Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
changing discs brake rear

Changing rear brake discs
Hi,

I've already found the how2 for changing the front and rear pads, but no mention (that I can find) of also changing the rear discs on a 2.0 CDti with 292mm discs.

Anyone know the socket sizes I need, and what the torque settings are?

I have a rewind tool, and it was previously mentioned to me that both pistons need rotating back in clockwise. Is that correct?

Also, I have a traditional handbrake that is operated via a lever. Anything I need to know about before attempting to change the discs and pads? i.e. does it need adjusting afterwards?
I did see mention somewhere to just keep lifting up and releasing the handbrake lever until the brakes adjust themselves. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Going off the top of my head here I think the carrier bolts are 13mm, I'll have a check later.

Hand brake the up and down is the handbrake adjustment which is more for tightening the handbrake if after you've changed discs and pads you holding on 5 click's (this is what MOT go to according to my MOT guy) your all good.

Don't forget to remove the cap off the fluid bottle when winding/ push the pistons back.

I can't for the life of me remember which way to wind them back.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(23:rd-Jun-2020, 13:43:09)Big Dave2 Wrote: Hi, just changed my rear pads, it is clockwise

I've already found the how2 for changing the front and rear pads, but no mention (that I can find) of also changing the rear discs on a 2.0 CDti with 292mm discs.

Anyone know the socket sizes I need, and what the torque settings are?

I have a rewind tool, and it was previously mentioned to me that both pistons need rotating back in clockwise. Is that correct?

Also, I have a traditional handbrake that is operated via a lever. Anything I need to know about before attempting to change the discs and pads? i.e. does it need adjusting afterwards?
I did see mention somewhere to just keep lifting up and releasing the handbrake lever until the brakes adjust themselves. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Thanks guys. Rusty, IIRC it was you who previously mentioned the pistons have to be rotated clockwise.

Gary13 has just also confirmed that, so that's good enough for me.

I was going to change them today, but it's just been too hot to be doing jobs like that. I haven't heard the audible warning yet, so hopefully there are a few miles left on the pads - touches wood.

Last 2 services and MOTs the garage have commented about the rear pads and discs need changing soon. Probably working on the assumption I drive 20,000 miles a year. Which I don't. Or they just want money for work that isn't necessary just yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  front brake discs bgb65uk 4 2,135 23:rd-Jul-2020, 10:56:25
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Changing Rear Shock Absorbers. Astra-J Hatch. Replace or reuse bottom bolts? Big Dave2 5 4,784 22:nd-Jun-2020, 11:35:40
Last Post: Big Dave2
  Remapping and brake upgrade. Hemihunter 1 2,254 20:th-Nov-2019, 18:24:40
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Changed Brake Pads, now feels like fronts are sticking Vx-Mad-G 5 5,255 25:th-Jul-2018, 15:44:04
Last Post: Vx-Mad-G
Replacement discs and pads Iamthestig 3 3,867 23:rd-May-2018, 18:31:42
  Coil spring rear buy used or new caretaker 2 3,369 18:th-Oct-2017, 12:58:05
Last Post: caretaker
  Coil spring rear buy used or new caretaker 4 3,632 18:th-Oct-2017, 11:51:47
Brake light bigsadie 4 3,620 7:th-Oct-2017, 14:31:18
Last Post: Iaintruten
  Changing rear pads richje100 8 5,400 12:th-Jun-2017, 13:18:52
Last Post: Astra VXD
  Brake pedal creep Kippermcflipper 5 5,509 12:th-May-2017, 21:08:11