Switch to desktop version  
White Smelly Smoke - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: White Smelly Smoke (/showthread.php?tid=4540)

White Smelly Smoke - RadicalRooster - 22:nd-Jan-2020

Hi all,

Last week while it was raining a lot of steam was coming up from the radiator, so I took it back to the independent I bought it from as it's still under warranty.

They said they couldn't find anything wrong, they did a 2 hour compression test and all came back fine. No coolant loss. And it's not let out steam since.

However a new problem has arose...

When the engine is warm, I get a lot of white smoke out the back that smells awful, a bit like burnt rubber or perhaps coolant.

What could this be? Googling suggests a head gasket, but it wasn't doing this before the compression test and its not overheating or losing oil/coolant.

EDIT: Astra J 1.6 petrol manual SRI

RE: White Smelly Smoke - everson38 - 22:nd-Jan-2020

(22:nd-Jan-2020, 12:09:10)RadicalRooster Wrote: Hi all,

Last week while it was raining a lot of steam was coming up from the radiator, so I took it back to the independent I bought it from as it's still under warranty.

They said they couldn't find anything wrong, they did a 2 hour compression test and all came back fine. No coolant loss. And it's not let out steam since.

However a new problem has arose...

When the engine is warm, I get a lot of white smoke out the back that smells awful, a bit like burnt rubber or perhaps coolant.

What could this be? Googling suggests a head gasket, but it wasn't doing this before the compression test and its not overheating or losing oil/coolant.

EDIT: Astra J 1.6 petrol manual SRI
Hey man sorry to hear your having issues. What woukd be great if you could upload a video of it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: White Smelly Smoke - RadicalRooster - 22:nd-Jan-2020

Thanks for your reply, I'll try and get a video for you if it's still light enough.

I've just checked under the oil cap and there's no mayo.

Expansion tank has some residue but it's definitely not lost any fluid.

RE: White Smelly Smoke - everson38 - 22:nd-Jan-2020

(22:nd-Jan-2020, 14:35:27)RadicalRooster Wrote: Thanks for your reply, I'll try and get a video for you if it's still light enough.

Great. Yes this is an unusual one as signs point to.head but everyth8ng else checks out. Lets work from try9ng to see this first.

RE: White Smelly Smoke - RadicalRooster - 23:rd-Jan-2020

(22:nd-Jan-2020, 15:32:48)everson38 Wrote:
(22:nd-Jan-2020, 14:35:27)RadicalRooster Wrote: Thanks for your reply, I'll try and get a video for you if it's still light enough.

Great. Yes this is an unusual one as signs point to.head but everyth8ng else checks out. Lets work from try9ng to see this first.

I haven't been able to get a video as the smoke has actually stopped (fingers crossed).

There is still a burning coolant smell however.

Still no drop in coolant levels.

Any ideas?!

RE: White Smelly Smoke - everson38 - 23:rd-Jan-2020

(23:rd-Jan-2020, 09:46:37)RadicalRooster Wrote:

I haven't been able to get a video as the smoke has actually stopped (fingers crossed).

Any ideas?!
Well hopefully the smoke may have been some oil that got spilt ot something hard to determine as ur issue is alittle odd in terms of signs showing and result. I would jack.up.the car and get a look underneath amd be sure nothing is leaking u may have a.very minor one and it may only show as car is running bit i would try look from underneath and habe the car run up to temp

RE: White Smelly Smoke - everson38 - 14:th-Feb-2020

(23:rd-Jan-2020, 09:46:37)RadicalRooster Wrote:

Any ideas?!
Hey pal, how did you get on in the end anymore to report?

RE: White Smelly Smoke - RadicalRooster - 15:th-Feb-2020

I don’t want to jinx it, but so far so good, the white smoke and smell has gone away after a few hundred miles.

No idea what it was, but I’m looking at other non-related problems now!