Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
j gtc options and best drl

Best drl options j and gtc.

There are some good and some bad options out there for the DRL bulbs
i will cover the best options here.

...The Standard DRL bulbs....

As you will all know are yellow and Dull
and not really up to the job of being a DRL
what more can i say apart from they fit good and that is about it.
W21/5W (580).

....PROLARG/MTEC......

The first white looking bulb and cheapest option here
are the cheap Prolarg or MTEC DRL bulbs you find on ebay etc
they go by many names but all are around the £7.99 to £12.00 range.

These are the cheapest option out there
and you do get a nice white light that are also error free
but the down side is they don't fit well at all
and they have been know to fall out of the DRL holder and in to headlight
and it is a bumper off and headlight out job to get the bulb back out
so if you do go for this option be warned
You get what you pay for.

....PIAA DRL....

By far the best option here is the PIAA DRL BULBS
There are two types the standard Blue PIAA DRL,S.

And then the more expensive mirror PIAA DRL,S.

the PIAA are a bit brighter than the cheep Prolarg DRL,s
and have a bit more wattage but this has no ill effects at all (580) T20 27/8W.
and they are more expensive starting at around £20 for the standard Blue PIAA DRL,s
and around £30 for the mirror PIAA DRL.s they also are error free.

The only real difference is that the mirror PIAA DRL bulb does not look as blue in the headlight
when you look at it as it has a mirrored finish so the blue bulb does not stand out as much.  
The fit of the PIAA is perfect and they hold in the DRL holder as well as the standard bulb  
and they will not fall out of the holder like the cheaper eBay DRL,S tend to do
They are well worth the extra money for this reason.

....LED DRL,s...

If you have an Astra GTC or VXR then you have the option of the LED DRLS
and they will be error free as the DRL on the GTC and VXR are not on the bulb check
so just put the LED in the holder and job done.

But they only work with out errors in the GTC and VXR.

The Astra J 5 door will get error codes from the LED DRL,S unless load resisters are added to cancel the errors
check the how to section for further info on this under Astra j LED DRL.

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-HOW-...a-J-5-door

They are by far the brightest option here brighter than the PIAA
they also fit very well in the bulb holder  
and go for around £20 to £30 for a good set
but you must find a set that will dim down and not all LED bulbs will do this you need a W21/5W 5050 7443 LED
i recommend the LED DRL,s from HIDS DIRECT
for both the Astra GTC and VXR and the Astra j as they will Dim down for side light mode
and they are very very white with a slight tint of blue.    

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/r580-w21-5w...air-white/

.........FACTORY..LED...........

Then there is the factory LED DRL option
they come with AFL and LED DRL halogen headlights
if you go down this wrought then the LED DRL halogens headlights are needed
but you must also fit the factory LED ballasts to cancel errors
also if these are not fitted there is a real risk of fire
but as yet we dont have a how to on this and this will also be the most expensive option here

All the above options are much brighter and whiter than the standard yellow factory DRL,S
and i prefer the LED DRL,s myself but the PIAA are also very good.

if you have any info or need any help with fitting DRL,S or any other bulb
then check the lighting how to section out for more info etc.

http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Forum-Lighting-How-to-s

Or just post your question here in this thread
and it should get answered.
Cheers for this mate!

I bought some LED DRLs yesterday for my GTC which worked fine for about 5 minutes, after a short trip one had gone out and smelt of electrical burning...

I wouldn't reccommend buying off 'Bargain Station' on eBay at all.

Going to give HIDs Direct a look and hopefully have better luck there!

(First ever post on a forum, hope I'm doing it right haha!)
So I can fit these to my 5door without load resisters but they will not dim down in sidelight and I will get error on the dash? Does it affect the brightness by not having resistors? I can live with the error and I don't want my light to dim down so that's a bonus. Can just swap them before mot
(3:rd-Sep-2016, 11:27:43)Astra VXD Wrote: So I can fit these to my 5door without load resisters but they will not dim down in sidelight and I will get error on the dash? Does it affect the brightness by not having resistors? I can live with the error and I don't want my light to dim down so that's a bonus. Can just swap them before mot
If you get LEDS from HID Direct then they will dim as expected however with a load resistor you will get an error message on the dash.

You can get them to not dim by crossing the pins over on the bulb itself... Or so I read somewhere. I'm sure @tucpal will be able to tell you more on this one. He's the king of LEDs and HIDs on here.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(3:rd-Sep-2016, 11:27:43)Astra VXD Wrote: So I can fit these to my 5door without load resisters but they will not dim down in sidelight and I will get error on the dash? Does it affect the brightness by not having resistors? I can live with the error and I don't want my light to dim down so that's a bonus. Can just swap them before mot

I've got LED DRLs that are error free on my J 5 door. Also swapped the pins to fit the J socket and are bright all the time. 
They are 16w so close enough to factory not to trigger an error.
have you got a link at all others may be interested in that thanks
I definitely would be interested in error free LEDs!!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk
(19:th-Sep-2016, 01:08:32)sanj424 Wrote:
(3:rd-Sep-2016, 11:27:43)Astra VXD Wrote: So I can fit these to my 5door without load resisters but they will not dim down in sidelight and I will get error on the dash? Does it affect the brightness by not having resistors? I can live with the error and I don't want my light to dim down so that's a bonus. Can just swap them before mot

I've got LED DRLs that are error free on my J 5 door. Also swapped the pins to fit the J socket and are bright all the time. 

Got a link for those bulbs ? I tried these bulbs out. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-White-COB-LED...nav=SEARCH They worked but did not dim down. After a hour drive I checked them and the driver side was not working. So I swapped them around and none of them would work.so I put them back so the passenger side worked and the other didn't.everytime I put a bulb in the driver side it would not work,so i put the oem halogen back in the driver side and it worked.so put the led back in to have a play,with no luck. I decided to put the sidelights on as I could see one of the bulbs trying to light,,walked round the back of the car and noticed I didn't have any lights lit up at the back? Went and turned the lights off and took driver side bulb out and noticed the plastic had started to melt around the pins.only on the driver side other side was still working fine.so i just took both out and all is now fine rear lights working fine again. Pissed me off because these bulbs looked amazing with 6000k
(15:th-Oct-2016, 22:59:29)Astra VXD Wrote:
(19:th-Sep-2016, 01:08:32)sanj424 Wrote:

Got a link for those bulbs ? I tried these bulbs out. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-White-COB-LED...nav=SEARCH    They worked but did not dim down. After a hour drive I checked them and the driver side was not working. So I swapped them around and none of them would work.so I put them back so the passenger side worked and the other didn't.everytime I put a bulb in the driver side it would not work,so i put the oem  halogen back in the driver side and it worked.so put the led back in to have a play,with no luck. I decided to put the sidelights on as I could see one of the bulbs trying to light,,walked round the back of the car and noticed I didn't have any lights lit up at the back? Went and turned the lights off and took driver side bulb out and noticed the plastic had started to melt around the pins.only on the driver side other side was still working fine.so i just took both out and all is now fine rear lights working fine again. Pissed me off because these bulbs looked amazing with 6000k
Here is the link www.ebay.com/itm/281879800360 . Mine is still working well (11 months). It flickers sometimes on dim mode, and once it threw up an error, but cleared it and drove off - didn't show up again. It did show the halogens to be really yellowish in comparison (despite already 4000k Philips White vision H7). I have been running H7 LED 5700k color for 2 months which is really white and bright and has a good cut off despite being in reflector housing (no additional glare). Se post #12-13 in this thread https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Ast...IGHT-BULBS
Just changed all the lights to the whiter bulbs. They are coloured blue to give a white light. However the DRL/side lights are really blue looking. Anyone suggest a good bulb that gives a nice white light look

Here is a pic of the one side with a white look DRL, but look blue to me.

And this is a pic with the other side with a standard DRL bulb in, which looks yellow.

The other lights in the head lights, the dipped and main beam lights look ok to me. They look white.

Would these be any good. Only £1 from Hong Kong. Would they have two brightness settings. One for DRL the other for sidelights

And these say they are canbus error free. Any idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(4:th-Feb-2017, 19:27:10)mart Wrote: Just changed all the lights to the whiter bulbs. They are coloured blue to give a white light.  However the DRL/side lights are really blue looking.  Anyone suggest a good bulb that gives a nice white light look

Here is a pic of the one side with a white look DRL, but look blue to me.

And this is a pic with the other side with a standard DRL bulb in, which looks yellow.

The other lights in the head lights, the dipped and main beam lights look ok to me. They look white.

Would these be any good. Only £1 from Hong Kong. Would they have two brightness settings. One for DRL the other for sidelights

And these say they are canbus error free. Any idea

This would likely work but probably need to change the pin config as its meant for tail lights. Also this will throw up a bulb error in the 5 door astra J as its canbus monitored even if the lights actually work due to low A consumption of LEDs. 

Hid direct uk have some dimmable T20s that don't throw up the error message anymore. I think some have already used it here. I am still using an older T20 where its not dimmable that I reconfigured the pins but is strong enough not to have a error message - very white too. Link is in the post above.
Sorry can't find the link. Could you repost it

Also what do mean by change the pin config

(6:th-Feb-2017, 08:37:47)mart Wrote: Sorry can't find the link. Could you repost it

Also what do mean by change the pin config

If you were to persist with the T20 bulb meant for tail lights then you would have to change the pin config, sample video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhYpU33TrDQ&t=3s

The HID direct UK LED T20 selection should not require any change in pins: http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/...w21-5w-t20
I don't think hid direct uk have any led 580 bulbs that don't throw up errors on the 5dr J. I know of only one person so far who has not had errors without having to put in extra resistors.
Bit confused now that video shows how to change bulb to give high modes on both DRL and sidelight setting.

But don't I want DRL to be high mode (brighter) and sidelight to be low mode (dimmer).

Does it matter which way you put the standard bulb in and the LED bulb in

This pic was on the eBay led bulb I bought if that helps.

(8:th-Feb-2017, 10:29:33)stigeye Wrote: I don't think hid direct uk have any led 580 bulbs that don't throw up errors on the 5dr J. I know of only one person so far who has not had errors without having to put in extra resistors.

I bought load resistors from Hids direct and they didnt light up at all, i have given up on my 5 door having led drls as none are error free.
My led bulbs came today. Tried fitting them but the pins didn't line up with the connections, I had to bend the pins over the other side. Then when I put in the bulb it took out the rear left tail light. Thought it blew the fuse but you just got to take the led bulb out, turn lights off and wait a few secs and when I turned the sidelights back on the tail light is back on and working.

So then I tried putting the led bulb in the other way and it works. However when I try starting the engine to test the DRL there is no light at all. Only works for side lights.

I then realised by looking at the bulb socket that negative is on one side of the wedge bulb and the DRL (bright) and Sidelight (dim) is on the other
See pics

So I need to get different LED bulbs as the ones I got have negative the wrong way around.
Need to get the CK type looking at this pic.
Installed 2 T20's today for my DLR's........Astra J GTC 2013.
Errorfree and great light (white!).

Wanna include pics in here, but how?
Opel Astra J GTC 1.4 Turbo Build: July 2013
Black
(15:th-Feb-2017, 23:31:13)EagleForce Wrote: Installed 2 T20's today for my DLR's........Astra J GTC 2013.

Here you go
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...hotobucket
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
Before
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98b6dmqv7tinec...5.jpg?dl=0

After
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktweoqyd894s5a...0.jpg?dl=0

Can anyone see these? I shared with dropbox.........but I don't see them here..........

Now should be seen when you click on the pics-url
Black
Best way I find to include pics is using the tatatalk app on my phone

Was the bulb a led or halogen bulb. Also do you have a link

Are they any good bulb replacements for the DRL/sidelights which don't look blue, have a nice white look, are error free and preferable a bulb not LED.

(16:th-Feb-2017, 08:27:15)Rusty2009 Wrote:
(15:th-Feb-2017, 23:31:13)EagleForce Wrote: Installed 2 T20's today for my DLR's........Astra J GTC 2013.

Here you go
https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-How...hotobucket

(19:th-Feb-2017, 11:13:31)mart Wrote: Are they any good bulb replacements for the DRL/sidelights which don't look blue, have a nice white look, are error free and preferable a bulb not LED.

See my post here with pics, click on them. I have a GTC from 2013, and these LED's are errorfree and nice white. Here can get them from person for 14 euro's. But then needs to be posted to UK which could be around 3 euros I think.
Black
Has anyone else tried these in a J 5 door and not gettings the errors other than already mentioned above?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hi. I just installed those reg plate in my 63plate Astra GTC 1.4 turbo sri and finally no error on the dash. They only cost £11
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3013910986

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

And those DRL which actually switch to parking lights and are quite white.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...2140064253

(12:th-Mar-2018, 03:57:48)sansej4 Wrote: Hi. I just installed those reg plate in my 63plate Astra GTC 1.4 turbo sri and finally no error on the dash. They only cost £11

Is the drl coming up error free too?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
(7:th-Jun-2018, 14:16:03)umognog Wrote:
(12:th-Mar-2018, 03:57:48)sansej4 Wrote: Hi. I just installed those reg plate in my 63plate Astra GTC 1.4 turbo sri and finally no error on the dash. They only cost £11

Is the drl coming up error free too?

Yes they do but keep in mind that this is GTC not J.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Boo.

Actually have some load resistors laying around and standard T20 led bulbs so might just do that.

hello everyone.
Great article. I have a problem with thee stock shocket. it destroying the bulbs bud contact. i tried PIIA but they burned.
1: did anyone know where to foung the original Hella shocket or any shocket that fits ?
I bought some shocket, leds and resisters from ebay but the shockets doesn't fit .so i didn't spend more time with this project.
any solution plaese?
(30:th-Nov-2018, 20:52:46)Dipatrx8 Wrote: hello everyone.
Great article. I have a problem with thee stock shocket. it destroying the  bulbs bud contact. i tried PIIA but they burned.
1: did anyone know where to foung the original Hella shocket or  any shocket that fits ?
I bought some shocket, leds and resisters from ebay but the shockets doesn't fit .so i didn't  spend more time with this project.
any solution plaese?

There is no information on the socket to get replacements all you can do is get them from another headlight.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.

Who read this thread?
4 User(s) read this thread:
airainchoc (7:th-Jul-2023, 10:28:23), Astrovxr (25:th-Jun-2023, 20:00:16), Tonymahoney (24:th-Apr-2023, 18:24:38), Jjmorris90 (1:st-Apr-2023, 21:57:08)