Switch to desktop version  
Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? (/showthread.php?tid=4713)

Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Macauleyh96 - 2:nd-Aug-2020

Hi,

I bought my 2013 Gtc 2.0l about a month ago. Absolutely love it but the previous owner must of fit what I thought was an aftermarket satnav/touchscreen unit but apparently it’s from an insignia? The touchscreen works fine and the satnav does too and SOME of the speakers work... but the center console buttons don’t work, not a single one of them do anything? The only way I can control the volume is on the steering wheel buttons (which all work fine) the speakers in the doors don’t work and maybe a few More? And also the Bluetooth will not connect? Also the screen shows the time wrong, the temperature wrong and the radio station wrong?

Is this an upgrade that will actually work? Has the work been done wrong, is it something as simple as something not being plugged in right? Or am I best off buying the standard unit and fitting that? I’d love to keep the touchscreen and satnav in it if I can get the rest working?

Any help would be appreciated!’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Big Dave2 - 3:rd-Aug-2020

That looks like the exact same system I have in my Astra.

Mine was fitted by a company in Droitwich, called Car Vision. I think they were also called DriveAudio. Unfortunately no longer trading.

Basically it's a Windows CE platform, and I believe Car Vision made some software tweaks.

One of the 2 holes on the left of the bezzle should have the word "reset" besides it. I've never had to use them myself, but I think it does what it suggests. It resets the unit. Basically a CTRL/ALT/DEL operation and reboots Windows CE.

One of the people in charge of Car Vision was called John Pedlow. His You-Tube channel is still alive, not sure if you would be able to contact him via that to see if he can help you?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw8PjuLOriTQBMAbvCFzDAA

https://youtu.be/bF256Gvv8EM

I think the original unit is a RoadRover C7036BE with some tweaks made by Car Vision. But could be wrong.

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Rusty2009 - 3:rd-Aug-2020

Carvison or drive audio made no tweaks to it at all, it certainly was an insignia unit (the screen is different)

I would honestly look at the control panel, does it light up?

Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Macauleyh96 - 3:rd-Aug-2020

Hi, I’ve tried that reset button and it makes no difference!!

And nothing lights up on the control unit, just the eco and traction control button?

(3:rd-Aug-2020, 21:23:41)Rusty2009 Wrote: Carvison or drive audio made no tweaks to it at all, it certainly was an insignia unit (the screen is different)

I would honestly look at the control panel, does it light up?

Nothing lights up on it no

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Aug-2020

Sounds more like the panel is faulty to me then or been left unplugged.

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Big Dave2 - 4:th-Aug-2020

As Rusty suggests. Could be a poor connection at the rear of the stereo.

The original screen gets hidden in the dashboard and is mirrored onto the upper half of the new screen unit.

Remove the trim and take out the stereo to see if all the multiplugs are connected together properly.

I'm sure there is a how2 for this. I did have a quick look, but couldn't put my hand to it.

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Rusty2009 - 5:th-Aug-2020

Not all of them use the original screen some do some don't.

Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Macauleyh96 - 5:th-Aug-2020

(4:th-Aug-2020, 07:43:45)Rusty2009 Wrote: Sounds more like the panel is faulty to me then or been left unplugged.

What would you suggest taking the panel out and checking everything is connected properly?

(4:th-Aug-2020, 11:52:04)Big Dave2 Wrote: As Rusty suggests. Could be a poor connection at the rear of the stereo.

The original screen gets hidden in the dashboard and is mirrored onto the upper half of the new screen unit.

Remove the trim and take out the stereo to see if all the multiplugs are connected together properly.

I'm sure there is a how2 for this. I did have a quick look, but couldn't put my hand to it.

Brilliant thanks I’ll give that a go

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Rusty2009 - 5:th-Aug-2020

(5:th-Aug-2020, 08:03:35)Macauleyh96 Wrote:
(4:th-Aug-2020, 07:43:45)Rusty2009 Wrote: Sounds more like the panel is faulty to me then or been left unplugged.

What would you suggest taking the panel out and checking everything is connected properly?

(4:th-Aug-2020, 11:52:04)Big Dave2 Wrote: As Rusty suggests. Could be a poor connection at the rear of the stereo.

Brilliant thanks I’ll give that a go

Yes if everything is connected and still not working I would try a new panel, I have loads here just cover the postage if you need one.

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - Big Dave2 - 5:th-Aug-2020

(5:th-Aug-2020, 07:18:00)Rusty2009 Wrote: Not all of them use the original screen some do some don't.

The Op's one should do, as it's the same system as mine.

RE: Sat nav unit, from insignia? Not fully working? - DNT - 18:th-Aug-2020

Do you have the fin antenna on the roof?