Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
fluid transmission auto change

auto transmission fluid change
right then,
my 1.6 petrol tourer has developed a leak from the transmission cooler pipe at the radiator end.
I have a new (genuine) connector/seal to fit, the pipe is NLA
but there will be an amount of oil lost during the remove/refit process plus the unknown quantity already lost.

rather than top up the fluid, I guess it would be better to change the fluid,

I've read the workshop manual instructions online which seems fairly straightforward until the part where it says

"the fluid level must only be checked in conjuntion with the fluid temperature - see diagnostic tool"

I don't have any GM diagnostics,  what would be best to get (and cost) or would it just be more cost effective to pay someone to change the connector and the fluid?
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
I would think it would be most cost effective to pay a local garage to do it.

You could try an op-com but I'm not sure if that will give you any oil temp readings on the box.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
no I wasn't sure, I've tried a few ocal garages who were all a bit vague
I'll have a chat with my local dealer, I know the service receptionists so usually get a decent job done
just got it back from the main dealer
£194 and change, including my 25% discount (2 hours labour plus fluids etc)
apparently they had 15 pages of instructions on changing transmission fluid
they did say that the fluid was dirty so looks like it needed doing (only 50,000 mile car) and the trans fluid is supposed to be sealed for life and doesn't need changing.
(20:th-Aug-2018, 21:15:18)niteram Wrote: just got it back from the main dealer
£194 and change, including my 25% discount (2 hours labour plus fluids etc)
apparently they had 15 pages of instructions on changing transmission fluid
they did say that the fluid was dirty so looks like it needed doing (only 50,000 mile car) and the trans fluid is supposed to be sealed for life and doesn't need changing.

I don't think any fluid will really last for life and I thinks its crazy the Vauxhall say it will.

When I asked my dealership about changing the gearbox oil I was told if I do I'll void the warranty on the box, I still did it anyway and Vauxhall lifetime warranty reactivated the warranty even with the stamp being shown in the book.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.0 CDti auto gearbox fault Big Dave2 2 1,483 1:st-Jul-2021, 13:14:50
Last Post: Jpbroad1970
  Auxiliary Belt failure - cam belt change question David` 8 3,750 27:th-Aug-2020, 17:57:38
Last Post: Rusty2009
  Timing Belt and Water pump change Tarrymittens 0 2,949 25:th-Oct-2018, 16:08:39
Last Post: Tarrymittens
  Auto shifter Jayrich872001 1 2,312 15:th-Oct-2018, 11:00:06
Last Post: Big Dave2
  GTC Auto Gearbox bruce_19 7 7,099 5:th-Dec-2016, 21:39:55
Last Post: Boroboy