Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
multimedia j reverse interface astra insignia 600 camera navi

Multimedia interface, reverse camera, navi 600, insignia, astra j.

THIS HOW TO IS FOR THE MULTIMEDIA VIDEO INTERFACE BOX FOR THE NAVI 600/900 ON THE ASTRA J AND THE INSIGNIA
THIS WILL GIVE YOU THE REVERSE CAMERA FUNCTIONALITY ON THE FACTORY NAV DISPLAY.

The box can be found at xcarlink, the link is here. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...zWDkRAO12g

The box can be found at other retailers also average price is around £200 ono.

The box will give you the reverse camera and also DVD and TV etc if other accessors are added to it
you must order the correct box for your car CD500 CD800 Navi 500 Navi 600/900 etc so ask first
there were instructions that came with the box but they were very vague and gave the wrong acc wire to take power.

This is what you get in the box you can buy the box with an optional camera but i chose to buy my own separately
i opted for the number plate light camera unit with built in LED lights other types of cameras are available and the wiring for the camera may differ from the how to.

.......FIRST STEP ASSEMBLE THE BOX.......

Not all the leads will be needed unless you want to wire up the DVD etc
this how to will only cover the reverse camera part.

Start to assemble the GVIF leads and the main loom first as shown

Next identify the wires needed for the camera and ACC 12 volt power and ground.

1. Red acc 12 volt for interface box i have added a piggyback fuse (optional) for power for this wire
but i ended up running this wire to the battery positive for 12 volt power.
2. Orange reverse trigger wire.
3. Yellow RGB plug camera.

Connect the red and white RGB plugs together
then find the yellow and black wires on the main loom the yellow b+ wire is not needed it is for accessory power output
the black wire is for ground use a spade connector to ground it to a ground point
after that the box is set up ready to fit to the car.

The yellow wire with the piggyback fuse is not needed in this picture
it is for acc output power i have been told.

THE LEFT OVER CABLES ETC ARE FOR THE DVD TV ETC SET UP PART
AND WILL NOT BE NEEDED UNLESS YOU WANT TO DO THAT.

........NEXT INSTALL THE REAR CAMERA TO THE CAR......

Install the rear camera light unit and add the bulb to it and then bring the cables into the car

I will be fitting a relay to stop any interference from the canbus signal for the lights interfering with the picture quality on the navi display
this is an optional option but highly recommended.  

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...K8lM_iDXXw

PIN-87 - Connect this terminal to a permanent positive live - A good 12V Feed. Connect an inline fuse, 5 amp should be fine.
PIN-85 - This goes to Earth or Body
PIN-30 - Connect to the Live of your Camera - 12V supply fed from PIN-87 (Switched)
PIN-86 - +12Volt Feed, (This is connected to the Positive side of your reversing lamp - In most new cars the power is way lower than required to support your camera, therefore we can use this 3V, or 5V as a trigger.

I have used a grommet in the wheel well to bring the cables into the car
next connect the yellow and red RGB plugs together
then join the red camera power wire and red reverse trigger wires together
so you now have one positive with a spade connector on the wire this is now the camera power wire
and the black wire is ground and add a round earth connector to the wire
they both will go to the rear fuse box cubby hole
and the other camera yellow RGB plug and red trigger wire will then be routed to the passenger footwell ready to connect to the interface box.

Next ground the black ground wire from the camera to a ground point in the cubby hole
the astra j will use a nut near the fuse box i have used a different location on the insignia
then fit the relay to somewhere out of the way in the rear fuse box cubby hole
and ground pin 85 from the relay to the same ground point location also.

Next attach the red camara positive wire to pin 30 on the relay
then tap into the reverse wire white and green on the tail light and run the wire to pin 86 on the relay
then connect a wire to pin 87 on the relay and add an inline 5 amp fuse and then a piggy back fuse and tap into a 12 volt feed from the fuse box
tidy the wires up and make sure they're stored nice and safe.

.....NEXT STEP INSTALL THE INTERFACE BOX TO THE NAVI.....

Remove the glove box and head unit and display etc from the car a how to can be found in the how to section
and find a good place behind the glove box to mount the interface box and route the two looms into the headunit area
remove the blue GVIF cable from the back of the factory navi display and plug that into the new female GVIF connector on the interface box
then plug the male GVIF cable from the interface box back into the factory navi display.

Remove the main factory block connector from the back of the navi head unit and connect up the male/female main connector from the interface box
and plug the factory block into the female connector on the interface loom
then run the ground wire into the passenger footwell and ground the wire to ground point on the bulkhead.

Next connect the yellow RGB plug from the camera to the yellow RGB plug on the interface box
then join the red trigger wire from the camera to the orange triger wire on the interface box.

I took the red acc wire from the interface box for a 12 volt feed and threaded it through the grommet in the fire wall
i added an 5 amp inline fuse and attached it to the positive on the battery for a clean 12 volt power source.

Next test the camera is working correctly and that the led lights on the box are lighting up correctly
then tidy up all the wires and fix the interface box somewhere out of the way and reassemble the head unit.

...........DAY MODE...........

..........NIGHT MODE.........

if you have the other type of interface box FOSP from car solutions the black box type then follow this how to

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...h-Navi-900

Note to insignia owners i had to modify this type of camera unit to get the right angle for the lines
a center camera will be a better option for you astra j owners should have no problems.

AS WITH ALL ELECTRICAL HOW TOO,S.
You do This at Your own Risk if you Follow the How to Correctly
There Should be no Problems Thank You.
how to now complete.
Top work mate
awesome job mate :P love it
Nice one mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I have just fitted one of the xcarlink boxes to my gtc to get my retrofitted OEM rear camera working. I did originally try to get it to work as per factory, but due to mine being a VXR the coding would not allow it.

I did thin out the xcarlink loom considerably, only three wires now go to the back of the Navi 950 = red wire +12v, CAN low, CAN high [I joined the red +12v wire to the yellow +12v wire]
The negative goes direct to the chassis, the orange wire direct to the green/white (reversing lights) and the camera video feed goes direct to the rear camera.

Thats all that was left, the rest got binned

Hopefully there won't be any RFI, but time will tell ....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Install a Reverse Camera in an Astra J with Navi 900 Summit 22 35,417 22:nd-Feb-2021, 07:59:27
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How to fit a Front Grill Astra J tucpal 3 27,122 1:st-Mar-2019, 18:51:22
Last Post: blacknik
  How To: Fit aftermarket Reverse Sensors sheppy1 220 119,024 18:th-Sep-2018, 16:02:56
Last Post: stestrange82
  How to remove Wing Mirror Covers, Astra j tucpal 12 29,929 5:th-May-2017, 20:37:31
Last Post: Tonto
  How-to remove front bumper from Astra-j (MK6 5 Door Facelift) Rusty2009 31 48,713 28:th-Dec-2016, 22:58:13
Last Post: tucpal
  HOW TO: De-Badge Rear and side of astra J Cameron UK 18 20,692 5:th-Apr-2015, 10:55:10
Last Post: tucpal