Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
touchscreen cd400 upgrade

CD400 upgrade/touchscreen
Hi all,

I imagine this is going to open up a whole can of worms, I apologise in advance!! :-)

I have the basic CD400 in my car currently and looking to upgrade audio quality and also would like a screen/tablet where the VX Navi usually goes. 

So a few questions.. 

* For those that have upgraded CD400 audio, is/was it worth doing? Is is a 'relatively' simple and cost effective upgrade to install better components, IE Amplifier/headunit..

* I like the steering wheel controls and have seen various link kits which would enable me to keep these function but at around £200, seems a bit steep! Are there any other options? 

* If I were to fit a tablet where the CD400 min screen is, what part (fascia) would I need to enable me to do this? Would I be keeping the gloss black surround and replacing the black/dark grey insert where the mini screen currently sits? 

If this screen is removed, do I loose any functionality? IE, bluetooth. i imagine I will loose settings page like time adjustment etc..

In reality, I'm thinking of putting a small 4G tablet in there for audio playback and sat-nav/genral apps. This surely can#'t be 'that' difficult..? 

* Is the amplifier for the exisiting speakers in the OEM headunit? 

* Can a new head unit be put in these vehicles or does it not seem worth it as you would loose most features of current set-up? 

I'm sorry for all the questions but if anyone has modded this side of their car, I'd be very interested in hearing what was done, what costs were involved and whether it's worth doing! 

TIA!

Olly
I think there was a chap trying to do this but I never heard anything more on weather then did it or not.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
You'd be completely better off going for the m072 android head unit at 290 quid or so. 7 inch android unit and all current controls on your wheel and centre console will still work.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Video demo of my unit with reverse camera

https://youtu.be/nx9rwt4S22w

https://youtu.be/kBxvDnVyfxw

You also don't lose your factory settings page, these are avaibalibe via the android UI. You loose factory Bluetooth but the unit has Bluetooth built in. You gain GPS too and sound quality appears marginally better and you have full equaliser options etc. Too

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Hi, 

Yeah I did some digging and heard about this unit but thought it was more expensive! 

Do I need a new fascia for this or is that all I'd have to purchase? 

Is that the unit from Icebox or something similar?
It's very well priced for what you get and how complete it is as a unit! As i say you lose nothing... All options are mirrored in the unit they you'd normally have on the red screen etc.

Nope! It slots into the place where your current red screen is and doesn't need any new facia or anything.

That's the one yes it's the best you're going to be able to find if you're wanting something that looks factory... A lot of people have this unit now and eveyone I know is mainly happy with it!

Not sure why but icebox auto are putting android 5.1 in one of the older Astra J units and on the new Mokka units but not the M072
Just be a newer hardware version won't it. Are they identical looking to the ones for the J or totally different?

They look like the same units that they had but with the newest android version.
Ahhh... I'd contact the seller and ask but not much point as I'm on the roadnav forums and there's no mention of 5.1 at all on there.

Never know we may get it at some point but I won't hold my breath haha. Works fine with kitkat anyway... Wouldn't say head units really need the latest OS. Be nice to have it though

(12:th-Aug-2016, 12:16:20)sheppy1 Wrote: Ahhh... I'd contact the seller and ask but not much point as I'm on the roadnav forums and there's no mention of 5.1 at all on there.

Never know we may get it at some point but I won't hold my breath haha. Works fine with kitkat anyway... Wouldn't say head units really need the latest OS. Be nice to have it though

But the screen (looks) bigger than the red screen? or does it come with the grey surround?
Yeah it is and it does come with the grey surround yeah but thay slots into the factory screen location with no modifications needed

(12:th-Aug-2016, 14:17:25)sheppy1 Wrote: Yeah it is and it does come with the grey surround yeah but thay slots into the factory screen location with no modifications needed

Nice! So a pretty straight forwards job! 

I've seen a few on their website but only seem to be up to 2012? Do you have a link to the correct one?

Is this the kiddy? 

http://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall-opel-...id-44-m072

Is this the latest one?
Yep that's the one you're looking for! But yes this is by far the most factory looking option you're going to find that's also very easy to install

As a load of us have it you can ask us any questions you may have before and after buying it (if you decide too)

(12:th-Aug-2016, 17:19:54)sheppy1 Wrote: Yep that's the one you're looking for! But yes this is by far the most factory looking option you're going to find that's also very easy to install

As a load of us have it you can ask us any questions you may have before and after buying it (if you decide too)
Yeah I'm definitely going to purchase!

Now you've said about questions... 

* Does the wiring loom that goes into the CD 400 come out and plug directly into the Android unit? 

* Does it make use of the original CD in situ? 

* Is there a guide on here for taking off the trim in my car? 

* Does it make use of the existing USB socket in the car? 
* How does the wi-fi dongle work? 

* Do you live close to Essex, can you fit? haha

Sorry for all the Q's! :( Just want to make sure it is the correct item before forking out some ££!

Forgot also.

My car had DAB radio init already, will this unit utilize it or will I have to purchase the add on?
(13:th-Aug-2016, 01:03:18)Olly-Midd Wrote:
(12:th-Aug-2016, 17:19:54)sheppy1 Wrote: Yep that's the one you're looking for! But yes this is by far the most factory looking option you're going to find that's also very easy to install

Yeah I'm definitely going to purchase!

Now you've said about questions... 

* Does the wiring loom that goes into the CD 400 come out and plug directly into the Android unit? 

* Does it make use of the original CD in situ? 

* Is there a guide on here for taking off the trim in my car? 

* Does it make use of the existing USB socket in the car? 
* How does the wi-fi dongle work? 

* Do you live close to Essex, can you fit? haha

Sorry for all the Q's! :( Just want to make sure it is the correct item before forking out some ££!

Forgot also.

My car had DAB radio init already, will this unit utilize it or will I have to purchase the add on?

I shouldn't have said anything! Haha.

Here goes!

Yes the wiring loom goes into a block on the new unit.. You then get other connectors which enable you to plug in your USB port, AUX port etc. To the android unit too as they're all separate to the main loom block.

Nope! They give you a whole new CD unit too as the unit also allows you to play DVDs which the standard CD unit doesn't. Straight swap here though

Yeah... I'll have to dig thay out for you when I'm not on my mobile. It's very easy though and takes less than 5 mins.

WiFi dongle you have two choices... You can plug a mobile data dongle into the factory USB port which will be connected to the android head unit and you get a data signal that way. You can also just get a mifi device and connect the head unit via wifi to that and get data that way... I've done both, they both work I'll have to tell you which mobile data dongle to get if you go via that route though as only some work (they're only like a tenner).

Hahaha fraid not! I'm up north... Would have come and done it for you otherwise.

DAB! Here's where most dab lovers are put off. It does not support factory dab setups. You have to buy one of their dab devices (which I have and don't use as I've nowhere to put it!). Here's the dongle with antenna!

If you wanted it then I'd sell you mine for half what they charge.

There ya go! Hope some of that helps

You sir, are a gent! 

Thank you for your replies and time! 

Shame about the DAB however I rarely use it in my car at the moment as it is! 

Can you just make your mobile a hotspot and the screen will connect to it that way? 

It looks like there is a newer version that I found on eBay which is 5. something opposed to 4.4. Should i be going for this of stick with the older more trusted unit? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO-DVD-...3ac7b684ce

But then there is this for £60 less!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTORADIO-DVD-...3d15008c88

Such confusion! 
Hehe thanks mate! Just like to help people as best I can

You can indeed use your mobile ad a hotspot... I've done that too and it works great!

Right! So it used to be that the A models (your top link) were the older and lower spec models... So they would have a dual core processor instead of a quad core and also less ram... But now it seems that is the superior version (in way of the android OS it runs) but I'm sure the M072 had more RAM (not sure though as still on mobile so can't compare). However that top one does seem pretty good! OS is newer than the M072 OS and everything else is very similar.

The bottom one though is windows and now Android so just avoid that as you'll not be able to use apps or anything like that.

As for which go go for... I'd be asking Rob form Icebox Autos (he's the owner) about the true differences between that too model and the good old M072 unit as he will clear it all up for you. I'd say stick with M072 though as a bunch of us have it and we can always assist if there are issues or if you get stuck with anything... But if Rob comes back and tells you that the top model you posted is now the superior one then I'd be going for that myself!

I've emailed Rob for you to see what the differences are between the top one you linked too and the m072 as I get on with him and we always chat he should reply quickly.

Cool, I have just emailed them (again..) to advise on which unit is the 'superior' one. Ideally I'd like the newer one and I imagine the main differences are an updated look. Specs seem to be the same..

It also has a black surround opposed to grey, the surround in the VXR is black. 

Will see what they reply with!
Reply from icebox

"Hi Dayle, my honest opinion is the M072 is still a better unit. The factory who make them, the internals, processors etc are always better. Our data shows, firmware from the factory of 5.1 is given out more than the M072 to resolve little bugs. Always fixed i may add.

My preference, Id stick with M072, graphically, the OS looks more pleasing to the eye."

So there you have it. The lollipop unit only has 5.1 as it had more bugs that needed fixing

This was my reply this morning --

HI Olly, as long as you have a CD400 then either unit will be fine. There is not much difference in the units in terms of functionality but I would say the factory of the M072 tend to offer better internal components which are more robust. 

I have my own personal preference which is the M072 as i find the graphical interface are lot more pleasing to the eye.

So looks like that's the answer! 

Thanks for your help man! 

Grande Punto Black ('06) - 2008  
Grande Punto M-Jet Orange ('06) - 2009  
Grande Punto Abarth White ('58) - 2010  
Vauxhall Astra VXR Red ('08) - 2011  
Volvo T5 Grey ('09) - 2013
Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE Black ('06) - 2014 
Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE Black ('59) - 2014 
Vauxhall Astra GTC White ('13) - 2016

Good stuff! Least the answers lined up too! Ha. Better to listen to the guy who deals with the companies directly eh. He will see all the goings on behind the scenes.

Least this way you'll get support from us that have the m072 model too no problem at all!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CD400 usb and aux not responding ste88 6 1,989 22:nd-Aug-2021, 18:16:19
Last Post: ste88
  How To Fit Sub To CD400 Head Unit TUFFKNUX 138 112,831 20:th-May-2021, 09:19:58
Last Post: h4r7y
  CD400 Plus - what does the “Plus” Add? GordyC 9 15,462 12:th-Nov-2020, 10:41:15
Last Post: Rusty2009
  NAVI 950 DAB+ Upgrade leighton.read@sky.com 10 6,262 11:th-Oct-2020, 09:17:50
  ad usb to cd400 Collie 5 3,569 9:th-Oct-2020, 16:56:47
Last Post: Collie
  GTC BT CD400+ ac1212 1 2,960 18:th-May-2020, 09:51:39
  CD400 buttons not working Android head unit install mephisto 4 7,472 27:th-Oct-2019, 17:30:00
Last Post: mephisto
  CD400 upgrade Astra vxr 2014 Nathan 6 4,750 22:nd-Oct-2019, 20:13:14
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Astra SRi CDTI VX Line - CD400 Upgrade options AdaKer 3 3,907 13:th-Aug-2019, 06:48:28
Last Post: Schiffers
  CD400 FAULTY kjohns80 2 3,726 7:th-May-2019, 11:05:06
Last Post: Big Dave2

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
dinamitar (16:th-Feb-2024, 19:48:37)