Switch to desktop version  
Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? (/showthread.php?tid=4928)

Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? - UseThe4s - 13:th-Apr-2021

Hello guys,

searching a lot I was not able to find if the Z16LET - 1.6 turbo, 132 kW petrol engine is a direct or an indirect port engine. I suppose that this 180 HP engine that was used in the 2nd gen of Astras H an then in Astras J is an indirect port petrol engine. And I suppose the 200 HP 1.6 turbo petrol engine that came later is already a direct port engine. Can anyone please confirm or specify this? Thank you.

RE: Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? - foxydimsi - 17:th-Apr-2021

(13:th-Apr-2021, 09:21:23)UseThe4s Wrote: Hello guys,

searching a lot I was not able to find if the Z16LET - 1.6 turbo, 132 kW petrol engine is a direct or an indirect port engine. I suppose that this 180 HP engine that was used in the 2nd gen of Astras H an then in Astras J is an indirect port petrol engine. And I suppose the 200 HP 1.6 turbo petrol engine that came later is already a direct port engine. Can anyone please confirm or specify this? Thank you.

Hello the engine you are talking about is with multi-point indirect injection. This is the old gen 1.6 turbo engines. The new one putted in J facelift(2013-2015) is called 1.6 turbo SIDI(A16 XHT) with 170 hp and direct injection. The same engine later putted into K with 200 hp is again 1.6 turbo SIDI(A16 SHT) technology, but I believe kinda remapped, no bigger turbo. Also the engine you are talking about(Z16LET) has problem with the 4th cylinder, they tend to crack the cylinder head so I would avoid it. This same engine is also putted in 1st gen Corsa OPC/VXR there is 192 hp and most of the owners have problems with it. Sorry for my English. I hope I helped.

RE: Please advise - Z16LET engine (1.6 turbo, 132 kW) - is it a direct or indirect port? - UseThe4s - 18:th-Apr-2021

(17:th-Apr-2021, 17:20:59)foxydimsi Wrote: Hello the engine you are talking about is with multi-point indirect injection. This is the old gen 1.6 turbo engines. The new one putted in J facelift(2013-2015) is called 1.6 turbo SIDI(A16 XHT) with 170 hp and direct injection. The same engine later putted into K with 200 hp is again 1.6 turbo SIDI(A16 SHT) technology, but I believe kinda remapped, no bigger turbo. Also the engine you are talking about(Z16LET) has problem with the 4th cylinder, they tend to crack the cylinder head so I would avoid it. This same engine is also putted in 1st gen Corsa OPC/VXR there is 192 hp and most of the owners have problems with it. Sorry for my English. I hope I helped.

Hello, thank you for your your answer. Well, I do have a 2014 Astra GTC with exactly this engine so not sure about the 2013-2015 facelift you are writing about, maybe it was one of the last pieces with this engine. Anyway, I am pretty glad to have this indirect injection engine, as I am aware the direct injection engines tend to suffer from intake valve carbonisation more. Hopefully if the engine has a good care and is not put a lot of stress on it then it should last I guess and not suffer from the 4th cylinder problem.