Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
to male a type usb factory

Factory USB to USB Type A Male
Hi All,

I keep pestering rusty about this and he's probably getting fed up of me! Ha. Also j want to keep as much info here on the forum as possible... So here goes.

Does anyone know how to go about changing the end of the factory USB connector (end that goes into the back to the head unit) to be a USB type A male instead of the vauxhall standard connector? Rusty tried to explain it a bit but I'm still confused

Could be as easy as he said which is to cut the factory end off and splice the wires into a USB type A male connector... But would the wires inside factory cable be the same as those in any off the shelf type a cable?

Cheers

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

If the number of wires are the same but why do you want to do it
If I do that then i can connect the factory USB to the new head unit. Any idea what colour the wires are inside the factory cable?

do you have a factory usb connector and tray for it ?? whats wrong with the one on the headunit you are getting
can you not just fit that in the tray in the factory position
I do yeah... And the one that comes with the head unit is just your standard female usb type a... It wouldn't fit into the factory surround as that's custom made for the factory USB isn't it...

sorry i see what you are trying to do now
but i think you need to see the head unit and its connectors as adding the factory usb may not be possible

the factory usb works through a module and sends data to to head unit and then the screen
and you are getting rid of the factory cd400 and display so this may not work
plus the usb connector for the factory module is for input use for a device
so join that to the usb input for the new headunit
and then where will your input usb be for you phone etc.
may be i am not understanding you correctly

can you show me what unit you are getting is it a gen 2
then i can see what you are trying to do
Will get pics and that later of the unit and wires that should come with it it's the latest model so gen 5 or something...

cool as the gen 1 / 2 was not up to much
thats why i ask
Let's hope this one is better then! Here's a link to the item mate, will answer your post in full after work

http://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall-opel-...id-44-m072

This is in a sense what @sheppy1 wants to do @tucpal

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
That's the one @rusty2009 and there's no reason I can tell as to why that wouldn't plug into the female usb extension cable from the back of the unit and work just fine...

It works mate I think I've still got that one somewhere but need to have a good hunt around.

If not I'll make a new one for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
You are awesome! So glad I know you! Hehe.

Thanks mate

(2:nd-Feb-2016, 14:34:35)Rusty2009 Wrote: This is in a sense what @sheppy1 wants to do @tucpal

sheepy it looks like a very good system and it has everything you need built into it
so i would just use what it has and bin the factory usb module idea that wont work 

yes in a sense if you just want to use the usb connector then you just need to make an extension 
male end to new head unit usb and female factory plug to factory usb connector   
i would meet rusty to get it fitted as it is a big job and he has done one already
Glad you said that mate! Haha. I dunno much about them but thought it looked decent

Yeah that's all I'm gonna do... Like you said connect it to the female usb extension cable... That will work fine.

It doesn't seem too bad yanno! All plug and play with the looks of it and from @rusty2009 said too... Defo not feeling like an 8 hour round trip will be better than trying it myself! Ha. What you think @rusty2009 will I be okay?

it may be hard to find the plug and pins or the factory usb rusty will have to find that for you
if you ask nicely he may make you one haha
Haha I have already asked him nicely and he said he will!! Be stuffed without him I would! I'm gonna get all the info I need about as much as possible before I get started!

Fit it your self mate you shouldn't run into any problems (unless it snows )

I can guide you if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
If it snows inside the car then I have bigger issues haha.

So is it literally a straight swap then? Like do all the factory wires come out of the factory head unit and plug into the cables they send me... Or is there cutting and splicing etc.? Also are all cable visible behind the head unit or are some tucked away and hidden?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  fitting factory parking sensors Michaelsearle2699 4 1,575 28:th-Jan-2021, 10:29:51
Last Post: Michaelsearle2699
  Factory Options List 75chrisc 10 4,831 15:th-Aug-2018, 00:01:37
Last Post: thefukingod