Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
charging a non 6 turbo elite 1

Turbo charging a non-turbo 1.6 Elite
Has anyone taken a turbo from the 1.6T Astra J and installed it on the non-turbo engine?

I'm looking into doing it to my 1.6 non-turbo Elite.

Any information would be awesome and I also apologise if there's a thread that already exists for this. I couldn't find any...

Cheers!
I think a lot of work would be involved in this. Might be easier just to get a new car.
intresting tho altho id be intrested in biturbo ing a 2.0 cdti, for me there was always one car missing in the line up, a luxury astra elite but with biturbo, im not keen on the black and red tyre interior, bit child like
It would certainly be hard work to "turbo" a non turbo engine, its not just a case of bolting on turbo, might be easier to actually fit a 1.6T engine rather than "turbo" your existing car

I would have thought fitting a bigger turbo to a 2.0 cdti would be the route to go rather than going the bi-turbo route
(26:th-Apr-2016, 11:00:54)raimon Wrote: I think a lot of work would be involved in this. Might be easier just to get a new car.

I don't want a new car lol. I have 1.6 Elite in a lovely spec and I adore it. I'm fairly sure it was impossible to get my exact car with a turbo from the factory back in 2010, which is why I want to go to the trouble of fitting a turbo onto mine. It'll be a bit unique.

(26:th-Apr-2016, 17:06:33)andy2174 Wrote: It would certainly be hard work to "turbo" a non turbo engine, its not just a case of bolting on turbo, might be easier to actually fit a 1.6T engine rather than "turbo" your existing car

I would have thought fitting a bigger turbo to a 2.0 cdti would be the route to go rather than going the bi-turbo route

That's a fair point. I am considering that also, but if I'm going to swap the engine I'd probably look into a 2.0 vxr or something rather than just the 1.6T.

I'd be interested to see blueprints/diagrams of the 1.6T and non turbo engine side by side, because I honestly thought it would just be a case of adding the stock turbo from the 1.6T and all the turbo specific parts... I'd assume that anyway as car manufacturers make everything compatible and what not to make assembly quicker and easier etc.
It will certainly be unique

I am sure you could probably get some form of low boost turbo kit, with little engine mods and probably not even an intercooler, however, it wont give a lot more power either, it would probably easier to go for head work and cam to your existing car

I am sure the full fat 1.6T, was 180bhp and if you are looking for that figure you will need a lot of internal engine mods (pistons, valves etc) as well as a turbo, engine management, intercooler and all of the associated plumbing

It will certainly cost, a lot, probably not far off the value of your car
(26:th-Apr-2016, 19:00:28)andy2174 Wrote: It will certainly be unique

I am sure you could probably get some form of low boost turbo kit, with little engine mods and probably not even an intercooler, however, it wont give a lot more power either, it would probably easier to go for head work and cam to your existing car

I am sure the full fat 1.6T, was 180bhp and if you are looking for that figure you will need a lot of internal engine mods (pistons, valves etc) as well as a turbo, engine management, intercooler and all of the associated plumbing

It will certainly cost, a lot, probably not far off the value of your car

Hmm, you sure do talk sense haha. I have a lot of thinking to do. Perhaps I'll look into the head and cam for now, I had thought of this to be honest and I'm glad you brought it up. Thanks

And yeah, probably an expensive goal. But then I knew that hehe
it can be done but realistically if your not doing all the work yourself you'd be looking at upwards of 5 grand easy just to get a turbo installed, cooling, pipeing the works. Then you've got to think about spending all that money to run on low to average boost without major engine work, pistons valves rods etc. Plus a new map on the ECU or better an aftermarket one. Its definitely achievable but you would be better buying a turbo engine, with all the looms and control units and swapping it over.
We are all thinking the same thing if you have the funds for an engine swap you are as well to go all out and get a VXR engine with customer wiring, ecu ect.

That way you would have a proper sleeper that would scare the crap out of most people including the Focus ST guys.
vxr would be amazing, you would need a quaife lsd tho lol
(27:th-Apr-2016, 10:22:03)bruce_19 Wrote: We are all thinking the same thing if you have the funds for an engine swap you are as well to go all out and get a VXR engine with customer wiring, ecu ect.

That way you would have a proper sleeper that would scare the crap out of most people including the Focus ST guys.

Now I like the sound of that!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Astra 1.6 CDTi Turbo Issues P2598 shaky411 1 2,521 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:24:05
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? UseThe4s 2 2,533 18:th-Apr-2021, 09:58:47
Last Post: UseThe4s
  Turbo failure common? Euroshopper 2 2,444 24:th-Nov-2020, 08:35:48
Last Post: Rusty2009
  elite heated seat issue Qaranc 7 4,084 30:th-Jan-2019, 11:13:49
Last Post: Big Dave2
  !.4 Turbo remap Midlands simsgtc 5 4,046 15:th-Jul-2018, 21:51:29
Last Post: simsgtc
  Astra 1.6 Turbo Engine light P0171 abba34 1 4,948 7:th-Aug-2017, 04:21:09
Last Post: sanj424
  2013 Astra j elite 2.0 mpg Badenj 14 7,864 11:th-Feb-2017, 17:30:24
Last Post: andy2174
  Astra 2.0 Cdti elite auto? marcus01 12 7,179 9:th-Dec-2016, 21:40:30
Last Post: Tonto
  So I got an Astra J 63plate 2.0cdti Ecoflex s/s elite Hawki341 14 8,335 27:th-Nov-2016, 23:28:52
Last Post: Boroboy
  62 2.0 CDTI Elite remap Ukgeezer 9 6,883 12:th-Jul-2016, 11:02:02
Last Post: marcus