0 CDTI, yes. My brother in law has a 64 plate 2.0 160 VX-Line and I love the looks but I drove it the other week and it felt horrible to drive compared to my 6 cylinder diesel.. And guess what.. Still less MPG than my 3 litre 6 cylinder German tank!

I don't understand, possibly the fact you have to really labour these engines to get anywhere as the cars are so heavy.

On the whole: nice car, noisy engine, not amazing economy (Vectra is better on fuel but you'll know that if you have an insignia too)

HTH
Im going to have a look at a 1.7 tomorrow, but due to the weight concerns and the comments on here, im swaying towards a 2.0 CDTI. I liked the Elite last night, main concern being MPG. I need it to be at least as good as the Vectra. The Vectra reads as approx 36mpg around town, but I prefer seeing what it does to £20 which is currently approx 130 miles. If an Astra does the same or more, then im happy.

Loving the comments im getting from everyone. Thank you, its very useful.
I'd certainly go for the 2.0 Cdti. It certainly goes well. The rubbish gearbox in 1.7 would put me off it never mind it being a little sluggish.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I would say the 2.0, but I'm bound to say that as I own one. Here's a question though, what kind of driving does your wife do? Does she necessarily need a diesel? I'm thinking of potential DPF issues relating to town driving down the line that's all

I have an 2010 2.0 CDTi Elite auto and I really like it, handles great, initially coming from a Fabia Vrs TSI DSG I found the astra a bit slow, the autobox is good, better at downshifting when slowing down than the DSG in the VRS, that would hold the gear till you were virtually at a stop then change down, using little to no engine breaking, the astra is much better for that.

The Elite spec is awesome leather seats are especially comfortable, and all the toys help, only downside was no Bluetooth or USB in, but I sorted this with a parrot system, as retro fitting options is stupid money.

Since having the car I fitted a pedal box which transformed the car, made the acceleration a lot better, and really improved the sluggishness, I have also added a tuning box and that has certainly improved the performance whilst increasing the mpg. Economy wise for £20 I get about 120-130 miles with my commute (trip shows 39-40mpg), I did a run to Scotland and saw the mpg rise on the trip to 56.3mpg which I was very impressed with.

Only gripes I have are 1. the auto wipers are dumb sometimes work sometimes dont, 2. the electronic handbrake is a pain sometimes works on first press some times have to press a few times, 3. its a little wallowy when pushed hard, prob due to the 50 profile tyres. In all honesty the gripes are tiny and I'm really enjoying the car.

Sadly I may have to sell mine to raise funds for a house purchase, or otherwise I would be keeping it. I would recommend the 2.0CDTI over the 1.7CDTI, I tested both and the 2.0 was definitely the better option, I would also recommend a pedal box best mod I've done
I have had a few Astras now, my first being a brand new 60 plate 2.0 CDTi SRi VX Line 5 Door and I absolutely loved it. The car was well built and pulled like a train.

After changing jobs and not doing many miles any more, I opted for a new 63 plate GTC SRi VX Line 1.6T (180BHP). This car had the M32 gearbox as fitted to the 1.7 CDTi, all's I'll say here is avoid cars fitted with the M32 box as they are weak.

I'm now running a 2015 (had from new) Astra/GTC VXR with the same gearbox as the 2.0CDTi. Now although a bit clunky in the VXR, this box is far stronger than the M32. Even now owning a VXR, the 2.0CDTi is a brilliant engine and by far the best option for the Astra as its economical and fast.
I missed a gem today. 61-plate, 2.0 SRI CDTI, 62k in white. So so unlucky.

I have also now decided that it needs to 100% be the 2.0 cDTI
I have been to see a 1.7 and on the last MOT it was reported as having an oil leak. Then seen a few advertised which had gearboxes rebuilt.

Also folks, need some advice, yes more.

I am seriously considering a 2011 2.0 CDTI Elite, non ecoFlex. Having driven this and also a 2.0 CDTI SRI, the Elite felt very heavy. I know I have asked this before but is the Elite just heavier car? It felt like a transite van, whereas the SRI was much lighter.
Well done on going for the 2.0.

The Elite has more things fitted which will add weight over the SRI.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Glad you're going for a 2.0, I have a 2011 non eco flex and love it! Not sure if the elite springs will play a pet in how it feels to drive as the Sri is 10 lower!

the weight difference is minimal same engine same car sure a few kg for things like rear electric windows leather seats
sat nav usb bluetooth if opted so nothing really noticeable
if you are really that worried about the car rent one for the weekend then you can get a proper feel for it
Good shout, not as if Astras are rare to the rental market

(11:th-Sep-2016, 20:38:44)Tonto Wrote: Glad you're going for a 2.0, I have a 2011 non eco flex and love it! Not sure if the elite springs will play a pet in how it feels to drive as the Sri is 10 lower!

The one I have seen is a 2011/11 2.0 CDTI Elite 16v and its in Silverlake?? colour. Wife is not overley keen on the colour.

I would prefer something like and SRI with parking sensors, but with the Elite you get a heck of a lot for your money.

She prefers something either White, Black or Red. I dont want to end up with something she doesnt like, otherwise its my b4lls on the block for the next 3-4 years of driving.

Im taking her to drive the Elite on Wednesday, if she says its too heavy to drive, then we will deffo walk away from it.

I want to find something with sub 65k on it. The Elite is a 2011 with 60k, and I have seen an SRI 2012 with 71k.

Should I be concerned about so much miles on the SRI?
With it being a diesel if not worry too much about the milage as long as it has got full service history. Just ask to check the timing belt, pulleys and Waterpump. Mine has 65k on now and is still driving perfectly.

I wouldnt let mileage put me off, as has been said, check the service history, check the number of previous owners and condition of the car
I would definitely go for the Elite over the SRI, the extra kit is worth it in the elite, add lowering springs to an elite and you'll pretty much have a SRI, You'll have to add a lot more to SRI to make in an elite. The leather seats alone are much much nicer than the cloth ones
So would I mate...all down to the wife and how she likes the drive, and the colour! GOD HELP ME! Why are women (or my woman) so picky? ITS A CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Haha.
Avoid Black it's a nightmare keeping clean!

I'd deffo go for an elite but if you do test the drivers heated seat to make sure it doesn't turn off which is a common issue.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I second the black issue. My Focus was black. Since then I've vowed never to get another black car. It shows everything from chips to scratches to general dirt.... Never!

Morning folks.
I still havent bought one. Had a busy month last month so wasnt really able to devote to much time to looking. Seen a few though and some people just want to get you down to see them, once your their, you realise what a wasted effort it was.

So, im starting my pursuit again, hopefully ill land one soon.

Really hope I can get either a white or red one. Would settle for Tech Grey, or Silver.

Still looking for a 2.0 as well.

I saw a 1.7 about a month or so ago, before I asked you guys all these questions, and at the time had his price been negotiable by even £300 I may have bought it. As it happens, his price has now tumbled and is down by £800 from his original asking price. He has contacted me again but I have declined and said im going to hold out for a 2.0. So, I guess thanks folks for making me aware of M32's, I guess the 1.7's dont sell very well either then?
I have the 2.0cdti s/s sri and it drives like a dream. Doesn't feel too heavy to me but I did come from a 1.7cdti zafira. It pulls like a train when you need it aswell. Around town driving I'm get roughly 45mpg and only seems to dip below that if I boot it. Motorway journeys usually get me around 60ish mpg.

My sisters just bought a brand new 1.4t gtc a limited edition one or something along them lines. Gorgeous car. In comparison with mine driving wise, mine feels just as new and mines a 12 plate. So maybe testament to the build quality? Feels just as solid after 4 years use. No annoying noises or anything like that.
My god, I have been to see another 3 in the last week and jeex, there are some right messed up people out there. Im from Birmingham, travelled all the way to York for what I thought was a good one, with the cash in my pocket, only to find pictures advertised were 3 months old, apart from one mark I was advised about, it had marks/grazes on nearly every corner and cracked front bumper!! Why o why do people not tell the truth. So, still on the look out !
It can be a total pain in the arse here's a couple of J's 2.0CDTI down my way.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...TRA&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...ALL&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...ALL&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified?a...-id=503909
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Appreciate that, them ones are way over my budget. I missed a great one last week, 2012 SRI CDTI in White, 54k-FSH, that went for £4650 (absolute bargain) with only 1 former keeper, private sale too, the colour we are looking for too, and we missed by about half an hour, the lady had just taken a deposit. Ideally, we want White or Red, but would settle for Black or something like Silverlake. We currently have a Metro Blue Vectra, so really want a change, just to it actually looks like a different car - LOL.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...New&page=4

£6.3k Upgrades - SATELLITE NAVIGATION, REVERSE REAR VIEW CAMERA, BLUETOOTH 60,000 miles
Seen that, and spoke to the seller...looks the dogs, but no service history and the trader has tried to trace it but to no avail! Worries me that!
It says sight and light pack also but when you look at the pictures it does not have the light switch with auto as an option, nor does it have a mirror with light sensor which tells me it definitely does not have that option.
Guys, what would be your concerns with a car having done 75k in 5 years? Would you class that as high? Its a 2.0 CDTI Astra....should I be concerned? Has full service history, etc. Anything extra I should be looking out for? Thanks.
My concerns would be gearbox, clutch & flywheel, water pump, cambelt and DPF. No matter how good the service history is, everything wears in time, so the only way to tell is to take it for a good spin and see what it feels like or pay someone like the AA etc to check it over before you buy.
They are exactly the things I was thinking of, biggest ones being the flywheel and clucth. If I bought something with those sort of miles, the first thing I would do is a cambelt amd water pump, circa £300.

If the car drove OK, would you be concerned about that mileage, or is approx 14/15k miles per annum about normal?
It's slightly above average mileage, nothing too bad, so it's probably had a mixture of town and motorway. I'm never really that fussed about mileage, as long as everything feels tight, no unusual noises/ knocks, a good service history, whether the interior has been well kept, good tyres and bodywork.
That's not high for a diesel engine.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(30:th-Oct-2016, 09:26:55)Rusty2009 Wrote: That's not high for a diesel engine.

I'm not saying the car is high mileage, I'm just stating that the average miles per year driven is around 12k, so a car with 75k over 5 years is slightly over average. I would still offer the same advice though after 5 years even if it had done 40k as the gearbox, clutch, dpf, water pump etc etc are well into their life-cycle, even more so if it's been driven by a boy racer. Ironically I would be slightly less worried on the 75k than the 40k as I would think that the dpf would have had a good amount of motorway driving along with the gearbox etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Owner - Few Questions pr0xibus 5 1,214 25:th-Feb-2023, 20:15:36
Last Post: pr0xibus
  Astra 1.6 CDTi Turbo Issues P2598 shaky411 1 2,420 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:24:05
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Vxr bumper on 5 door Astra j Sh4rk2007 10 7,808 6:th-Jun-2021, 18:25:04
Last Post: jeniferbitcoin71
  New Battery for Astra J 2013 reg 1.7 diesel Galway11 6 3,129 13:th-May-2021, 11:38:55
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Astra J 1.4T Exhaust help sammpennington 1 3,694 12:th-May-2021, 14:29:50
Last Post: azajus
  Astra j gtc modifications BillyBryan 2 1,718 9:th-May-2021, 17:15:36
Last Post: Spaghetti
  Astra J Fault code reader suggestions Euroshopper 1 1,825 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:50:12
  Astra j bonnet won't open help Paul in sheppy 2 1,981 17:th-Feb-2021, 13:13:46
Last Post: Paul in sheppy
  Astra J GTC PDC bracket milozic 5 2,259 2:nd-Feb-2021, 09:39:35
  Astra J Rear Bench Seat Clip. MrScottyMan 1 1,657 24:th-Jan-2021, 14:44:22
Last Post: Jpbroad1970

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
richardt (24:th-Feb-2024, 17:42:04)