Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
box gear issues

gear box issues
Mine is also the same 62reg 2.0cdti elite model with f40 gearbox, I find mine in the cold difficult to get into first, just typical vauxhall gearboxes lol.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I also fitted a short shifter and it seems to make going from first to 2nd alot smoother.

I've been thinking about getting short shifter.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I thought it was in my head going 1st -> 2nd but started double clutching during this change and don't experience it when I do.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
Yeah I also thought it was just me lol and was also having to double clutch but since I changed to the short shifter it seems like a totally different gearbox going from 1st to 2nd as I saw a few people mention it on the astra j vxr forum so since it is the same gearbox just with a slightly different ratio I thought i would try it and was impressed with the difference on 1st to 2nd.

There are two variety of these shifters.

The K shift & the K2 not sure which version id require if I decided to go down this route too.
Astra J CDTI Elite s/s 2014 model
If it is the 2.0cdti you have then this is the one you will require http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/index.php...uct_id=119

(1:st-Dec-2017, 14:28:28)Iaintruten Wrote: If it is the 2.0cdti you have then this is the one you will require http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/index.php...uct_id=119

Ta.

There a guide for doing this anywhere.
This is my next mod after Christmas, mine a 2012 version needs this one http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/index.php...uct_id=338 Which is a bit more expensive!!! Word of advice though, I wouldn't buy them from the same people through eBay as they're more expensive, I think they're passing on PayPal costs to the customers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Opel...1438.l2649
Yeah definately worth it I got mine from the same place, mine is also 2012 but is the late 2012 face lift model so I had to get the one on the link I posted but as I said earlier in a post it makes 1st to 2nd so much better.

I’m worse than a kid at Christmas I can’t wait to get one never mind soon be January lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the feeling, I think after Christmas it will be the intercooler I do next but it's where to stop as I could strip my car and put it back together with my eyes shut now with the amount of times I have had it stripped can't seem to leave it alone

Vibrating gear stick can often be down to clutch/ flywheel issues.
With the flywheel you tend to feel the vibration more through the accelerator pedal. And also when pulling away when the torque is on it.

(1:st-Dec-2017, 14:54:25)shabba Wrote:
(1:st-Dec-2017, 14:28:28)Iaintruten Wrote: If it is the 2.0cdti you have then this is the one you will require http://shop.wgmotorworks.co.uk/index.php...uct_id=119

Ta.

There a guide for doing this anywhere.
Sorry just realised you replied, don't think so but I'll try and get something made up with photos and socket sizes when I have dry weather.

Here is a guide for the “K” shift
https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/0313...-shift.pdf
And here is one for the “Z” shift
https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/0313...ft-f40.pdf
Hope this helps?

Good find, might make up a clearer one at a later date for the forum with sizes etc, going to do one for the oil pick up seal soon as I need to fix my oil level sensor as it's leaking ever so slightly lol.

That’s from the Manufactuer website.
I know it’s quite easy to change, but I’m getting mine after Christmas and to try and do it myself in the good old British weather, I’ll be paying my garage £20 for fitting it

the weather's always bad here in Glasgow, probably wait till after Christmas now before a do anything else to the car as I need to strip the seats out next since the 2 of them are cutting out when trying to heat.

I can confirm, been to Glasgow many times, never been good weather.

||Sent based on the twin scientific principles of star maths and wishy thinking.||
(3:rd-Dec-2017, 13:48:36)Iaintruten Wrote: the weather's always bad here in Glasgow, probably wait till after Christmas now before a do anything else to the car as I need to strip the seats out next since the 2 of them are cutting out when trying to heat.

If when you strip your seats next year you could take some photos and share them as I’m thinking of retro fitting some heated seats and having someone give a few pointers would be a massive help

No problem will do.

Just had my short-shifter fitted. Makes a world of difference. No long changes and it actually does feel alot smoother.
Only problem encountered was when my mate went to change the gearbox oil. The drain plug is shaped like an allen key & sadly he didnt have the correct fitting size.
You can get new drain plugs from the dealer for a few pound anyway as I replaced the filler plug and drain plug when I done the gearbox oil change. And as you say it is some difference I couldn't believe it when I done mine.

Do you guys have the F40 or M32 gearbox?
I guess F40 since you both got a 2 liter

I changed the oil in my M32 gearbox at 60K miles and it still looked like new.
Replaced the oïl with Fuchs Sintofluid but don't experience any real différences. If anything it's a bit harder to change gears when it's cold. But this disappears when the car warms up.

I'm a bit affraid to put in a short shifter because I think it will make shifting when the car is cold even harder.
My shifter arrived today and is being fitted on Monday just got my pedal box to come tomorrow hopefully

Yeah it's the F40 I have, find mine ok, I used Miller's nanodrive

I have a Astra 1.4T and it has done 41k I noticed the whining noise when over 20mph, sounds a bit like a electric car. Think this is down to the M32 gearbox issue. Can anyone say what will happen if I leave it. Also has anyone had any joy getting vauxhall to pay for this, trouble is my car is a 2011 plate.

Shortshifter fitted & gearbox oil changed to 2.4 litres.

Cant say i have noticed any difference at all. Still abit of a pain to change 1st to 2nd and vice versa when the engine has warmed up or not.
Could be the linkage needing adjusted or the sychro in the gearbox as the f40 is known for these issues, lucky for me when I had my astra the oil change and short shifter cured my 1st to 2nd issue, but just before I traded it in I started having issues with getting the car into 1st gear.

I had been opinions that it was a better box than the m32 as well, but sounds like the chocolate teapot was replaced with a chocolate fire guard.

I have a 2012 1.4 Ltr Petrol Opel Astra. I seem to be experiencing issues with the gear box. Sometimes it becomes very hard to put it into first gear and second gear. For some reason if i turn off the engine and start it again it seems to allow me to put it into first.IMO the clutch doesn't seem any different since this issue arose.

Can anyone shed any light on the potential problem?
(24:th-May-2019, 21:06:14)irishastraowner Wrote: I have a 2012 1.4 Ltr Petrol Opel Astra. I seem to be experiencing issues with the gear box. Sometimes it becomes very hard to put it into first gear and second gear. For some reason if i turn off the engine and start it again it seems to allow me to put it into first.IMO the clutch doesn't seem any different since this issue arose.

Can anyone shed any light on the potential problem?

Can anyone help me out?
1st and second gear synchro???.

Maybe try a fluid change
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
A gear linkage adjustment may help and a gearbox fluid change also may help.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
I second rusty on this; had the same issue on my veccy c whereby 1st and 2nd one day suddenly became totally unusable, having had "difficulty" for a few weeks. Just needed adjustment

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lighting & front power socket issues phlyer 0 3,173 17:th-Mar-2023, 17:41:23
Last Post: phlyer
  Gear Knob issue (Automatic 2014 Astra GTC) DC23 1 5,264 22:nd-Feb-2021, 08:08:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Astra GTC auto gear knob replacement Jayrich872001 12 20,425 22:nd-Jul-2020, 12:21:46
Last Post: DC23
  M32/M20 6 speed gear box crap? dutton84 9 14,229 21:st-Mar-2017, 23:51:48
Last Post: Saxito@Tech
  Are there Known Machanical Handbrake issues? Hilly68 4 9,552 25:th-Nov-2014, 20:12:55
Last Post: Hilly68
  Gear box oil, to change or not to change? Cameron UK 9 10,025 24:th-Jun-2014, 05:45:38
Last Post: Cameron UK
  Wierd Bluetooth issues JohnL 3 9,316 3:rd-Jun-2014, 23:32:10
Last Post: Migwell030744
  2 wierd issues Cameron UK 11 9,909 12:th-Apr-2014, 21:38:56
Last Post: Kevin

Who read this thread?
3 User(s) read this thread:
richardt (24:th-Feb-2024, 17:41:04), greg848484 (15:th-Jun-2023, 19:26:08), exhippykev (22:nd-Jul-2023, 21:26:20)