Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
sump plugs

sump plugs
Hi now I have changed a lot of oil in my time, and have always renewed the sump plug washer or o ring, but just lately I have come across always renew the sump plug ? when doing an oil change, on web sites and tv shows, any ideas where this is coming from or opinions on the subject, me I think I will stick with renewing just the washer/o ring
(27:th-Apr-2020, 14:14:42)andyp Wrote: Hi now I have changed a lot of oil in my time, and have always renewed the sump plug washer or o ring, but just lately I have come across always renew the sump plug ? when doing an oil change, on web sites and tv shows, any ideas where this is coming from or opinions on the subject, me I think I will stick with renewing just the washer/o ring
Hey andy, ive akways been in the team of renew sump plugs and washers. But i guess when your thinking of businesses that may not go this extra step as it is another thimg for them try to sell to customers who probably dont like to spend any.more on their cars to keep it running. What tv shows have you seen where they are against this? Would be interesting see what they say not to do it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hi it was on an episode of fifth gear jimmy devil modifying a vxr corsa (fitting a bigger turbo), not got a problem doing this just wondered why it has just started to be advised ?
I always change sump plug every 2nd service.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
At work we change them every service, it forms part of the service kit.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
when I worked for v/w (a few years ago now!) we always changed the sump plugs, (as do most garages now)
we often found cars with stripped or damaged threads in the sump, these were mostly on cars that that had the original plug re-used a few times.
hence the need to replace then regularly
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 out of 4 glow plugs Euroshopper 1 1,801 2:nd-Nov-2020, 22:10:39
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Spark plugs Mspencer 1 2,462 7:th-Jan-2018, 23:12:43
Last Post: Iaintruten
  Any one recognise these spark plugs? Zcubed 2 3,924 7:th-Jul-2016, 08:19:47
Last Post: Zcubed
  spark plugs JJ-Yorks 1 2,733 20:th-Feb-2016, 11:47:37
Last Post: tucpal