Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
bright super lights boot

Super Bright Boot Lights

Welcome to my tutorial on how to fit VERY bright LED panels to the boot compartment.

You have two choices here…either simply replace the ONE factory unit that’s already in place…or add some additional wiring to the factory wiring, run it through to the other side and cut another hole so you can then have TWO of these LED strips installed. If you’re wanting TWO boot lights then follow this tutorial first then come back to mine afterwards, if not then just follow mine right now

Extra Boot Light Tutorial

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...boot-light

Okay…now on to how to fit the extra bright LED panel to one or both sides of your boot

So…You’ll want to start by buying a pair of these if you haven’t already:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400756072653?_...EBIDX%3AIT

There are others out there and these are NOT the specific ones i bought as i got mine from another seller a year ago but they look identical..And these are also cheaper than what I paid too.

Anyway, so once you have those you’ll want to cut off all the stuff you don’t need like this:

Now you’ll want to go to your car and remove the boot light holder (just pops out). Then you’ll need to cut off the factory connector like so:

Now that you’ve done this you can start to widen and lengthen the factory light hole. Your best bet here is to use a stanley knife as it will slice right through the boot material…widen it every so slightly by around a few MMs…you don’t need to widen it too far. You’ll want to lengthen the hole by quite a bit…you’re better off cutting towards the FRONT of the car until you can’t any further due to you hitting the metal frame:

Then you’ll want to cut towards the BACK of the car until you hit a pice of grey plastic trim. Once you hit this you’re gonna need to trim a few MMs of the grey plastic trim off to make way for the LED panel. You literally just need to shave off the plastic bit by bit and then keep checking to see if the bulb strip will fit into it. Do this all around bit by bit for the grey plastic trim and also the fabric boot section itself until the LED panel fits snugly

Next you’ll want to remove the LED panel again as you’ll be wiring the thing up now. This bit is easy and you simply need to wire positive to positive and negative to negative like so:

Then secure the wiring by crimping or soldering or just electrical tape and then slot it all back in and voila! Job done Obviously if you followed the tutorial at the top to fit the second boot light then you’ll have the wiring over that side and can follow the above steps to fit yourself another super bright LED panel.

Enjoy being able to actually see something in your boot! 

Comparison with LED bulb in factory holder on the left and my new super bright LED block on the right:

Night time pics

And yes I do have a lot of water in the boot haha

I'll get a pic in the dark now I have the super bright LED blocks on both sides

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Didn't know you had to cut to the back of the "cat" haha
Balls! Yeah.. The cat pay not want that so better cut towards the back of the car instead haha

Well done they look alot better than the LED bulb i may give that a go
and change the LED bulb ones i have.
Ta mate! yeah may aswell, cheap and easy mod that's way better than those led bulbs! How is it in the insignia then? Do they still only have one rubbish bulb on one side of the boot?

the same mate it had the hole on the other side but nothing in there
so i got hold of one and i wired it in and put LED bulbs inside them
but have you seen how big my boot is in the insignia
i could sleep in it Haha the LED bulbs need to be a lot brighter
so this looks like a better option for me so cheers mate.
No problem at all!

Hahaha I haven't seen it no but I can imagine it's like having a candle in the dark trying to light up a huge boot with one or even two of those bulbs!

Seem to be really cheap for those led blocks now. @rusty2009 found that one I linked too and it's like 15 quid for the pair... I I paid over 25 quid for mine when I used them as Reg plate bulbs!

WOW mate they look awesome!!
Ha cheers @kris they make sooooo much difference! Good to be able to see something in there as I say!

Thanks Sheppy, only noticed last week that my boot didn't have a light in it. Took me a year to realise this....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Hahaha I'm surprised you didn't notice when you couldn't see anything at night! These new ones I have installed are immense! It lights up the boot light a Christmas tree! Sooooo much better and can't believe I never thought to use those led blocks for this purpose before now! Ha

Deffo doing this thanks for the how-to @sheppy1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
No problem mate

Ordered my lights today hope they hurry up so I can fit them

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Not coming from China are they mate?! Surprised you didn't have any in your attic

(18:th-Feb-2016, 20:45:28)sheppy1 Wrote: Not coming from China are they mate?! Surprised you didn't have any in your attic

No mate Germany (didn't take notice when I ordered them) says they will be here 23rd-2nd.

No I only needed 1 set I was gonna try and have yours before you had this great idea.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ahhhhh typical! I do that often too... order something expecting it to come that week then realise it's coming from China or something! Ha

I did it a little different to @sheppy1.

I got some 501 bulb holders

I did a nice solder joint on the extra boot light.

On the other side I de-pined the connector and wrapped the wires around the pins then put heat shrink over it.

I also left the resistor plug on and just put som heat shrink over it.

I also found I had to cut the ridges off the side of lamp this meant I didn't have to cut more trim away.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks for this post, having come from a Veccie C with 2 LED lights to an astra J with one dim bulb im struggling again...

the fit of the lights seems straightforward enough and I dont forsee any issues, but how did you route the wiring around the boot to the other side for the 2nd 'new' light?

Phil.
-------------------------
Ive given up golf.
The only time I hit 2 balls straight
was when i trod on the bunker rake
Phlyer Phil
------------------------
Head In The Clouds
Mind In The Gutter

(11:th-Aug-2017, 17:22:02)phlyer Wrote: Thanks for this post, having come from a Veccie C with 2 LED lights to an astra J with one dim bulb im struggling again...

the fit of the lights seems straightforward enough and I dont forsee any issues, but how did you route the wiring around the boot to the other side for the 2nd 'new' light?

Phil.
Ive given up golf.

Here you go see this link.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Nice one sheppy, i was thinking of doing this but im pretty sure the gf will find the wheelchair well enough :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(12:th-Aug-2017, 07:07:34)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(11:th-Aug-2017, 17:22:02)phlyer Wrote: Thanks again. completed the fit what a difference !!  Being mobile rail staff I have a boot full of stuff and am out frequently at all hours.  Now i can see to sort my gear out with ease.  

Phil.
Ive given up golf.

Here you go see this link.
Phlyer Phil
------------------------
Head In The Clouds
Mind In The Gutter

Wrong topic. To delete.
Just did this mod. 5 minute job actually.
All you have to do is make the hole larger exactly like in Sheppy's pictures, cut a little bit of the plastic on one side.

And then what I did was remove the halogen bulb from the holder and just plug in the connector of the new led light in the place where the lamp was of the old light.
Then I just jammed the whole old light inside the hole (that is now bigger) and fitted the new led light snugly. There is room engough for everything, but not too much room so it wont be moving around and come loose.

No cutting wires, no soldering

Oh and take Rusty's advice and cut the plastic ridges that are on one side, it will make it fit better.
Hi all, can anyone post the link of the light holder and the bulb type to do this mod?

The old links are not working
(11:th-Nov-2020, 09:02:42)Arkanggel10 Wrote: Hi all, can anyone post the link of the light holder and the bulb type to do this mod?

501 or T10 bulb holders 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-T10-W5W-50...SwFTde6344

LED number plate lamps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vect...SwmgJY7WpP
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(12:th-Nov-2020, 10:46:31)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(11:th-Nov-2020, 09:02:42)Arkanggel10 Wrote: Hi all, can anyone post the link of the light holder and the bulb type to do this mod?

501 or T10 bulb holders 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-T10-W5W-50...SwFTde6344

LED number plate lamps
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vect...SwmgJY7WpP

Thanks Rusty, by the way, i left you 1 email in http://www.vxocelectrabizz.co.uk/Products.html

and 2 private messages here, if you can get back to me when you have time....

thanks again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to ambient door lights tucpal 214 119,370 28:th-Mar-2021, 00:48:32
Last Post: Benk91
  how to install FOOT WELL LIGHTS tucpal 136 72,852 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:00:17
Last Post: Rusty2009
  How-to Extra boot light Rusty2009 65 40,084 7:th-Jan-2019, 08:41:31
  How to fit courtesy lights in mirrors kyle-astra-j 21 16,401 18:th-Feb-2018, 06:15:13
Last Post: Leigh0274
  Upgrading Fog lights on J 5 door GarethMyers14 4 8,178 17:th-Nov-2017, 02:25:38
Last Post: sanj424
  How to Puddle Lights Rusty2009 22 20,283 6:th-Nov-2017, 20:16:44
Last Post: zzattack
  HOW TO LED TAIL LIGHTS tucpal 31 22,855 24:th-Oct-2017, 12:29:02
Last Post: Grimo72
  how to upgrade interior lights to SMD LED tucpal 91 49,323 2:nd-Aug-2016, 13:42:21

Who read this thread?
1 User(s) read this thread:
phlyer (27:th-Apr-2023, 21:42:19)