Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
automatic worries

Automatic worries
Hi all

I have a 2013 Astra SRi 2.0 CDTi Auto Tourer with 45k miles on the clock

It has been perfect since i bought it 4 months ago but noticed in the last few days that when on the motorway (whether the engine is hot or cold), as soon as i let off the accelerator, even a little bit, due to traffic etc, it changes down from 6th to 5th with a very small jerk. The jerk is much more noticeable than normal changes and wasn't happening last week.

I thought maybe it was trying to keep the revs up due to a DPF regen, and when i stopped yesterday the fan kept running for a bit (i understand this is due to a regen). However the jerk was happening today too.

I drove the 18 miles this morning in 5th so as to keep the revs above 2k, just in case it needed to complete a regen but it is still happening.

It seems to be worse in on the drive home interestingly when sat for 8 hours as opposed to in the morning when sat for 14.

I am thinking that either:
  • The gearbox is dying (dear god, lets hope not)
  • The car needs a service - not due for 6 months
  • Software bug
There is no whining or grinding from the gearbox at all and all other changes are normal. I am not losing any coolant either.

How much do i need to be worrying about this clunk that started all of a sudden?

I also noticed that when in 6th gear at 60-70mph, if i accelerate, the rev counter rises 200rpm instantly then come down and go up normally.

Is this normal? It has been suggested that i need a software update to the gearbox so need to take it to Vauxhall.  Been quoted £69 to do the updates from Eden.

Many thanks

Messages In This Thread
Automatic worries - by PPJ82 - 17:th-Apr-2018, 14:36:03
RE: Automatic worries - by niteram - 17:th-Apr-2018, 20:48:03
RE: Automatic worries - by PPJ82 - 17:th-Apr-2018, 21:13:34
RE: Automatic worries - by PPJ82 - 18:th-Apr-2018, 22:02:19
RE: Automatic worries - by PPJ82 - 27:th-Apr-2018, 13:51:24
RE: Automatic worries - by Jpbroad1970 - 27:th-Apr-2018, 14:23:01

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Automatic windows Tonto 36 14,181 29:th-Jun-2015, 19:09:33
Last Post: Rusty2009