Switch to desktop version  
gear box issues - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: gear box issues (/showthread.php?tid=87)

Pages: 1 2

gear box issues - tucpal - 3:rd-Mar-2014

gear box issues
Got one or had one post here
i think we all know the M32 will be popular in this section.

gear box issues - Migwell030744 - 4:th-Mar-2014

Had a new M32 at 28000 ish, as I had a noise on 5th and 6th gear. I left it as long as I could before having it replaced to allow have it replaced as near as possable to the end of warrantee. I might as well have a new box at the start of me having to go it by myself.

gear box issues - mg3091 - 16:th-Mar-2014

Migwell030744 Wrote:Had a new M32 at 28000 ish, as I had a noise on 5th and 6th gear. I left it as long as I could before having it replaced to allow have it replaced as near as possable to the end of warrantee. I might as well have a new box at the start of me having to go it by myself.

I didn't think any of the J/GTC's had the M32 box?

gear box issues - tucpal - 16:th-Mar-2014

YES THE 1.4 TURBO 1.6 TURBO 1.7 CDTI
here is a reference thread for engine and gear box's
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Engine-and-Gearbox-Combinations

the M32 was upgraded for the j it got better bearings put in it
but there have been a few issues with them
but not as many as the H YET.

gear box issues - mg3091 - 16:th-Mar-2014

tucpal Wrote:YES THE 1.4 TURBO 1.6 TURBO 1.7 CDTI
here is a reference thread for engine and gear box's
http://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-Engine-and-Gearbox-Combinations

the M32 was upgraded for the j it got better bearings put in it
but there have been a few issues with them
but not as many as the H YET.

Well all I can say is I'm thankful for a 2 litre CDTi

gear box issues - Cameron UK - 16:th-Mar-2014

mg3091 Wrote:Well all I can say is I'm thankful for a 2 litre CDTi

Haha I used to have a 1.7 gtc,

gear box issues - n1ibor - 20:th-Mar-2014

1.4 here. the car is new and already a tough shift from 1st to 2nd

gear box issues - mg3091 - 20:th-Mar-2014

n1ibor Wrote:1.4 here. the car is new and already a tough shift from 1st to 2nd

Never nice to hear, had the M32 in my 1.9 CDTi 150 H, had it sorted twice in 3 months.. :(

gear box issues - n1ibor - 26:th-Mar-2014

went to the garage and they told me it shifted normal

gear box issues - JohnL - 3:rd-Apr-2014

Mine gave a few issues when changing from 1st to 2nd. Doesn't do it all the time though. Took it in and they checked the linkage etc. Still did it after a month it got worse to the point the car would jump out of second gear either when engine breaking or half way around a bend. Back to the dealership and a new box was ordered. It's been fine since.

gear box issues - WhelanUK - 10:th-Apr-2014

Anyone had an issue with 1st gear. When I slow down, say for light and I'm going to quick for 2nd I try and put it into first and it won't go.

gear box issues - Migwell030744 - 10:th-Apr-2014

I have never had a problem with first gear. My trouble was with 5th and 6th making a noise. 1st was still OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 27:th-Jun-2014

For those with the F40 box that have issues with with 1st-2nd 2nd-3rd then please see How-to adjust gear linkage.

Also a change of gearbox oil may help see the the How-to here

If your not sure what box you have see here

gear box issues - cornishtaz - 27:th-Jun-2014

I had an issue today was doing a journey to Northampton and about 1/2 way(35 miles) I couldn't select 1st or the 2nd. This was the first run after doing the gear linkage adjustment. When I got to where I was going I readjusted the linkage and all was good again.

gear box issues - n1ibor - 28:th-Jun-2014

n1ibor Wrote:went to the garage and they told me it shifted normal
it still shifts tough sometimer from 1st to second.
i'm going to buy the extra 3 years waranty for the car

gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 28:th-Jun-2014

cornishtaz Wrote:I had an issue today was doing a journey to Northampton and about 1/2 way(35 miles) I couldn't select 1st or the 2nd. This was the first run after doing the gear linkage adjustment. When I got to where I was going I readjusted the linkage and all was good again.

Funny you should say that mate I did another adjustment on mine so 3 in total and the gear change started giving me issues again 1-2 2-3, I think the magic number here is 2 adjustments.

gear box issues - cornishtaz - 28:th-Jun-2014

Well I've driven around swindon today lots of 1st/2nd gear changes with no issues.

RE: gear box issues - Kris - 4:th-Jan-2016

This may seem a bit weird and i don't know if its a problem with me or not, but every morning since I've had my car, when i put it into reverse to get out of my drive it grinds. you know like when you don't push the clutch down far enough, that kinda thing.

Now this morning i told myself ill push the clutch all the way down to make sure and it STILL happened. after than initial time it doesn't happen ever again until the next morning.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

RE: gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Jan-2016

No, try pumping the clutch pedal a few times tomorrow morning and see if happens again.

gear box issues - Nemo - 4:th-Jan-2016

Just you mate, I sometimes get a grind from 2nd to 3rd but that's me being a d**k and not pushing the clutch all the way down when accelerating fast

RE: gear box issues - Kris - 7:th-Jan-2016

This is still happening. And its always the reverse gear.

I just been out to the car, started it put it in 1st instead of revers and fine and then kept my foot on the same place on the clutch put it into reverse and the same noise again.

Pull it out and put it back in and it's fine then and this is without moving my foot once. All day then it will slip in and out no problem. It's just every morning since I had it.

The cars in on Tuesday for a line going down my navi 950 screen anyway so I'll mention it then lol...

gear box issues - Tonto - 7:th-Jan-2016

Silly question but are you letting car warm up properly or just starting and driving?

RE: gear box issues - Kris - 8:th-Jan-2016

I just start and drive off mate I never sit there letting a car warm up lol

gear box issues - Tonto - 8:th-Jan-2016

Really?? Can't tell if serious or joking. Try letting the car warm up for 5-10 minutes and see if that helps. My gears are a little notchy in 1st and 2nd when cold but fine once warmed up! (F40 gearbox)

gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 8:th-Jan-2016

Always let a car tick over before driving this gives the oil chance to get round the engine. And if you have s turbo let it tick over after a long run or hard run so the turbo cools

RE: gear box issues - bhalay207 - 8:th-Jan-2016

Must admit, I'm guilty of starting it and pulling off straight away. Especially when I'm leaving the house at half 5 in the morning

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

RE: gear box issues - Kris - 11:th-Jan-2016

I've never done that to ANY car. I just get in and go and when I finish I turn the car off and go wherever I'm going. And I've never seen ANYONE jump in their car, start it and sit there for 10 minutes.

Even when you go for a test drive, do you ever hear them say - let the car warm up first let's sit here for 10 mins lol?

Never heard of it lol.

gear box issues - Tonto - 11:th-Jan-2016

Really?? I've heard quite a few people do it, and are you surprised a dealers doesn't know to let car warm through?

RE: gear box issues - sheppy1 - 11:th-Jan-2016

How do I find out what gear box I have? I don't have ANY issues at all *touch wood* and never have..

gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Jan-2016

@sheppy1 you have the 1.7 so the M32 chocolate box

Chocolate box? Hahaha. So I've got lucky then eh? I've always thought the gear box was rock solid on mine... Clicked nicely into every gear without issue and without grinding or anything [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Must have a good one then mate, there's a lot of people complained about the m32 boxes hence the 'chocolate box' comments hehe.

Haha fingers crossed it doesn't go belly up on me then! SOMETIMES I do have to try 2 or 3 times to get it into reverse but this isn't often

Just when cold?? Recently getting 1st or reverse first thing on a morning is hard but fine once warmed up!

RE: gear box issues - sheppy1 - 12:th-Jan-2016

Hmmm can't say I remember the times its occurred tbh! Sometimes when I've not been in the car for a while but not necessarily when cold... Also doesn't happen every time... Odd

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

RE: gear box issues - stigeye - 6:th-Mar-2016

A couple of times now our car has not wanted to go into any gear when at the lights when in start stop mode, only had the car just over a week so will probably take it into our local garage and have it checked just in case. If they come up with anything then it can go into Evans H and they can sort it.

RE: gear box issues - hejhopp123 - 12:th-Mar-2016

Careful caress the gearbox.. was passenger once and the driver had problems and the linkage too. Not one happy drive.
Me myself only had problems when fast shifting is nessecary, seems like the linkage is not fast enough, other cars I drive do not have wire but rod. Diffrent.

RE: gear box issues - adamvilla - 29:th-Mar-2016

Im picking up my 2011 astra 2.0cdti sri saturday just wondering if anyone had any problems with the auto box AF40 gearbox? Mines done 25k miles

RE: gear box issues - lowrider - 13:th-May-2016

My wife's GTC 1.6T has the dreaded M32 box, and the bearings began making a 'slight' whine noise (Kindly...ahem... picked up by the dealers during a service), the car has only done 32k. Took it to a dealers to have it looked at, under my extended warranty, and they have actually replaced bearings in the box, rather than send it away for a reconditioning... apparently, according to the dealer, Vauxhall are aware of the issue, and have 'just' released a tool that's available to dealers now, which allows them to extract the bearings on-site.

In other words, and of course in my opinion only... "There's a way we can fix these boxes instead of paying someone else to do it".

There is no whining at the moment, but it's of course early days... but I do suspect it's not a great job, as 3rd and 6th I think, are sometimes difficult to select. I saw a how-to on doing an adjustment to this somewhere, may well give this a try myself, otherwise it'll be going back again.

RE: gear box issues - matthew11 - 7:th-Jun-2016

My 2011 2.0cdti has atarted making a bit of a whine mostly higher up the gears but im also able to select 3rd and fourth wothout dipping the clutch and it also pops out of 3rd and 4th of i push it slightly .

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

RE: gear box issues - raimon - 7:th-Jun-2016

Guys it is worth changing your gearbox oil to the premium stuff.

Some interesting info here worth knowing
http://www.wgmotorworks.co.uk/repairs/transmission/m32-gearbox/
http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/gearbox-rebuilds/info_227.html

RE: gear box issues - tucpal - 7:th-Jun-2016

Hopefully it will be the rubber mounts on the gear linkage but guessing it will need looking at for sure.

RE: gear box issues - matthew11 - 7:th-Jun-2016

(7:th-Jun-2016, 11:57:28)tucpal Wrote: Hopefully it will be the rubber mounts on the gear linkage but guessing it will need looking at for sure.
Yea its going back to the dealer i had it from on the weekend hes going to get it sorted what ever it maybe.Its still under warranty with them.just a 3 hour round trip.but he is giving me another car till mine is fixed so happy with that

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

RE: gear box issues - tucpal - 7:th-Jun-2016

cool warranty's have there uses lets hope they get it done

RE: gear box issues - chudy85 - 7:th-Jun-2016

I had problem with gearbox in my Astra J 2.0 CDTI SRI. I have F40 gearbox. I had trouble with shift up or down to 2nd gear. I went to dealer service and they made investigation. They found some problems with synchromesh and get new gearbox. So far it's everything ok.

RE: gear box issues - DaPa - 22:nd-Apr-2017

I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle 2014 plate that has the AF40 Box fitted.

Does anybody know if the issues with coolant ingression they suffered with in the Astra H and Vectra C have been modified to prevent the problem or does it still exist?

RE: gear box issues - shabba - 23:rd-Nov-2017

2.0 cdti August 2014 Astra Elite AF40 gearbox, which i had read on a bulletin that all issues had been fixed from Jan 2014. So in saying that anyone else ever get a clunk when selecting first gear?

RE: gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 25:th-Nov-2017

Not a cluck but difficult to select when cold

RE: gear box issues - shabba - 26:th-Nov-2017

Yea got that too. 1st to 2nd though not upto 3rd surprisingly.

RE: gear box issues - Rusty2009 - 28:th-Nov-2017

Yep exact same.

Although yesterday the gear stick became very stiff to move left to right and the vibrations coming through it where crazy