Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
suspension front knock?????

Front suspension knock?????
Hey guys, I’ve recently noticed that driving over uneven/ rough roads that I’m getting a knocking noise, if I hit a pothole or large bump there’s nothing but any sort of slight bumps or similar and I’m getting lots of knocks like the anti roll bar bushes are shot, last weekend I got it on my mates 2 poster ramp and got the pry bar out checking everything and it’s all completely solid, but for how cheap they were I fitted a pair of new drop links thinking it could only be them but no joy, all my shockers are clean and bone dry and springs are perfect and I lowered the car so the tyres were about an inch off the ground and put a long pry bar under each wheel to check the top mounts and no play whatsoever, please help???? Oh also it’s a 1.4 Sri on a 65 plate with 40k miles thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does it do it when the brakes are applied?

The knocking coming from mine turned out to be the brake pads rattling in the callipers. Drove me mad trying to find where the noise was coming from. A slight bend of the anti rattle shims was all it took to cure the noise.
No mate it does it during normal driving, I’ve read somewhere before about there being a problem with the brake pad shims but I’ve had a good wiggle of each and there’s nothing ????

Could be the top mount they can fail or start to come apart had it on mine and there was no play it was only when changing the shock we found it.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
(16:th-Mar-2019, 09:36:03)Rusty2009 Wrote: Could be the top mount they can fail or start to come apart had it on mine and there was no play it was only when changing the shock we found it.

I’ll check that out cheers rusty, I’ve de catted my car today, searched high and low for a 4 branch manifold for it with no joy so took the gamble and ordered one off a Vauxhall corsa c 1.4 twin port and it fits perfectly and even mates up to the same flange at the bottom right next to the flexi joint, noticeable increase in power but has now given a slight rasp on initial revs, I’ll soon sort that with an extra resonator box sleeved into the system but has transformed the drivability as I was for getting rid of it for being so damn underpowered

(16:th-Mar-2019, 21:16:43)Sri~mike Wrote:
(16:th-Mar-2019, 09:36:03)Rusty2009 Wrote: Could be the top mount they can fail or start to come apart had it on mine and there was no play it was only when changing the shock we found it.

I’ll check that out cheers rusty, I’ve de catted my car today, searched high and low for a 4 branch manifold for it with no joy so took the gamble and ordered one off a Vauxhall corsa c 1.4 twin port and it fits perfectly and even mates up to the same flange at the bottom right next to the flexi joint, noticeable increase in power but has now given a slight rasp on initial revs, I’ll soon sort that with an extra resonator box sleeved into the system but has transformed the drivability as I was for getting rid of it for being so damn underpowered

[quote pid='50875' dateline='1552767403']
Hi Sri~mike, did u make any progress with this?

I've had my anti roll bar bushes replaced, drop links replaced and brake shims sorted but still have a seriously annoying crash over smaller bumps / even roads.

I've just had a quote of £330 for front shocks & top mounts but having spent £400 already I'm seriously reluctant to double my spending just by guessing at resolutions.

Cheers,
[/quote]
I've found the sri quite noisy on suspension anyway, I've had 2 and both the same. The elite I had was far softer and quieter.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
(8:th-Dec-2020, 21:13:58)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: I've found the sri quite noisy on suspension anyway,  I've had 2 and both the same. The elite I had was far softer and quieter.

I've got the SE CDTi so assume it 'should' be quieter. Mate has an SRI and TBF even that sounded a lot better. Obviously 'something' loose / worn but struggling to nail it down, 3 garages have looked now - So annoying (and getting expensive)
It could be caliper rattle. The slider pins on the brake calipers aren't the tightest of fits on the astras. When you hear it rattling, if you gently apply the brakes, does it stop?
I did put brand new (new off eBay) ones on a couple of months ago. I found even the new ones on the bottom of the calliper were loose once fitted. The bottom ones do not have the rubber shim but rather a slither cut off the side of the pin. I packed it with grease and put a shim from a coke can around it and was sure it made a difference after driving but could have been placebo.

I will have a play again this weekend, could be that the shim has come out - I Will try and put the old top pins in the bottom as they didn't appear to have anything wrong with the rubber band.
I have new springs fitted to my GTC, after a few weeks a knocking noise started.

Bought new drop links and outer tie rod ends.

Didnt fix the problem. Springs were new.

It ended up being the bolt that is at the very bottom of the knuckle was loose.

Tightened it up about 2-3 turns and the noise stopped.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Retrofit front parking sensors (GTC) pedroc1999 3 2,158 27:th-May-2023, 23:46:17
Last Post: M.Duman
  Lowering springs identify front rear martinpe68 1 1,511 12:th-Sep-2021, 15:22:37
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Front PDC wiring diagram milozic 1 2,340 2:nd-Feb-2021, 09:33:19
  VXR Front Bumper onto a 5dr Bear 2 2,779 3:rd-Oct-2020, 11:48:59
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  2017 GTC Limited edition - Front wheel noise Nathan191210 4 2,414 12:th-Jul-2020, 07:37:10
  Gtc 2017 1.4t 120 front brake disc size Nathan191210 2 2,554 25:th-Apr-2020, 07:41:05
  Can You Add Front Fogs to an Astra J? SAMW98SO 2 3,491 10:th-Apr-2020, 13:29:58
Last Post: SAMW98SO
  lowered suspension bigbrownbear 1 1,623 5:th-Apr-2020, 08:24:05
  No sound on indicators, seat belt warning and quiet front parking sensors mpotsb 4 7,135 22:nd-Feb-2020, 19:24:53
Last Post: mpotsb
  Astra j vxr front seat Custerz90 7 8,594 31:st-Oct-2019, 16:30:42
Last Post: marablind