Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
headunit? the anyone have car vision

Anyone have the Car Vision headunit?
Hi, any one got this headunit installed? I just had one installed and whilst it looks really nice and the integration with all the controls is nice I have some quirks. Wondering what others have managed to do to fix them..

My biggest gripe is the navigation audio. Its seems to do different things depending on what music source is playing, none seem perfect:

Radio is playing: To be honest this is the best one, it completely stops the radio so you can hear navigation fine
CD is playing: Same as with radio is complete silences the CD so navigation is fine to hear, but it seems to actually stop / spool down the CD player so there is a unreasonable delay before the audio comes back AND it displays a 'loading CD' message every single time - very annoying when you want alerts for speed cameras and you're getting nav alerts all the time
Bluetooth, Link Pod are playing: I'm not sure I am dreaming this but there seems to be no muting / quieting of the audio playback during nav messages, it just plays them over the top.. I can't tell what the nav is saying?

Call me nit picky but at £650 and allegedly 'fully integrated' I expected more. The sat nav is fine and gets you from A to B, but I now don't like having but radio playing when I'm using it. The whole point of upgrading was to to get all the extra audio sources and sat nav.

My second again I think this is a big one.. when the sun shines into the car onto the unit, it mostly obscures the display. It kind of goes grey over, its strange to explain. It makes it really difficult to see they sat nav. I've tried turning up the brightness but it seems to be all the way up? I changed the map colours to the strongest / brightest colours I could and it helped, but again £650 and you can't read it in sunlight? I never have this problem with my iPhone on the dash (how I always used sat nav before). Maybe it is possible to get into Windows CE and ramp up the brightness or something?

Hoping there are some solutions as whilst it has some really nice features I'm feeling a bit of buyers remorse now. I took the most expensive option as it all sounded great, but none of these things were advertised or explained.

Thanks
I've always advised everyone to steer well clear of Car vision they are over priced and there after sales customer service if you have an issue is disgraceful.

In the end I took the unit out and sold it on at a loss.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I actually just got a reply from him. I explained the different scenarios with the units nav messages depending on the audio playback at the time, answered each question with:

Answer - Yes this is normal. The unit has two Audio cards, MP3, Navi and Bluetooth, are used by one, and the other is used for DVD, etc.

So basically I guess the way it is is the best it will get..

I asked about the brightness of the screen (obviously I had already tried to increase the brightness within the settings):

Answer – Go to APPS>OPTIONS DESPLAY and check if the brightness is set-to 100% if not slide the bar to 100, if so then there is nothing more that can be done.

So basically they use a screen which is not bright enough and can not be read in daylight.. nothing can be fixed. They must already know this after fitting them a while??

I also asked if it were possible to add a USB dongle for Wifi so I can share my phones internet (their website insinuates you can add dongles) to get traffic running. Says no..

Yeah I am disappointed. I think I will join you in saying stay clear of this unit. It has some nice features and looks half OEM and admittedly does integrate with all the dash buttons nicely, but at this price a non-readable display in sunlight is not accepted for a cars dash. The nav messages are also useless if you are playing anything but radio.
How long have you had it fitted for? I would ask for a full refund and use the sale of goods act (NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE) you may not have much luck them unless you take them to court, if you paid via credit card phone them and see if they can help also even debit cards now have some protection so it could be worth ringing your bank, I think it's called claim back or something like that.

Have you seen the thread that Sheppy has done on an Aftermarket unit that looks OEM and again works with the controls everyone seems happy with that unit and I've heard any complaints it's also half the price.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I had it installed Friday. Straight away on the drive home (2 hours) I could tell I was regretting it when I could barely see the screen and nav instructions weren't comprehensible. Had the reversing camera and everything.

Rusty why did you remove yours? What problems were you having?
I would send them an email saying it's not fit for purpose and you would like to return it for a full a refund, out line the issues and give them 7 working days.

Also could be worth you putting a post in this thread and ask if they have the issue's with the unit they have all fitted.
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-M07...stall-Info

If you don't want to make the drive back to Car vision we can help you with removing the unit.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Car vision dont seem to be a good company. I hope u get ur money back
I just sat playing with some of the other stuff. He told me you could attach a hard drive. Format it NTFS he said..

Turns out its FAT32 it should be so no chance of playing any HD movie files because of the file system filesize limitations. So I dropped on a 700mb xvid. Too dark and washed out to watch comfortably, can't adjust the brightness or contrast at all. So that's a waste of time (this is sat on my drive in the shade too).

I tried loading on some MP3's after tagging them all and adding cover art. The playback by USB or harddrive of music is awful. It just lists everything in one big list, there is no menu to view by artist or anything else. You just get a long list which isn't scrolable or sortable. The cover art does not show (it just permanently shows a Vauxhall logo). It's also slow as hell, skipping to the next track takes 8 seconds?!?

In their defence the playback when connected to the phone is OK and does have all the menus etc. But still..
You need to remove it and take it back.
Wow, doesn't sound good at all especially what you had to pay for it. Hope you can get refunded for it. M072 Android unit costs half that and works well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Any update on this?

(11:th-Jun-2016, 07:31:52)marcus Wrote: Any update on this?

From my dealings with Carvision or (Drive audio) as they seem to use both names it will take some time for anybody to get anywhere.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New headunit carlosfootball 1 1,157 12:th-Sep-2021, 13:46:17
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Sports Tourer DAB+ on Android Headunit MikeyP247 2 2,634 2:nd-Nov-2019, 17:11:28
Last Post: niteram
  Headunit advice needed shabba 12 5,282 13:th-Apr-2018, 19:09:49
Last Post: andru