Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tags
an unit alpine head fitting

fitting an alpine head unit
hi all

im new on this site and only just got my first astra what i would like help with is fitting an after market head unit as i do like my music 

my first option would be to fit a sat nav unit like the alpine ine w990bt this requires a speed pulse signal for more accurate position on the unit where would i find the speed pulse wire to tap off??

i could forget sat nav and go with an alpine ive w585bt to fit both of these i will need to change the fascia is this a pig of a job or not to bad to do??

how much info will be lost on the top screen if i go ahead and do this install will the steering will controls cause problems the fascia is a connects2 model with all patch leads

i will also replacing the speakers and adding a sub are the door speakers a nightmare to do ? has anyone run a new loom for the door speaker or is it better to use existing loom?? 

thanks for any replys as im sure i will be asking more questions in the coming weeks as i progress
It's not a hard job at all and we have all the how-to's on this apart from fitting an AMP/SUB to aftermarket as I never did a howto when I did it.

How-to remove headunit & screen

How-to install aftermarket head unit

How-to change speakers

How-to fit sub to CD400
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
thanks for the links they will help alot

do you or anyone else know if there is a dedicated speed pulse in the radio loom or a location for which i can tap from??

thanks in advance
IIRC the connects2 kit has speed pulse wire.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
hi  all

well here go's my install i have gone with a pioneer head unit avic f9880 dab
has all the bits i needed sat nav usb and so on

for the fascia im using connects2 parts

front speakers are jl c2 650 comps
rear speakers are jl c2 650 coax
sub is jl cp108

powered by a genesis profile 5 amp

so i have started on my install so far im not happy with the connects2 fascia as it seems a poor fit or does it need as they say a little fettling as where the ecoflex button is so seems to be pushing on the surround for the four line display this in-turn pushes the fascia away from the double din unit as well leaving a gap all the way round the unit 
 the unit is all the way forward in its bracket so should sit flush with the fascia but doesnt 

please could some one help out on this one or should i contact connects2??
Mine fitted properly with no issues at all I would contact connects2
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I found the facia to be a bit awkward to install at first, still have to sort of push down so it fits under the original display bit at the top as well even now, but does sit flush

2012 Astra J 2.0 cdti sri
yep D92 your right its a push down and up to get it to sit flush under the original surround for the 4 line display ....so im a happy bunny again

next daft question has anyone run a 4awg power cable thru the bulkhead?? ................if so where abouts did you run it as thats my next job to do as im nearly done with the first phase of the install

thanks in advance with any help i get
I didn't have to push down and up with mine just started fitting from the top and worked my way round equal on both sides.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I have four 8 gauge wires down the side without issue, tucked under the trim no issues.

Go through the rubber grommet behind the glove-box where all the other wires go.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Does yours fit flush on top lip, I cant get mine to fit.

hi sorry i didnt get back sooner yes at the very top of the fascia it dips slightly but not enough for me to worry about

i have seen the grommet behind the glove box did you cut a hole in the grommet and reseal with mastic such as some dow corning or try to slide in with the loom

thanks again for the help
Yes I made a slice with Stanley knife put wire through and sealed with sealant on both side.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
hi another question im going to run a new speaker loom from front to rear,has anyone done this i have seen the pictures and it looks  a pig to do also what size cable did you use as im thinking of 12awg/14awg for the amount of power im running to the door speakers

thanks again
I have, only issue is space behind the unit xD.

I have both my tweeter splitters behind there and that uses most of the remaining space.

I have used an ISO to ISO cable that I cut at the audio feed and then extended the wires back to the amp in the boot, bypassing the head units output

My setup:

Original quadlock -> Connects2 -> ISO Splitter -> ISO to head unit.

too true no room what so ever behind unit but beside the glove box was just enough room to get that canbus converter in but the word tight is under stated....lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Fit Sub To CD400 Head Unit TUFFKNUX 138 105,447 20:th-May-2021, 09:19:58
Last Post: h4r7y
  How to Install aftermarket head unit Rusty2009 55 52,510 14:th-Mar-2021, 15:16:56
Last Post: GTC-Nut
  Battery drain Android tesla style head unit rayvo1 4 3,357 9:th-Sep-2020, 21:05:31
Last Post: rayvo1
  Dash cam on Android unit robk999 2 9,327 2:nd-Nov-2019, 10:30:30
Last Post: Rusty2009
  CD400 buttons not working Android head unit install mephisto 4 7,153 27:th-Oct-2019, 17:30:00
Last Post: mephisto
  How to Install Android Head Unit + Wireless Reverse Camera sheppy1 64 37,668 9:th-Jan-2019, 15:07:53
Last Post: Shorty5
  after market head init marky79 0 5,260 4:th-Nov-2018, 17:17:12
Last Post: marky79
  DVB=T2 fitting kipper 0 1,927 23:rd-Oct-2018, 18:43:44
Last Post: kipper
  Where to find standard head units cubez0 9 7,585 18:th-Oct-2018, 17:55:45
Last Post: Rusty2009
  What's the best dongle for a V5754 android head unit? johnboy999 11 8,578 12:th-May-2018, 20:36:07
Last Post: Alby75