Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
hatch fault unlocking intermittant

Intermittant hatch unlocking fault
Arrived back home on Sunday with a boot full of shopping, to find I couldn't open the hatch.

Tried unlocking/locking the car a few times to see if it would unlock. Drove round the block to see if jarring the car through a few pot holes would rattle it back into life.

Still locked. I couldn't access the manual release as the boot was full right up.

I eventually managed to get it open, but not sure how. Whether it was a combination of unlocking / locking, or pressing down on the hatch, but it eventually unlocked. After removing all the shopping, I tried to replicate the fault but the hatch locked and unlocked each and every time I tried it.

I also noticed in the darkness of the garage that if I tried pulling on the boot release switch while it was locked, the stereo lit up, which confirmed the switch was working. Seen mention of this before on here or somewhere else.

Anyway, it's been fine all week, well up until last night when it decided to play up again. This morning it's fine again.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with it? I know with intermittent faults such as this, it's going to be a nightmare to find out what's wrong.

Was wondering if anyone has had something similar with their Astra?

Could the lock solenoid be on its way out?
Did it again today. Getting more frequent now.

Answering my own question here. It looks like it's a boot lock problem. If I thump the boot just below the plastic trim that hides the switch then the boot will unlock.

Seems I'll have to take the trim off and have a look behind it to work out what's wrong. Hopefully as its intermittent it'll either be a loose connection, or the boot lock requiring some lubrication. Fingers crossed.
I would say it’s most likely the switch it’s self going faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Pulled the trim off today. When it happens, if I tap the lock assembly lightly, it starts working again. So it is looking very likely that is the problem.

Regarding the switch, I can hear a faint clicking noise from under the bonnet every time I press it. I also checked it with a multimeter and it was a dead short every time it was pressed.

It doesn't look like the lock assembly will come apart unless I drill out the 2 large rivets. I just removed it from the car and gave it a blast of compressed air to remove a few cobwebs in the mechanism, then a light spraying of WD40 on the moving parts.

Refitted it, and so far touch wood, it's working again without any problems. Time will tell though, it behaved for 4 days last time it played up, before stopping working again.

I'll leave the trim off for a while in case I do need to change the lock, as I've already broken a couple of securing clips.

I must say that the lock now sounds completely different when opening and closing the boot. A more positive click can be heard.

Apart from Vauxhall, does anyone know where I can get some replacement trim clips from? They're not the normal plastic serrated ones. They look like this, if its any help.

EDIT. It looks like the part No for the clips is 7703077477.
Ah glad you've found issue hopefully it'll be ok now.

The clips you maybe able to find on ebay or autovuax?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osaca...7&_sacat=0
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tpms fault badger64 2 1,827 3:rd-Dec-2020, 21:44:51
Last Post: badger64
  Newbie Urgent Wiper Washer Fault help ronseal 8 3,122 21:st-Aug-2020, 07:15:09
Last Post: Rusty2009
  abs fault custardsastra 2 4,773 19:th-Mar-2017, 08:17:03
Last Post: Rusty2009