Switch to desktop version  
Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Common Problems (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Water leak in boot, spare wheel (/showthread.php?tid=4577)

Water leak in boot, spare wheel - karl100100 - 10:th-Mar-2020

Hi

My Astra has a leak in the boot, where the spare wheel is. The boot itself is dry. But there is damp on the back seat and the passenger footwellis wet.

I have just taken it to my local Vauxhall Dealer, they did tests all day, could not find out where the leak was. They said they would need to take out the carpet, seats and take off the bumper to find out more. Would be 6 hours labour. Im picking the car up tomorrow. It would cost over £400 before any parts.

Any ideas?  Thanks

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Jpbroad1970 - 10:th-Mar-2020

There are lots of threads on here for this issue, different people have had different results from doing different things. I have a post on here about it and I cured my issue. I'll try and find my post. You will get lots of different ideas and it will be trial and error but mine cured all the wet in the boot and consideration issues.

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-mis...1#pid47421

If you click on the link it should take you there.

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Adi - 14:th-Mar-2020

My drivers A pilar is wet and it looks like the sealant has cracked under the roof rail, I planned to sort it today but typically the rain started just as I did.

No way would I be taking my car to a dealer to put some tiger seal on it, like already said trial and error. Start at the top and work your way down.

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - niteram - 15:th-Mar-2020

That does look like a crack in the sealant, it doesn't need a very big gap for water to get in through
as for the rear it could be anything, tailgate seal, lights, wiring grommets, air vents etc etc

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - caretaker - 10:th-Jul-2020

I get water in the boot, I was washing my car , I noticed the inside the boot right hand side , behind the driver side there was wetness and I did notice previously the boot used to get wet, as my cloth and bag which was under the spare Tyre used to be damp. But I shrugged it off to being condensation. But when I washed the car I realised I am getting water into the boot,,but very minimal, as there was no puddle, but the fabric was damp.
it must be very minute leak and it would take time to get puddle of water.
i have taken everything out and just to keep an eye out and investigate where the water is coming from.
i checked the aerial the following day , looked dry, as it was sunny weather.
I have checked from roof rails, aerial, boot seal, rear light, upper brake light, wiper, boot gaiter, under the roof lining and i removed the boot seal right hand side only and resealed it again, as I checked and it all looks all good. I did bucket water test check and could not find the leak.

i am now just waiting for rainfall to find out where it is getting wet, so it may take some to find out, as I have my boot completely empty for now until further investigation.

i did find water in the boot after few days on the right hand side ,when we had the rain and heavy rain, but i am still keeping an eye out and i have stuff paper to see if any of the paper gets.

I will keep you update and it is weird/Strange where the water comes into the boot and i can not find the trail of the water marks.

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - niteram - 10:th-Jul-2020

a friend of mine had water coming in through the seals on the rear lamp fixingss

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - irishastraowner - 23:rd-Jan-2021

(10:th-Mar-2020, 20:00:16)karl100100 Wrote: Hi

My Astra has a leak in the boot, where the spare wheel is. The boot itself is dry. But there is damp on the back seat and the passenger footwellis wet.

I have just taken it to my local Vauxhall Dealer, they did tests all day, could not find out where the leak was. They said they would need to take out the carpet, seats and take off the bumper to find out more. Would be 6 hours labour. Im picking the car up tomorrow. It would cost over £400 before any parts.

Any ideas?  Thanks

I had a water leak in the boot as well. I just had to drill a hole in the 2 grommets in the spare wheel-well to allow the pond, that had formed, to drain. This was 2 months ago.

However I notice that the driver foot-well and the foot-well behind the driver are both soaked. When I access the little compartment where the VIN number is, in the driver foot-well, there is alot of water there.

Surely the water is NOT making its way from the spare wheel foot-well to the backseat footwell(behind the driver) or the driver foot-well???

Any ideas how to dry out the foot-wells in the car??

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Jpbroad1970 - 23:rd-Jan-2021

It's carpets out , that's how I had to do mine. It won't be coming from the boot no, I would also be saying drilling holes isn't the right way to do it , you need to find the source or sources of your leaks. The sponge under the carpet soaks up a lot of water.

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - irishastraowner - 23:rd-Jan-2021

Yes I also didn't want to drill a hole in the rubber grommets but I will get new one once source(s) are found. I feared removing the carpets was the only correct way to dry out the well. Yes the rubber sponge under the foot-well carpet is v absorbent.

Any ideas as to where to start with regard finding the leak?

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Jpbroad1970 - 23:rd-Jan-2021

I would try roof gutters for cracked seam sealer, poorly fitted windscreen. For the rear the 2 top grommets near tailgate hinges is very common, you can tell if its these as if you just drop headlining at rear you can see staining on it where it drips through. There are also some grommets on the outside at bumper level. I removed bumper and sealed all grommets on mine...belt and braces.

How old is your car as early ones are more prone than later ones

I folded carpet back and cut the sponge out drying it on radiator then.

Check the last post here, I posted couple of pics

https://www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-misting-up-windows?pid=54152#pid54152

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - irishastraowner - 24:th-Jan-2021

The car is a 2012. Has also been misting on the inside but in last month is it definitely worse.

This is the first time the driver foot-well has been wet like this.

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - irishastraowner - 27:th-Jan-2021

(23:rd-Jan-2021, 18:20:28)Jpbroad1970 Wrote: It's carpets out , that's how I had to do mine. It won't be coming from the boot no, I would also be saying drilling holes isn't the right way to do it , you need to find the source or sources of your leaks. The sponge under the carpet soaks up a lot of water.

anyone have a link to a step by step video of how to remove the carpets on an astra J (2012 reg in Ireland). Its only the driver side of the car so is there a way to just partially lift it? I believe it may be coming from the driver foot-well but not in as far as the pedals. Anyone share any insight / info /suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

RE: Water leak in boot, spare wheel - Big Dave2 - 27:th-Jan-2021

Check the scuttle area and drain is clear of leaves and other debris.