Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
issues? machanical are known handbrake there

Are there Known Machanical Handbrake issues?
Hi All,

Are there any common, known, or even 'admitted' handbrake problems on Mechanical handbrakes?

Today, my wife came home, parked on our drive as normal.. put the handbrake on, then, after about 20 minutes, the car rolled backwards into our wall in an almost single movement, i.e., not over the 20 minutes from getting out of the car!

Now..... to dispel or acknowledge the obvious:

No, the car was not in gear..... Had that polite "I told you so" conversation and amazingly I survived!

The handbrake was definitely on, albeit, obviously not enough as it may seem!

So....

When we see it there, the first thing I checked was the handbrake and I could "JUST" get it up 1 more click.

I've spoken to the dealer and they are having it back tomorrow for inspection and price up the scratch on the rear bumper, and I have also spoken to Vauxhall h/o and they have opened a case via their insurance & technical team and will also hopefully inspect the car, but most probably only take the dealers word for it....... which I suspect will be that there are no problems and my wife will be blamed for not putting the handbrake on fully.

The dealer stated that Astra J handbrakes are between 8 - 10 clicks, but we can only just get ours up to 7

I suspect it's down to the brakes being hot when she parked and then released as they cooled, but:

A: She's not racing driver
B: Surely, one click should not be the make or brake of it rolling??

Our drive isn't very steep or even that sloping, and I re-parked it and applied the handbrake and I had to let it down 2 clicks before it even began to move!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Dave.
Not seen anything for manual handbrake I will check TIS tomorrow for you.

I know there was issues over the EPB releasing itself and also VX where losing sales to the older people hence why you now have to spec EPB.

I've never got my handbrake above 6 clicks, although I've always been taught you should hold the button in when applying the hand brake.

Sent from my iPhone 5c using Tapatalk.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Ok, thank you.
No nothing on TIS mate.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Ok, thanks for that.

Predictably, all the dealer did was a basic physical and mechanical test and then checked it on the brake tester, which obviously was fine as that's not the issue.

I'll see what Luton come back with on Friday, but I'm going talk it through with the AA,RAC, and SMMT as our fear is that it'll happen again if she forgets to put it in gear also.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lighting & front power socket issues phlyer 0 3,172 17:th-Mar-2023, 17:41:23
Last Post: phlyer
  gear box issues tucpal 84 77,839 1:st-Jun-2019, 13:47:24
Last Post: umognog
  Wierd Bluetooth issues JohnL 3 9,310 3:rd-Jun-2014, 23:32:10
Last Post: Migwell030744
  Handbrake on one wheel grahamfromoldham 9 7,012 14:th-May-2014, 23:24:56
Last Post: grahamfromoldham
  2 wierd issues Cameron UK 11 9,895 12:th-Apr-2014, 21:38:56
Last Post: Kevin