Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
tyres

Tyres
So im looking for a set of 4 245/35/20

Ive found nexen 8000 or the nankan ns2. they both have decent reviews and im just wondering has anyone else used them? 

My other choice is the khuma tyres which have similar ratings but are £100 more for the set.

thanks
I've tried non big brand tyres before (not Michelin, Dunlop, etc) & I find they do not wear well or as quiet but guess it depends on the mileage you do.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
I had Hankook Ventus EVO2 on my VXR and where pretty good

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i do about 6-8k per year. i dont mind paying up to £125 a corner but didnt wanna go more than £500 for the tyres. someone else said runway which are on blackcircle and are like £75 a tyre fitted. Im just not clued up on tyres. you see people say they paid £175 for a tyre and still call it a crap one. then you see some cheaper ones with better ratings and reviews than expensive ones etc.
When it comes to tyres go for the best rated you can afford its the only thing keeping you on the black stuff.

My K has Bridgestone Turanza and there shocking they spin up in 2nd gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Totally agree! Always go all out when it comes to tyres and breaks... Two things you should not cheap out on

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Thats what I am saying. There are premium tyres rated f for fuel, c for wet grip and 74 db noise.

Theres cheaper tyres than them rates C for fuel A for wet grip and C for noise with 71db.

So your saying the cheaper ones are better?

Or are you saying i should pay more for the premium which are rated worse?

Bridgestone Potenza (what I have on my car now)

£268 a tyre on Black circle but rated F, C and 72 noise.

Black Circles own choice of tyre the quality one

£79 a tyre Rates E, B and 71 noise...

This is why I am confused...
Hmmmm that's very confusing! Tbh I don't know anything about all those ratings! I simply went off forum reviews and professional reviews and then found both the Pirelli and the Contis that I mentioned to be the best... I didn't compare any of the ratings on black circles

Can you not find out what came on those alloys from the factory and then get the same?

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

Well from the factory it's obviously top of the line. But like baz says above not all top makes perform the best. I phoned some garages around me here and they were recommending the nankang and nexen as well but for about 30-40 quid more per tyre than what I can get online.

It is very confusing and at the same time I don't wanna spend £600 for premium tyres that perform as good as or in some cases worse than medium range ones.
The VXRs originally came with Pirelli which are a soft tyre compound. The later VXRs came with Michelin, some owners got a recall to change from Pirelli to Michelin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(8:th-Feb-2016, 13:43:00)cornishtaz Wrote: The VXRs originally came with Pirelli which are a soft tyre compound. The later VXRs came with Michelin, some owners got a recall to change from Pirelli to Michelin.

But when you say to go by rating baz how do you know which to go by when cheaper tyres can have better ratings than premiums?
It'll come down to your driving style. Do you want grippy tyres as these are softer tend to be a bit more expensive and don't last as long not as fuel efficient, or do you want longevity as these tend to be a harder compound slightly cheaper and not as grippy but more fuel efficient.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well I don't go doing 100mph so longerivity AND grip on the wet is what I'm mainly after mate. Don't care about the fuel rating as they are almost all on e-c
I wont use anything other than Falkens, atm Ze914

Cheapest place is Camskill Tyres
camskill arent the cheapest mate. they all vary, but i find openeo, tyreleader and blackcircle very vry good on price.
(8:th-Feb-2016, 22:05:02)Kris Wrote: camskill arent the cheapest mate. they all vary, but i find openeo, tyreleader and blackcircle very vry good on price.

I meant just for the Falkens m8, they were the cheapest last I bought, but that was bout 9 month ago
(8:th-Feb-2016, 22:15:16)Bloopeta Wrote:
(8:th-Feb-2016, 22:05:02)Kris Wrote: camskill arent the cheapest mate. they all vary, but i find openeo, tyreleader and blackcircle very vry good on price.

I meant just for the Falkens m8, they were the cheapest last I bought, but that was bout 9 month ago

ohhh got you now mate my bad : think im gonna order the nexen and just see how they go as 2 garages round here said they were pretty good for £110 a corner but of course i can get them for £75 a corner online.
My other J had Conti's all round and my current one has Nexens. If I'm honest I can't really tell the difference other than my current J holds slightly better in corners
due some tyres myself very soon either going for conti sport 5 or goodyear eagle f1.2
I've used nangkang ns2 before and will never use them again. The tread is rock hard so no grip at all in the wet. Currently have Nexen Nferas at the minute which are from camskill and very happy with them and the price. I wouldn't put runways on either from what I've heard. Camskill have some kumhos for a decent price for your size.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I ordered 4 x Bridgestone potenzas in the end they were £35 a corner more than the khumo but they are what's on my car now and had all 4 for £560 so not too bad. But I've also gotta pay to get them fitted etc now when I pick my alloys up tomorrow
I had Potenzas on my diesel GTC couldn't wait to get rid of them and fitted Continentals with a massive improvement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(13:th-Feb-2016, 19:40:54)cornishtaz Wrote: I had Potenzas on my diesel GTC couldn't wait to get rid of them and fitted Continentals with a massive improvement.

Really? Well they are whas on here now anyway and i kinda like these well ive had no worries anyway so hopefully they do ok. Only for the summer anyway as im keeping my 19's for winter wheels.
I must be a rarity.... When I went into the tyre shop with a blown out Bridgestone first thing I said was I didn't want another one. I just stick the cheapest one on.

In fairness I can tell the difference in wet grip with the tyres I have on now but other than that they seem as good as the Bridgestone in normal driving conditions. Maybe I need to reevaluate my tyre choice in the future but I just don't see the point in spending hundreds per corner when I've had many good experiences with budget brand both currently and in the past.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
I found Bridgestone ok in the dry but rubbish in the wet. My 1.6cdti K comes with Bridgestone Turanza and they spin in 2nd and TC goes crazy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I saw this on TV the other day... Worth a watch

https://youtu.be/GYoh1xNTs7w

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(14:th-Feb-2016, 22:46:48)cornishtaz Wrote: I found Bridgestone ok in the dry but rubbish in the wet. My 1.6cdti  K comes with Bridgestone Turanza and they spin in 2nd and TC goes crazy.

I cancelled my others mate and have ordered these from tyreleader - Hankook
Ventus S1 EVO2 K117

£501.88 so im well happy with that. picked my vxr wheels up today and they are perfect and the vxr steering wheel and gear stick make a great difference. Cant wait for my tyres to come now and get them on the weekend hopefully.
They are going to look great on the car.
(14:th-Feb-2016, 23:04:37)tucpal Wrote: They are going to look great on the car.

Cheers mate got the steering wheel and gear knob on already. Cant believe how much of a difference they make. Absolute bargain for £180. They wheels look brand new, not a mark on them and had them for £300. Money well spent
you certanly got a great deal on these alloys thats for sure
and the rest total bargain and a very lucky find
(14:th-Feb-2016, 22:52:03)Kris Wrote:
(14:th-Feb-2016, 22:46:48)cornishtaz Wrote: I found Bridgestone ok in the dry but rubbish in the wet. My 1.6cdti  K comes with Bridgestone Turanza and they spin in 2nd and TC goes crazy.

I cancelled my others mate and have ordered these from tyreleader - Hankook
Ventus S1 EVO2 K117

£501.88 so im well happy with that. picked my vxr wheels up today and they are perfect and the vxr steering wheel and gear stick make a great difference. Cant wait for my tyres to come now and get them on the weekend hopefully.

I have these great tyres grip well.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Yep I had the Hankook on my VXR very good tyre
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yup that's why I looked at them baz. They've got great reviews and these are supposed to be better than the evo1 so we'll see. Was a good price anyway at £125 a corner better pay the extra £100 than have dangerous tyres.

@rusty2009 how many miles have you done in them mate? I see people saying they are getting 20/30000 miles lol. Most I've ever had out of a set is about 9000 lol. How is it possible to get 20k out of a tyre??
I've only done around 1000 so far the J does not get used daily.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Sweet. I just wanted to know if they last long or not lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wobble after new tyres Craig2305 2 1,428 22:nd-Feb-2021, 09:17:25
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04 Tyres Vx-Mad-G 3 2,848 15:th-Mar-2019, 14:02:43
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  Winter/seasonal tyres? Exlabman 4 2,965 1:st-Feb-2019, 08:36:56
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Tyres-225/45/17 instead of 225/50/17 ??? Vx-Mad-G 5 3,937 17:th-Oct-2018, 13:30:38
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
  Tyres Elad1962 1 2,518 14:th-Oct-2018, 22:51:46
Last Post: Jopo2311
  Tyres - what have you got on your car ? Dennis S 11 5,248 5:th-Aug-2018, 14:41:46
Last Post: mislav_os
  Which tyres should I have? Comments please....have a few choices Vx-Mad-G 28 10,997 7:th-Mar-2017, 06:50:45
Last Post: J1ODYA
  235/40 zr 19 tyres chrisb2511 5 4,646 1:st-Aug-2016, 18:55:16
Last Post: chrisb2511
  Accelera PHI tyres. bannan 6 5,392 7:th-Jun-2016, 22:14:51
Last Post: bannan
  Tyres for 18" Lewis6317 30 15,239 4:th-Jan-2015, 19:18:30
Last Post: tucpal