Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
pedal pretty box j manual gone? astra expensive

Astra J manual – pedal box gone? pretty expensive!
Hi, all.

I'm new around here, first post and I'm afraid it is to ask for help and advice (though I intend to stick around as a new Astra driver and hopefully help others in time).

A few weeks ago I bought an Astra J. It is a 2001 model. Petrol 1.6 (none turbo) 5-speed manual 5-door hatchback. Oh, it's the top of the range Elite model.

However, I've noticed there is a bit of sideways play on the clutch pedal. It is noticeable when changing gear as I can feel the sideways movement, which doesn't inspire confidence as it feels like my foot could slip off it. I've grabbed the clutch pedal with my hand and I can physically move it about (I've measured) half an inch either side of its natural sitting position – one inch in total from the pushed to extreme left to the extreme right. Hope this makes sense.

I took the car to my local Vauxhall dealer, Murketts, who advised me that the pedal box had gone and it is £1,099 including parts, vat and fitting. They said it is a good 4 or 5 hours labour as a lot of the dash has to come out to do the job. Also, the pedal box would have to be ordered in from Germany or somewhere as they don't keep them in the UK. I phoned Murketts back a few hours later and spoke with the service department manager to ask him if Vauxhall could show any 'good will' towards this price, even though the car is nearly 5-years old and has covered 56,000 miles. After a phone call to Head Office I was told they could do it for £745, all in, somewhat better.

For the record, I bought the car privately, not from a dealer, and I paid cash, so talking to the seller about this is out of the question, especially as I got the car for about £1,500 less than the usual Auto Trader prices.

I've been informed by two garages, including Murketts, that the pedal box on Astra J cars are 'sealed units' and cannot be opened up to repair. I was surprised at this as, after examining the clutch pedal, it simply appears that it is simply a case of tightening a nut/bolt somewhere at the top of the shaft, which I can't see as it goes up into the car somewhere. The service manager at Murketts told me they have never had to do a pedal box, which would suggest they rarely go wrong.

I'm not sure how they diagnosed that the pedal box had gone, apart from a little sideways play on the clutch pedal, the car is tip top and drives way better (and smoother) than the BMW 530 Sport (2001 year) I just sold.]

Any advice would be much appreciated before I blow £750 to simply fix a little sideways play on the clutch pedal.

Thanks all.
Welcome to VXOC.

There have been a few people suffer from this issue although the end result was the same a new pedal box all diagnosed by dealers.

I'll look on TIS later and see if I can find any info for you.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
That's the least of your worries if you think a 1.6 petrol J drives better than a 530!
Thanks Rusty209, I'll look out for your post later.
Hope this will help it looks like there are 2 bolts / screws that could be tightened.

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ast...and_drive/
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I've had this issue. I've had it replaced under warranty once. It's come back. Is it possible those screws and bolts work their way loose? It's just a matter of tightening the bolt and screw?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weird motor sound Astra J 1.4 turbo oliv.cleiton 2 2,015 18:th-Jul-2021, 08:17:49
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra A17DTF - Timing Belt or Chain? everson38 1 1,538 17:th-Jun-2021, 12:03:07
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra j mirrors Kiel0777 2 2,106 15:th-Apr-2021, 20:34:53
Last Post: Kiel0777
  Astra won't start after some sensor cleaning? momoomar 2 3,206 3:rd-Oct-2020, 02:04:44
Last Post: momoomar
  Astra J 1.6 A16XER (115 hp) 2010 Outer Belt (and perhaps Timing Belt, too Acond 1 3,127 14:th-Aug-2020, 14:35:21
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Changing Rear Shock Absorbers. Astra-J Hatch. Replace or reuse bottom bolts? Big Dave2 5 5,091 22:nd-Jun-2020, 11:35:40
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Astra J 2011 1.7Cdti Juddering in higher gears Mark72 6 5,232 10:th-Jun-2020, 10:08:54
Last Post: Mark72
  Astra 2.0cdti dpf regen info? Boroboy 19 21,640 5:th-May-2020, 14:22:14
Last Post: Kiel0777
  2013 Astra J SRI Galway11 2 3,962 29:th-Jun-2019, 20:20:47
Last Post: niteram
  ASTRA J GENUINE LOWER SPRINGS blacknik 3 3,706 20:th-Mar-2019, 18:08:56
Last Post: Rusty2009

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
iNeoTom (29:th-Feb-2024, 07:59:32)