Switch to desktop version  
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Welcome back to the VXOC FORUM. Sorry for our lack of support over the last year but MYBB is back and so are we. Let's get the forum buzzing again... (March 25, 2022) x

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Tags
cluster instrument ipc menus the extra on

Extra menus on the Instrument Cluster (IPC)

Had a visit from Lewis6317 today and enabled the the extra menus.

Here's a video showing how to it with the correct software and and interface.

Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
I can do programming and retrofits using genuine GM MDI and Dealer software.
good morning
you how to enable the witness "shift" in IPC for the passage of the upper report?
thank you
So rusty2009 did yours not have mpg before? I thought it was standard.
What software was this?
its just an upgrade for lower spec cars that dont have most of the above
mickael1711 Wrote:good morning
you how to enable the witness "shift" in IPC for the passage of the upper report?
thank you

Do mean the up-shift for gears?

bannan Wrote:So rusty2009 did yours not have mpg before? I thought it was standard.
What software was this?

I did yes mate but this was Lewis's car and he didn't.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Retrofitted AFL, TPMS, Navi950, BT, DAB, Rear Camera, Infinity sound system, Towbar, Flexfloor & more.
[quote=Rusty2009]Do mean the up-shift for gears?

yes
Ok not looked TBH mate what display do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
I have the same model you
The one above is not mine it's [MENTION=19]Lewis6317[/MENTION] I asked and he said he has the up shift without plugging it on I wouldn't be able to say if it was possible.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Its basically pointless anyway unless you like ECO driving
Rusty2009, i am in southampton, when would i be able to come to you so you can enable trip computer. i have astra J 2011 with big display. I currently have menu1- trip 1/trip2/mph and menu 2 unit selection/oil level. How much would this cost?Please could you contact me to arrange a date. Thanks
(7:th-Apr-2017, 18:38:43)Emmalouise Wrote: Rusty2009, i am in southampton, when would i be able to come to you so you can enable trip computer. i have astra J 2011 with big display. I currently have menu1- trip 1/trip2/mph and menu 2 unit selection/oil level. How much would this cost?Please could you contact me to arrange a date. Thanks

Hi Emmalouise, PM sent.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
i have been told that the dash can have the old game snake programed into it, is this true?

regards james
(13:th-Jul-2017, 09:09:47)millsy417 Wrote: i have been told that the dash can have the old game snake programed into it, is this true?

regards james

Not that I'm aware of think someone is pulling your leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
What is the case if I don't even have the menus you labeled as standard?
The only menus present on my BC are the ones that have aggregated trip/consumption/average speed and the one that displays current speed/remaining fuel/current consumption.
One of these three menus can be seen in the picture below.

And is this also possible with some cheap OPCOMM devices?
You can turn on hidden menus with op-com bot don't buy cheap units off ebay.

you can't go from mid level (that's the one in opening post of this thread) to up-level that you have pictured to do that would mean an IPC upgrade.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
The picture I posted is from my car. That would mean that I have a better IPC and can have all the menus?

Any danger in using cheap OP-COM devices?
I mean their advantage is the price, which up to 10x greater for MDI devices.
Yes you can turn on lots.

I'm not saying go & buy a MDI & never would as they are expensive like you say also the costs we charged now to access the software etc is going silly.

When I said don't don't buy cheap op-com from ebay I mean just that not from ebay.

Pay a little more and getting better built unit with higher quality parts from here http://www.op-com.co.uk/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

You can't do a lot with them but extra menus key programming and reading/clearing fault codes, you can re-learn somethings but not everything... If in doubt don't do it I've had to reprogram a fair few cars because owners have got a tool they don't understand and think it'll be a great idea to just click away.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks for the info!

I'll definitely look into it a little more as I'm new to all this and wouldn't randomly go clicking inside an unknown software.
Hi everyone,
Sorry to raise an old thread but I'm currently banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure this one out as there's so much conflicting info about this online!

Just bought a 2014 astra excite (1.7 CDTi) and the only thing I'm not liking at the moment is the lack of info on the display. I have a midlevel display at the minute (smaller than the one in rusty's pics above) that just shows total miles and oil life remaining.

If I get the opcom kit mentioned above (the £35 one from opcom.co.uk) will I actually be able to change the menus on the smaller display? Not after anything too fancy, just average and instant mpg (plus anything else I can get).

Anyone done any of the smaller displays before? If this is a frustratingly common question with a simple answer, please feel free to shout! Thanks in advance
(20:th-Jan-2020, 23:37:15)amp92 Wrote: Hi everyone,
Sorry to raise an old thread but I'm currently banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure this one out as there's so much conflicting info about this online!

Just bought a 2014 astra excite (1.7 CDTi) and the only thing I'm not liking at the moment is the lack of info on the display. I have a midlevel display at the minute (smaller than the one in rusty's pics above) that just shows total miles and oil life remaining.

If I get the opcom kit mentioned above (the £35 one from opcom.co.uk) will I actually be able to change the menus on the smaller display? Not after anything too fancy, just average and instant mpg (plus anything else I can get).

Anyone done any of the smaller displays before? If this is a frustratingly common question with a simple answer, please feel free to shout! Thanks in advance

Hi, If your display is smaller than the one above it's the half display.
Yes you can turn on some extra's on it with op-com to show MPG and miles left there is another but I can't think what it is.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
(21:st-Jan-2020, 08:18:38)Rusty2009 Wrote: Hi, If your display is smaller than the one above it's the half display.
Yes you can turn on some extra's on it with op-com to show MPG and miles left there is another but I can't think what it is.

Ah brilliant, thanks for the quick reply! Yeah it is smaller, but that's fine as I'm only really bothered about mpg and miles left (seeing as I bought the car to save money on fuel lol). I'll get one of those ordered now.

Thanks again! Hopefully I wont be writing an "I bricked my car with an OP-com" thread in a few days 
(21:st-Jan-2020, 08:18:38)Rusty2009 Wrote: Hi, If your display is smaller than the one above it's the half display.

Hi again, so I haven't bricked my car (yet, anyway) but I'm struggling a bit. I bought the nicer opcom kit suggested before and I'm using the 2014 software that came from the opcom website. I can connect to the car ok - problem is when I try to do an IPC program it says writing failed. Car is fine afterwards but it's driving me crazy!

Any ideas of what special sauce I might have to use to get the IPC reprogram to work on this one? I installed it as suggested on the site originally, but then replaced the USB serial drivers with the ones included with 2014 vaux-com software (from the same site). It's running on a windows 10 laptop in XP compatibility mode as administrator. Car is an astra J excite 2014 with a half display.

Also, if anyone reading this is in the Leicester area with the kit to do this or knows of a garage in Leicester that does it give me a shout please. Thanks!
I've played about with a few of these. With some success but I have to say not all IPC are covered in opcom. I've found a few that don't work unfortunately. It all depends if the coding is in the opcom software. I have 2018 version opcom and even that failed on a couple , especially insignia ones.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
(8:th-Feb-2020, 10:27:07)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: I've played about with a few of these. With some success but I have to say not all IPC are covered in opcom. I've found a few that don't work unfortunately. It all depends if the coding is in the opcom software. I have 2018 version opcom and even that failed on a couple , especially insignia ones.

Ah so do you think I might just be SOL with this then?

Dont suppose you know of any garages that would be willing to do this (and actually know what they're doing)? My closest Vauxhall garage is drive Vauxhall I think - I might just give them a ring setting as I need to ask about getting my driver's seat trim fixed as well
I honestly don't think they will do extra menus in afraid. They tend to stick to what the book says.
NAVI950 , DAB+ & Rear Camera , quick heat, auto lights and rain sensor retrofit
I'm afraid that most main dealers don't have the knowledge/skill or the will to anything other than the ordinary stuff (servicing etc)
retrofitted = DAB+, GM dog guard, GM reversing camera
Never known a main dealer do any of it.

If you have teamviwer I could have a look for you.

Failing that I'm passing by Leicester on Wednesday at some point in the afternoon On my way upto Yorkshire (If you wanted to meet at some point with quick access off/on the M1 I'll bring my 2018 version).
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice - Rusty I've sent you a PM but since then I've given it another go (removing all drivers and following the seller's advice again, this time with my laptop not connect to the internet) and I now get an "initialising ECU" message in the bottom left when I select Instrument Cluster. Seems like the opcom doesn't want to talk to my car anymore - starting to wonder if it's a broken unit. I got as far as trying to program before, but now I can't even get to that step. Haven't used any software downloaded from the internet as I didn't want to break the unit with ultra shonky software for cheap clones.
(9:th-Feb-2020, 22:55:17)amp92 Wrote: Thanks everyone for the replies and advice - Rusty I've sent you a PM but since then I've given it another go (removing all drivers and following the seller's advice again, this time with my laptop not connect to the internet) and I now get an "initialising ECU" message in the bottom left when I select Instrument Cluster. Seems like the opcom doesn't want to talk to my car anymore - starting to wonder if it's a broken unit. I got as far as trying to program before, but now I can't even get to that step. Haven't used any software downloaded from the internet as I didn't want to break the unit with ultra shonky software for cheap clones.

I've not tried using it on windows as mines been upgraded to HQ-clone which does work 100% perfect on windows 10.

Is the op-com passing the interface test ok?

Rather than running in XP mode try just running as admin.

I'll reply to you PM now.
Astra-J 2.0 CDTI S/S
Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies and advice. Problem is resolved now so I thought I'd post just to wrap things up in case people stumble on this thread in future.

I've found that the 2014 version just didnt work with my astra no matter what I did - tried all different versions of software, car detection and drivers and nothing worked for me. Rusty kindly stopped off and his 2018 version worked perfectly first try, so I'm fairly sure there's a compatibility issue with the 2014 astra J and the 2014 opcom (there was with my 1.7 cdti anyway) unless I just got a bad unit.

All sorted now, thanks again for your advice and massive thank you rusty for helping me out!
Glad you managed to sort it out.
Is there any pattern to what display was fitted to what models / specs or is there a way of finding out before getting the car?!
I'm thinking this may be something to go on the list of upgrades if I have the display in Rusty's first post and not the smaller half one...

Who read this thread?
7 User(s) read this thread:
cosmo black (10:th-May-2023, 21:13:01), James37518 (15:th-Jan-2024, 01:28:09), dawid926 (24:th-May-2023, 13:21:35), Lito4h (25:th-Nov-2023, 09:38:17), wampiros6 (10:th-Feb-2024, 19:38:19), ozkanuman (20:th-Feb-2024, 08:00:27), meriva_turbo (9:th-Mar-2024, 22:08:28)