Switch to desktop version  
Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Technical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Electrical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , (/showthread.php?tid=4685)

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 29:th-Jun-2020

Hi guys I got 2015 Astra GTC 2.0 ,
I have upgraded my radio to android head unit , originally I had cd400 plus with dab and usb ,
I know would like to use my existing shark fin antenna to plug in the dab in to my headunit ,when I took my old cd400 unit I didn't find any Dab connector there or anything there was is standard FM antenna ? I have searched the forums and found that there should be a seperate box for the dab and usb unit ,could any one confirm they actually exist and where about are they located ?

Thanks

Wysłane z mojego SM-N976B przy użyciu Tapatalka

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - niteram - 29:th-Jun-2020

the dab unit is located to the right of the steering column (on a UK car)
If i remember correctly there is a little drop down coin tray that you can remove to see the dab unit.

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Jun-2020

Your shark-fin isn't DAB it's just a dummy.

You DAB aerial will run from the window, but yes you can use it for you DAB on aftermarket radios.

Most aftermarket radios have an MALE SMB for DAB some are screw type some are just push on link to one (you would have to check the connection on the radio side).
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RG174-Fakra-Z-Male-to-SMB-Plug-Right-Angle-Coaxial-Pigtail-Cable-1m-All-Test/333511346706?hash=item4da6d34a12:g:U2cAAOSwDlda4C4G

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 30:th-Jun-2020

Thanks guys for your help I have managed to find all the bits I need yeasterday already ,should be here tomorrow ,
Hopefully if all works good

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 2:nd-Jul-2020

Do you guys know which one of them its the dab connector from rear window ?

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Rusty2009 - 3:rd-Jul-2020

Be the blue one.

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 3:rd-Jul-2020

I tried both and strangely when I stand still signal it's really good but when I start driving it keeps braking and it's basically unusable I was really hoping I will not have to upgrade my antenna ...

(3:rd-Jul-2020, 12:38:53)pawex Wrote: I tried both and strangely when I stand still signal it's really good but when I start driving it keeps braking and it's basically unusable I was really hoping I will not have to upgrade my antenna ...

I always go from the point of DAB module, never had a customer complain, even used the cheap windscreen stick on one and fix it passenger side without any issues when I do DAB retrofits.

Thanks rusty for all your help , could you please tell me where did you plug then ? Any pics of anything ?
Would really appreciate that
Bellow picture where I plugged

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Graeme1978 - 3:rd-Jul-2020

Sorry to partially hijack your thread but my question on the exact same topic. I'm about to purchase a Sony AX3005DB, the connections for which are shown on the following image...

https://www.compare360.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/723605c.jpeg

Would I be correct in thinking that I can take the DAB aerial connection out of the existing DAB module, and then connect it via some kind of Fakra to SMB adapter into the DAB aerial connection shown hanging out of the back of the Sony? If that is correct, could somebody kindly give me a pointer on the adapter required, and the location of the DAB module on a Zaf Tourer? Thanks so much

(3:rd-Jul-2020, 12:58:45)pawex Wrote: Thanks rusty for all your help , could you please tell me where did you plug then ? Any pics of anything ?
Would really appreciate that
Bellow picture where I plugged

The factory DAB module sits up on the main bar up behind the headlight switch, (remove the pocket under the headlight switch for better view). take the aerial off the DAB module and connect to that Fakra.

(3:rd-Jul-2020, 14:53:11)Graeme1978 Wrote: Sorry to partially hijack your thread but my question on the exact same topic. I'm about to purchase a Sony AX3005DB, the connections for which are shown on the following image...

https://www.compare360.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/723605c.jpeg

Would I be correct in thinking that I can take the DAB aerial connection out of the existing DAB module, and then connect it via some kind of Fakra to SMB adapter into the DAB aerial connection shown hanging out of the back of the Sony? If that is correct, could somebody kindly give me a pointer on the adapter required, and the location of the DAB module on a Zaf Tourer? Thanks so much

Yes this cable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RG174-Fakra-Z-Male-to-SMB-Plug-Right-Angle-Coaxial-Pigtail-Cable-1m-All-Test/333511346706?hash=item4da6d34a12:g:U2cAAOSwDlda4C4G

Rusty when I unplug the cable from the dab module it was a connector like this ? But you mean there is annother fakra connector yeah ?

Strange as I get good signal when in standing still soon as I start moving it's dropping the way down

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Jul-2020

I'm on about the fakra connection on the DAB module.

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 6:th-Jul-2020

I have tried that and nothing helps it's really strange issue I got there as it doesent matter where I I get full signal on most stations if standing still soon as I start driving it drops all the way down ... Any idea what it could be ?

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Rusty2009 - 9:th-Jul-2020

Did the factory DAB work ok?

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 13:th-Jul-2020

Hi yes it worked spot on I travel from Peterborough to Southampton , there were some roads clousers etc , so I had to go through small villages etc and literally been spot on all the time never dropped a signal at all , is it possible that the dab antenna it's also amplified when it goes through the dab box ? You said you connected by the dab box ?this is where I plugged ,directly by the box I only found the green connector ,I'm pretty sure it's got to be something with the wiring as it worked really well on cd400.

RE: Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Jul-2020

Out of them 2 the black is AM/AM blue is DAB.

I used the green plug off the dab module in your 2nd pic.

Yes the DAB module does apply some power to amplify it, but most aftermarket DAB units to also sometimes there is a setting.

Using existing dab aerial on android unit , - pawex - 15:th-Jul-2020

Thanks Rusty thats good to know I try pluging it directly off the dab module and see if that helps at all also I don't seen that option in my android headunit .