Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Tags
fin shark replacement

Replacement Shark Fin
I currently have a black shark fin but I want it colour coded. Not sure whether the easiest route is to replace the current one with a white one or to have the current one sprayed.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it a dummy sharkfin?
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
No it’s a oem Vauxhall one. I understand that you have to drop the roof lining and it’s a bit of a pita. I’ve also noticed that one of the very few differences between my 2012 model and a 2018 model is a redesigned shark fin (colour coded) so ultimately I would like to change it to the newer version to help disguise my cars age (for the very eagle eyed Vauxhall anorak!)

I think you've misunderstood what I was asking.

There are 2 types of shark fins that Vauxhall fit.
Dummy or GPS.
So if you have Navi fitted your have a GPS, no navi it's a dummy.

As far as I'm aware Vauxhall only supply the shark fins in black, if colour coded it's been done by owner, although I've not looked at the part list for awhile but I will and confirm.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Yes sorry Rusty I was not aware of the Navi thing. So given that information I have a dummy one as I do not have Navi.

The shark fin has defo been changed having studied 2018 model GTC’s. See the examples below:

Any help regarding part numbers and further insight would be very much appreciated! Thanks Rusty

Just been and looked and yes they only do matt black or Gloss black sharkfin they aren't colour coded so as I say any that are colour coded have been done so by owner.

Also the bigger Sharkfin is an NOSTAR sharkfin.

22786213 AERIAL, ASSY., ROOF, NON-FUNCTIONAL, GRAINED (IDENT HF) RRP £41.00

I'm sure I have dummy one kicking around here.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks Rusty. I do have one fitted already and I have good reception. Having dwelled on it I will very likely leave it as it is unless the later style comes along in the right colour....

I’m still pretty certain that they were colour coded from the factory maybe from 2017 onwards (on the GTC anyway) if not it must have been the biggest trend of 2018 to colour code your shark fin cos looking on autotrader I can’t find a single black one on a late GTC

Thanks again

My white 2015 VXR had a black 'dummy' sharkfin and the Blue 2016 VXR I purchased the Navi system from also had a black shark fin

I had the Navi sharkfin colour matched white by my local bodyshop
How much did having it colour coded cost Vocky?

(12:th-Jan-2019, 13:00:01)vocky Wrote: My white 2015 VXR had a black 'dummy' sharkfin and the Blue 2016 VXR I purchased the Navi system from also had a black shark fin

I had the Navi sharkfin colour matched white by my local bodyshop

I've just read through the work you have done to your car! Wow!!! Very nice

It is the replacement aerial that I would like colour coded in white. Looks like it is a lot of work though!!! 

On this page https://www.astonvauxhall.co.uk/news/gtc...ar-update/ it states that from 2016 all GTC models were equipped with Onstar as standard which I guess is why they all have the new style aerial?
my friend owns the bodyshop, so it was £30 to have it painted.

I would expect to pay about £50 - £75 at another bodyshop

Swapping the aerial on a five door is much easier than the GTC, the 5 dr aerial bolt can be accessed without dropping the headlining
That’s dearer than I expected really. I wonder how much to have it wrapped would be???

Would this fit my GTC?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3330385932

Although given that it may cost me another £50 to have it colour coded we’re looking at circa £100! And a whole lot of effort!

Rattle can it yourself much cheaper.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  replacement key fob Qaranc 3 1,886 26:th-Apr-2021, 10:45:13
Last Post: rlievens
  P0135 after bcm replacement Saif.pro 11 2,684 30:th-Jan-2021, 10:20:19
Last Post: Saif.pro
  Caliper slide pins replacement? umognog 1 1,592 21:st-Aug-2020, 17:57:50
Last Post: Rusty2009
  DRL Replacement - Snapped clips Marc_81 1 1,498 3:rd-Aug-2020, 21:18:39
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Rear Light Replacement (Need Advice) A.ROD 2 4,786 17:th-Dec-2018, 19:17:48
Last Post: A.ROD