Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
6 ticking loud cold 1 on petrol

1.6 Petrol loud ticking on cold
Hi all,

Bought a new (for me) 2014 GTC in Feb and love it!

However, I've noticed that on cold the engine ticks for around 15-30 seconds on cold, then dies down but can still be faintly heard. When cold it's so loud I can hear it from inside the cabin with all the windows shut.

I've got a 2-year warranty so have taken it back and Vauxhall told me that it's normal for the model? I've spoken to an independent mechanic and he's convinced it's tappits even though I've been told they're hydraulic on these cars... 
Though Vauxhall tell me I shouldn't be, I'm obviously worried about it. It's only done 12k!

Please could anyone comment with their thoughts? Is it normal? Should I get a second opinion? 

Thanks!
I've not heard this on Vx cars,
But I've had similar noises on other makes - caused by the oil returing to the sump after the engine is stopped (it then needs a few seconds for the pressure to build up when started)
I changed the pattern oil filter to genuine one (and an oil change) on a couple of cars, and had to change oil pressure relief valve on others.
I can't promise this is your problem, but an oil and filter change is a fairly quick and cheap thing to try.
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
(11:th-May-2018, 19:13:51)niteram Wrote: I've not heard this on Vx cars,
But I've had similar noises on other makes - caused by the oil returing to the sump after the engine is stopped (it then needs a few seconds for the pressure to build up when started)
I changed the pattern oil filter to genuine one (and an oil change) on a couple of cars, and had to change oil pressure relief valve on others.
I can't promise this is your problem, but an oil and filter change is a fairly quick and cheap thing to try.

Hey niteram,

Thanks for your quick reply and sorry for my late one, manic weekend!

I'll certainly give the oil filter a go, do you think I should recommend that Vauxhall do this (i.e. under warranty?) where do I stand with asking them to do work?
The dash display says oil health is at 69% but I guess like the service interval reminder, it's a manually resettable thing...

Cheers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car won’t start when cold Needanalias 8 2,041 6:th-Jan-2021, 19:58:27
Last Post: Jetcolour
  DPF problems cold weather 1.7 cdti 110 hp A17DTE seekar 1 1,979 19:th-Dec-2020, 22:27:52
Last Post: Kiel0777