Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
servicing advice

Advice - servicing
Just a quick one.

I've got 43600 showing on the car and my oil display is saying 47%.
Looking through the service book it's been serviced every 10k miles and was last done when I picked it up in March at 33k.

Should I get it serviced now or wait? The service book says 20k miles are a year whichever is first.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
Personally I'd stick to 10k, I've done 9.5k since March & mines showing over 50% still but il be booking it within the next few weeks.
I was going to stick to 10k but then was undecided after reading the book

stick with 10k for sure
also alternator belt will be due at 40k
I signed up to Vauxhall service club when I brought the car. Apparently I get 25% off on service. Apparently fixed price servicing is £129 for the interim service.

Would that be the right one for a 40k service?

i am sure the 40k is a main as spark plugs air filter alternator belt etc are all due at 40k
I'll give Vauxhall a call on Monday. I don't have to worry about sparks

just ask about the alt belt i don't trust vauxhall dealers with servicing but that is just me
I agree mate, I normally do the servicing myself but as it's still relatively young I can grit my teeth and get a couple of stamps in the book from Vauxhall.

A vauxhall stamp doesn't add anymore value to the car than a local garage stamp that will cost less.

I always buy my own parts (Genuine parts) and just pay my mechanic for his time this way I gets the parts far cheaper and my car doesn't go through his books so its in his back pocket.

But if it's been serviced every 10K and you can afford to keep doing it at 10K the car will be very happy.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Hmm yeah there is this. I'll see how much they're going to charge tomorrow and go from there. I don't know a mechanic who will do that. Like I said usually I do it myself but I want the stamps this time haha

When I did and oil and filter change on my old veccy I just marked the service book myself, the guy who brought it was more than happy with that, I did have receipts to prove what items where brought. (I keep every receipt) even for all the parts I've retrofitted (even got the deposit receipt in the folder) wife says I'm mad and get some queer looks at the dealers when i open up the folder to get the service sheet out.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I did that with the focus. Know what you mean about funny looks from the dealer Haha

Just been reading through and saw the bit about the 40k service, mines is about to hit 40k but it was last serviced in March at 32/33k this year.
Does anyone think it will still need another one now? Also how much roughly is the new alternator belt and what other stuff needs doing at 40k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No just Waite till next march then do the service
Expensive month March, MOT is in March too insurance in April :(
How much was the alternator belt @Tucpal?

Payed about £80 fitted but depends on model and stay away from dealers prices
Vx line 2.0 cdti

A list here.

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Service-parts-List

I'll lookup the part number for the belt later.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I've looked up in the Haynes and the auxiliary belt (drive belt) is due at 80,000 or 6 years so not sure where the 40K is coming from.

Of curse it doesn't hurt to change it sooner if it needs doing.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers rusty, looking at your link though it says that Haynes suggests 40k

Or am I getting this mixed up with the timing belt?

Yes mate your getting mixed up the timing belt.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Ah so my timing belt might be due then :(

Well it depends TBH if you do alot of stop driving then replace it early.

I'm doing mine at 5yrs so I'm in the middle of the 2.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Well I only do a 8/9 mile round trip for work and then I'm always here there and everywhere on short journeys to the misses. Occasionally going on motorways etc. might wait a while and see how it goes

I'd do it at 5yrs then mate

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers mate

Quick question, I pay vx monthly service plan and it was set up from its second service so I have one for left, think it's a major service (it's 2012 plate) would they replace the belt and plugs or are these extras?

Using Tapatalk
Sure they will only do it at 40.000 or 4 years always best to ask what they will be doing or have done
(8:th-Nov-2015, 23:50:09)tucpal Wrote: Sure they will only do it at 40.000 or 4 years always best to ask what they will be doing or have done

Don't let them do a "software upgrade" whiles you're getting the service though. 

It makes the car sluggish based on my experience of the past week.

Several other people have confirmed this happened to them too but apparently once done, it can't be undone.

Vauxhall are (so far) refusing to answer my questions about what this "upgrade" actually involves.
(5:th-Nov-2015, 10:38:06)Nemo Wrote: Cheers rusty, looking at your link though it says that Haynes suggests 40k

Or am I getting this mixed up with the timing belt?

. Got 108000 out of my cambelt before it broke and it only broke because the water pump sized causing the belt to burn up.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Stop Vehicle Immediately Engine Has Overheated" Advice appreciated please Dennis S 25 38,113 30:th-Aug-2020, 13:56:18
Last Post: Rgotts00
  I bought a used GTC! - Fantastic car but a few issues i could do with advice about Mattymush 5 3,063 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:45:59
Last Post: Rusty2009
  SVS - Battery advice shabba 2 1,867 2:nd-Mar-2020, 21:09:49
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Rear Light Replacement (Need Advice) A.ROD 2 4,786 17:th-Dec-2018, 19:17:48
Last Post: A.ROD
  Tow bar advice Martz66 6 3,802 8:th-Nov-2018, 18:37:44
Last Post: Martz66
  Some advice Mspencer 9 4,166 22:nd-Dec-2017, 02:01:14
Last Post: Iaintruten
  GTC body kit, color advice needed twinpipes 3 3,951 5:th-Aug-2017, 12:03:36
Last Post: gregj
  Tire advice jdkm01 6 5,323 9:th-Jun-2017, 09:02:31
Last Post: marcus01
  Lowering & widening advice please. ronnierae 8 6,105 17:th-May-2017, 22:35:56
Last Post: Jon_es
  Looking to buy an Astra-J, after some genuine owner advice. Vx-Mad-G 59 24,681 5:th-Mar-2017, 23:32:34
Last Post: RodgerH