Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
glow plugs

Glow plugs
The dreaded “service vehicle soon” message came on yesterday and after calling into my local garage they diagnosed a faulty no2 glow plug but they hadn’t got time to fix it. I’ve looked online and found there are 2 types, one with pressure sensors and one without. How do you find out what type my car has?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to add it’s a 2012 2.0 CDTI

If you have stop start you need the ones with the sensors.

If you don't have stop start you need the ones without sensors.

If you changing it / them yourself apply some copper grease to the thread to help prevent them sizing in.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Cheers mate yeah it’s stop/start typical they’re the most expensive!!!

Rusty, do all 4 have pressure sensors because I've seen some advertised on eBay for 4 plugs, 3 x without and 1 x with?
I'm easily confused
All four should have the sensors (mine all have sensors).

You could replace just the faulty one but I'd also replace them as a set if one's failed the others normally won't be far behind.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
Can’t believe the price difference between the two!!! Non sensor version £37.50 for 4, sensor version £72.50 each!!!

I know it's shocking mate.

I just had a look on GSF as they have 55% off but out the 3 they list not one says if it's for stop/start.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Was that price from the dealers? as I heard the dealer is cheaper than places like euro car parts etc for the glow plugs with the sensors also try http://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk which is another part of autovaux which is genuine parts as sometimes there cheaper the dealer all you do is type in the part number to get the price, I used them quite alot for parts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
That’s off eBay, just tried part search and they’re £77.40 on there. Thanks for the advice though I’m going to see what my local garage can get them at trade for

No problem mate sometimes they are cheaper sometimes they aren't just your luck as I found them cheaper when buying the parts for my heated seats as the mats were 20 pound cheaper per mat than my dealer. I normally phone my dealer now then check that site and see what's cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
The svs vehicle soon message had gone off today but I’m sure it’ll be back especially if the weather carries on being cold

carparts4less usually do them for around £60 each after applying a discount code.
(2:nd-Feb-2018, 18:35:30)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: The dreaded “service vehicle soon” message came on yesterday and after calling into my local garage they diagnosed a faulty no2 glow plug but they hadn’t got time to fix it. I’ve looked online and found there are 2 types, one with pressure sensors and one without. How do you find out what type my car has?
Thanks in advance

Forgot to add it’s a 2012 2.0 CDTI

IIRC, when I had the SVS message, it was glow plug No.2 that failed. It was the more expensive pressure sensor plugs. Mine doesn't have start/stop. Again, IIRC, the garage told me that 2 of the plugs are pressure ones, the other 2 are the cheaper ones.
I noticed you said yours didn't have start/stop which is strange because all of the glow plugs I've been looking at with the pressure sensor say they're for vehicles with start/stop? Also I've noticed that since I've had the error, my start/stop hasn't been working so I'm still confused. Mine's in tomorrow for repair anyway so I'll post any findings
(11:th-Feb-2018, 13:56:55)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: I noticed you said yours didn't have start/stop which is strange because all of the glow plugs I've been looking at with the pressure sensor say they're for vehicles with start/stop? Also I've noticed that since I've had the error, my start/stop hasn't been working so I'm still confused. Mine's in tomorrow for repair anyway so I'll post any findings

When glowplug 2 failed on mine, the garage said that there are 3 types of GP.

The cheaper non sensor ones.
The dearer pressure sensor ones.
The even dearer ones for start stop engines.

If I remember when I get home, I'll look at the invoice for the part No.
(12:th-Feb-2018, 11:58:55)Big Dave2 Wrote: If I remember when I get home, I'll look at the invoice for the part No.

The part No for Glow plug 2 on my 2.0CDTi (165) was 55590467
Mine was 55579436 charged me £74.90 but should have been £85 they passed on the discount because I used to work with them years ago

(13:th-Feb-2018, 13:10:37)sparkyscfc74 Wrote: Mine was 55579436 charged me £74.90 but should have been £85 they passed on the discount because I used to work with them years ago

That sounds like the 3rd type one for engines with SS.

I got 25% discount though my Masterfit Service Card, but it meant they had to also fit it to get the discount.
I have 2.0 cdti gtc with stop/start.
The glow plug in cylinder 1 is coming up as faulty. My question is, can an ordinary glow plug be used in my car or must I use a glow ug with a pressure sensor. Is the pressure sensor glow plug only for the operation of the stop/start system. To be honest I could live with out stop/start. Thanks.
My 2.0 CDTi doesn't have start/stop, but still has 2 pressure glow plugs. They're not only for the start/stop system.

IIRC, there are 3 different types of glow plug. Bog standard, pressure, and for start/stop engines.

Surely you should be changing like for like though?
I dont think you can use no-pressure sensor (cheapest) plugs on a car that needs the pressure sensor as the connector is different.
Yeah your correct, mechanic just showed me the difference in the plugs. Does anybody know if the glow plugs have to be programmed like injectors.
Nope, plug and play.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wrong Spark plugs chris87 0 1,508 4:th-Mar-2020, 17:50:35
Last Post: chris87
  Plugs glow in A17DTS Saxito@Tech 14 9,490 27:th-Dec-2015, 23:35:53
Last Post: tucpal