Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
rattling engine

Engine Rattling
Hey All,

Just noticed an issue which started this morning and it was 3 days after vauxhall had my car in the garage for a check up.

Basically when I put my foot down at low revs I'm 3rd or 4th gear I can hear a metal rattling noise from the engine bay. It almost sounds like marbles rattling together or something.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

Thanks

Astra Energy 63 Plate 1.7 CDTI (150BHP)

No mate I'd get it looked at tho
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Yeah trying to get an appointment now but it's impossible, only weekend they have free is like a month away and other than that they just have through the week which ain't easy for me :(

It's booked in again for Monday

Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Will do, you think it's worth holding off on getting the coolant tank fitted until this engine noise is sorted? Was worried they might moan and try to void the warranty but thinking about it then can't really do that can they...

No they wont even know it's been fitted mate, just make sure the garage plug the plug on as they didn't with Lewis's and it was a bitch trying to do it afterwards.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Awesome will try and get them to do the tank on Friday then ha i can imagine! I can't even see the plug with this old tank on, let alone try and get to it and plug it in! So yeah, thanks I'll make sure they do that

It seems to have stopped now :-/ how odd!

i will have a quick look today for you
Thank you mate! gonna cancel my vauxhall appointment anyway because with them if they can't hear/see the issue described then they won't bother doing anything :-/

what time are you getting down here
Half 10 i should be there Andy said go arrive between then and 11 ya see

Right! This has started again and I've managed to get a same day appointment with vauxhall. If they try and fob me off, charge me stupid prices for basics checks etc. I'm gonna kick off

You got the car new should still be under warranty so they should not charge you anyway
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Are you sure it's not diesel clatter ? Vauxhall engines are terrible for it
Yeah you'd think so, well they said if it's not covered by warranty then they will charge me £80 just for the checks! I really kicked off then on the phone. Just left it with them anyway, see what they say when they ring me. They're a piss take that garage anyway and the main guy who tests the cars is a *****!

(22:nd-Apr-2015, 10:22:35)Jj0063 Wrote: Are you sure it's not diesel clatter ? Vauxhall engines are terrible for it

Don't think so, it's only done it twice since I bought the car over a year ago and it seems to be intermittent and only in 3rd, 4th and 5th under 2,000 revs...surely if it was engine chatter then it would happen all the time?

Well apparently they couldn't hear the noise I was talking about...there's a surprise eh! But they did notice a hairline crack in the coolant tank...which they sold me and replaced that under warranty. Naff it! Will wait till the engine blows up and see if they are able to see that issue!

sounds like a plan
It's winding me up this now! Ha. I really wanna get to the bottom of this...Hoping someone on here will be able to help.

The issue now occurs in any gear above 2nd gear when I put my foot all the way down when the revs are below 2000, anything above 2000 or if i don't put my foot all the way down then I don't hear the noise.

The noise now sounds less metal on metal and more sort of like an angry fan belt or something...Not even sure where to begin with it tbh!

does the noise only happen when you are driving
or does it also happen when the car is in neutral and not moving
Only happens when I'm driving dude, Vauxhall thought it was because the oil dipstick was loose for some reason...it wasn't

take it to your local garage and just get someone to look at it with you
it wont cost you anything noises are very hard to diagnose as we can not be there to hear it
forget the dealer and get someone ells to give there opinion on this mate
i would be only guessing and it really could be anything loose in the engine bay or drive related drive shaft even the gear box
so get it checked out it makes more sense
Right okay does make sense and hopefully they won't charge me loads just to look at it.

Will find a decent garage near me and get it booked in next weekend and report back as to what they say.

Cheers

Well..local garage want £40 just to look at the fault never mind actually fix it! So looks like I'm stuck with Vauxhall :-/

Have it booked in again but with a different VX dealer this time...the noise actually sounds a bit like the fan belt if I'm honest...can hear a squeaking noise when the car is in neutral and idling

The fan belt went on mine 2 days after picking it up. Made the noise when idling and through 1st and 2nd.

Hmmmm could be that then eh! How much was it for a new one?

Was under warranty so not sure. Fan belts about £20ish. Simple job to do I'd assume, maybe £50 fitted at a dealer.

Ahhhh least you were covered then eh mines under warranty too...just a case of them not being useless and actually looking at the issue properly instead of fobbing me off! Now on my third booking with them about the same issue and it's a ball ache for me to get the car into them every time I need too...

If you get nowhere ring VX direct and complain.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Cheers, will do they just keep saying they can't hear it or that they have fixed it when they just haven't, I even told them to ring me next time before they take it for a test drive so I can make sure they do hear it...they didn't bother. I had a similar issue with the baffles too but in the end i knew what the issue was and just told them to replace the tank...which they did and which fixed the issue hence why I'm trying to diagnose the issue myself this time

I've had to tell my dealer what to do every time too, they are just trained to stick an MDI on it and no codes no fault, really annoys me.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Yeah I left mine with the noise for about a week cos its pain getting over there. When the misses took it in they knew what it was straight away but didn't have the belt and it had to be fixed because they said it was ready to snap so had to leave it with them all day for the part to come in. Right pain.

I've got a hissing noise when I accelerate fast. Can hear it when you put the clutch down. Think it might be some sort of air leak from a hose. Sounds like I've got a dump valve. Ha. Or could be turbo related

Hmmmmm not having much luck are you! I've got mine booked in AGAIN next Friday but will have to take the day off work AND sit there until they have fixed it!

Weird issue with the hissing...I get a slight hiss/wheeze when I put my foot down and then change gear, it's turbo related on mine though and is how they're supposed to be I believe :P

Oh right. So it's meant to make that noise then? Seems quite loud though.

Oh yeah just read about them. It's a blow off valve releasing air

Hey Guys,

Here's that engine noise..recorded it today.

Any ideas then what it is?

http://soundcloud.com/sheppy1/engine-noise

It sounds like a fan or something spinning rubbing/catching to me.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hmmmm to me with the bonnet open it sounded like the fan belt thing... Kwik fit said it could be a tensioner that needs tightening... Have it in with vauxhall next weekend anyway but wanted to give them as much info as possible because this will be the third time it's been in with them and every time they say they can't fix it or hear It!

Maybe the water pump?
Opel Astra J 1.3 ecoflex(ESSENTIA)
Not sure mate, from all the research I've done it seems to be related to the engine belt thing or the tensioners...vx have it yet again today!

They said the tensioners need replacing and have ordered them in for me under warranty

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.7 cdti engine judder in 5th and 6th ScottN2211 0 1,013 21:st-Oct-2023, 16:27:48
Last Post: ScottN2211
  Engine Coolant and remote locking dm1996 1 2,768 14:th-Nov-2018, 10:19:53
Last Post: Big Dave2
  engine problems tucpal 8 11,971 11:th-Jan-2018, 16:13:15
Last Post: kebibg
  Engine sound Lukedent1234 0 4,004 18:th-Sep-2017, 09:26:28
Last Post: Lukedent1234
  Noise from engine SI SRI 8 10,937 26:th-Nov-2015, 15:17:23
Last Post: monty2000
  Engine sounds funny...... Or not dutton84 15 9,573 11:th-Sep-2015, 09:04:59
Last Post: dutton84
  Astra J 1.7 engine chirping and pressure Jasoncourt 13 13,594 11:th-Sep-2015, 07:25:07
Last Post: Rusty2009