Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
gearbox drain oil plug?

Gearbox Oil drain plug?
My mate nearly rounded off the drain plug which is shaped like an allen key, fortunately he stopped before this happened. 

Which has resulted in me not getting my gearbox oil changed.

Anybody know the correct size I need to undo this or where I can purchase the correct size from?

Cheers
Well I guess you should just move up in size until it doesnt fit and then go back one size?
I think it is a 10mm.

I don't know if it's possible but maybe you can fit some pliers on the outside of the plug to help it turn.
If it's totally rounded you might have to try and spot weld something on...
The correct tool for the gearbox drain plug is definately a torx, if I remember correctly it was either a t30 or t40.
Heres a link here you will need a 1/2 drive ratchet it you don't have one. http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/t...t-rail-1-2 hope that helps.
Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Think you might mean the sump plug which is 13mm which is a nightmare to come off at times lol last time I had to used a hammer and chisel for it which I don't recommend as one miss or too much force and it's goodbye sump . I invested in these crocodile wrenches after having that problem as they work brilliant

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a...gKCmvD_BwE

(4:th-Jan-2018, 07:00:25)Iaintruten Wrote: The correct tool for the gearbox drain plug is definately a torx, if I remember correctly it was either a t30 or t40.

On previous Vauxhall's I've had, I'm pretty sure it was T45.
(4:th-Jan-2018, 11:57:00)Big Dave2 Wrote:
(4:th-Jan-2018, 07:00:25)Iaintruten Wrote: The correct tool for the gearbox drain plug is definately a torx, if I remember correctly it was either a t30 or t40.

On previous Vauxhall's I've had, I'm pretty sure it was T45.
It may be a t45 as I can't remember off the top of my head as it was a few months ago I done it i just remember it was one of the bigger ones lol. That set I mentioned above would cover it anyway.

Cheers guys.
Just purchased a back up gearbox drain plug for a £5
Any oil changes I do anyway, might just me been fussy lol but I change the plugs every time I do a change as I always change the plugs, when I done the gearbox I changed the filler and drain plug as they are both the same part.

Anybody know where I can get the schematic of the actual engine showing were the filler & drain plugs are located.
What car do you have engine size is it 2.0cdti 1.7 or petrol model mate.

The filler cap on top of the gearbox which will be under the battery so you would need to take the battery out then the tray, as for the drain plug that is on the bottom of the gearbox here is a link.

http://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/ast...nspection/.

That is for the f40 gearbox but I'm sure the m32 will be similar someone else may be able to tell you if the m32 is the same as I havnt done that one only the f40 gearbox.

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-HOW...ar-box-oil also you can have a look in this thread mate.

Thanks.

Mines the 2.0 CDTI with the F40 gearbox.
So the battery & tray has to be removed.
Wasnt aware of that. Cheers
Yeah mate battery tray needs to come out mate. No worries mate.

Iaintruten Wrote:Yeah mate battery tray needs to come out mate. No worries mate.

I have the M32 gearbox and yes, you could/should take the battery tray out but there is a much easyer way of filling the gearbox without removing anything.
Just get a clean flexible hose that fits into the fill hole and put a funnel on the other end and fill it like that. Saves you a lot of work and time, and you can fill it without spilling a drop.
You should be able to access the gearbox filler plug by just removing the ecu from its mount. The video below is for a gtc vxr but the gearbox is a f40 and filler plug is in the same position. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.0 CDTi Auto Gearbox Oil Change Dennis S 0 1,390 13:th-Aug-2021, 14:29:25
Last Post: Dennis S
  Gearbox whine m32 Nathan191210 1 1,399 22:nd-Feb-2021, 09:18:27
Last Post: Rusty2009
F40 gearbox oil amount Wak1969 10 6,183 13:th-Nov-2020, 16:28:55
Last Post: eatmybogbrush
  door drain grommets bigbadkes 2 1,906 28:th-Aug-2020, 19:45:49
Last Post: niteram
  2014 Astra 2.0L 165 HP F40 gearbox quantity of oil?? Kpal11 3 3,098 12:th-Jan-2020, 16:38:41
Last Post: Kpal11
  Plug behind dash Steve_warner 5 4,445 1:st-Jun-2017, 09:43:42
Last Post: vocky
  Gearbox Oil Change? doug143 0 3,232 14:th-Jan-2016, 21:05:49
Last Post: doug143
  Mystery Plug sheppy1 9 5,662 3:rd-May-2015, 09:26:49
Last Post: sheppy1