Switch to desktop version  
diesel question - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: diesel question (/showthread.php?tid=4564)

diesel question - niteram - 28:th-Feb-2020

I've just aquired a facelift sport tourer with the 1.7cdti engine and 6 speed box, with ecoflex and s/s
question - what is this combination like? economy and reliability etc?
It's the first modernish diesel I've owned
any comments gratefully received

RE: diesel question - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Mar-2020

I like the 1.7cdti lump in the Mokka IIRC it's the same engine used in the J, but it's a different box.

Overall in the Mokka works well, as with any car it depends how its driven etc as to economy and what weight your carrying.

It's a good strong engine pulls really well.

RE: diesel question - niteram - 1:st-Mar-2020

thanks for that, I've a bit of work to do on it before I can drive it
but well worth it (I think)

RE: diesel question - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Mar-2020

Progress pics.

RE: diesel question - niteram - 1:st-Mar-2020

no progress yet, mainly 'cos it hasn't been delivered yet
I do know it's a techline and is fitted with a navi600, but until it arrives who knows?

RE: diesel question - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Mar-2020

(1:st-Mar-2020, 22:40:57)niteram Wrote: no progress yet, mainly 'cos it hasn't been delivered yet
I do know it's a techline and is fitted with a navi600, but until it arrives who knows?

Fingers crossed copart car I'm guessing?

RE: diesel question - niteram - 2:nd-Mar-2020

yes - how did you guess! https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/30216770/
the delivery driver I use dropped it off at 5.40 this morning, better than last time which was 2.30am, but they do a good job at a decent price.
car has navi600, Dab and bluetooth, all 4 tyres look new, I've only driven it 50yards, need to sort out the lights etc etc first.
I've had a pair of lights arrive today and a rear bumper should be here later in the week, then just a bit of panel beating and painting.
sounds easy doesn't it!

diesel question - Multiskilled - 5:th-Mar-2020

I've got an Astra j tech line 1.7cdti with s/s. As Rusty says it's really nice to drive, smooth under acceleration and has reasonable power especially on long motorway trips. Easy to drive around town, I tend to keep it in 3rd gear which helps with the slow down / speed up of urban traffic flow.

Fuel consumption is very good, I get about 60~ 63mpg if I'm doing a lot of motorway journeys and 45~50mpg if mainly urban. Though I do drive with fuel consumption in mind having said that I will travel at speed limit if possible.

There is plenty of features on the tech line and you can do a software upgrade on the nav 600 to nav 900, there is a how to on this site. I haven't done it but plenty others have, the only real advantage I can see is to the satnav, 3d maps and the ability to update to newer maps. I use Tom Tom go on my phone so can't see the need. On mine you can't stream your music via Bluetooth but there is USB and an aux input to cater for that.

Can I ask has your car got led drl's as mine has and wondering if they were part of the trim or whether the original owner specced them as an add on.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your new car as much as I enjoy mine.

Cheers Ken.

Sent from my BV6800Pro using Tapatalk

RE: diesel question - niteram - 5:th-Mar-2020

Hi, thanks for the input.
it has normal drl's
according to the dash display the previous owner was getting fuel consumption in the mid 50s
I've only driven it down to the garage for some fuel, then on to Lidl for a few bits n pieces, and also averaged mid 50s which is much better than my 1.6 petrol auto (mid/high 20s) and it's only £33 to tax (£260 for the petrol) who said diesels are bad?
If I keep this one I could save at least £1000 year, I've just to hope that HID likes driving it!

diesel question - Multiskilled - 7:th-Mar-2020

You must have a higher emission engine than mine (99 g/k) so it's £0 tax for me. My previous car was £260 a 1.8 petrol. Its nice not to get the credit card out when I re tax every year.

Cheers Ken.

RE: diesel question - niteram - 7:th-Mar-2020

yeah. its 114g/km if I remember rightly

RE: diesel question - niteram - 14:th-Mar-2020

does anyone know when the timing belt should be changed on these engines?
is it 100,000 miles / 6years?

diesel question - Multiskilled - 14:th-Mar-2020

I think they reduced it to 60,000 miles or 6 years just had mine changed, though it had done nearly 80,000 miles but had reached the 6 year mark.

Some one else may know better on the mileage limit.

Cheers Ken.

RE: diesel question - Rusty2009 - 29:th-Mar-2020

As far as I know it's 100k or 6yrs whichever comes first.