Switch to desktop version  
CV joint? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: CV joint? (/showthread.php?tid=4525)

CV joint? - umognog - 23:rd-Dec-2019

Evening guys and dolls.

Going to get the J in the garage asap but with the time of year... It will be a couple of days.

So randomly, it starting knocking from the offside drive wheel tonight. When I say knock, this is like someone with a little hammer hitting at a regular interval, not a tick or a click.

It is into happening when it's in gear and under load accelerating.

I'm thinking drive shaft/CV combo?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

CV joint? - umognog - 23:rd-Dec-2019

Update; sound continues to exist when going downhill, in gear with engine braking.

The only time it doesn't exist is when I'm light on the peddle/neutral gear.

No noise when revving in neutral, it definitely requires motion.

RE: CV joint? - andyp - 24:th-Dec-2019

(23:rd-Dec-2019, 22:04:49)umognog Wrote: Update; sound continues to exist when going downhill, in gear with engine braking.

The only time it doesn't exist is when I'm light on the peddle/neutral gear.

No noise when revving in neutral, it definitely requires motion.

Hi do's the noise stop with light pressure on the brake pedal ? if it do's not rules out wheel bearings something trapped between pads and disc

CV joint? - umognog - 24:th-Dec-2019

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm not hearing it on peddle braking, only on acceleration/engine braking.

I did wonder about the bearing, but if I pop into neutral downhill, there is no noise when gaining speed/braking.

Would this be possible with a bearing?

My usual can't see the car today as away home for the holidays, but getting it seen end of the week. Bloody PITA, but I have a 5 day weekend start of Jan, so I guess I'll be replacing one or the other if I can get a delivery in time.

CV joint? - umognog - 9:th-Jan-2020

@Rusty2009 can you advise of the gear box oil?

Going for a offside driveshaft replacement, the garage has taken forever. On the plus side, my labour savings is paying for an engine oil change at the same time

2.0cdti 165bhp, I believe 2.4L 75W90 but want to verify, finding a lot of CRX/EE on the Millers nanodrive and not sure what the heck I'm needing to pick up.

That moment you realised you quoted the engine for gearbox oil!

F40

RE: CV joint? - Rusty2009 - 9:th-Jan-2020

(9:th-Jan-2020, 13:03:12)umognog Wrote: @Rusty2009 can you advise of the gear box oil?

Going for a offside driveshaft replacement, the garage has taken forever. On the plus side, my labour savings is paying for an engine oil change at the same time

2.0cdti 165bhp, I believe 2.4L 75W90 but want to verify, finding a lot of CRX/EE on the Millers nanodrive and not sure what the heck I'm needing to pick up.

That moment you realised you quoted the engine for gearbox oil!

F40

TAG me again tomorrow morning & I'll double check for you, just sat down after a long day.

CV joint? - umognog - 9:th-Jan-2020

Thanks Rusty, I know how that can feel!

CV joint? - umognog - 10:th-Jan-2020

Totally meant to ping @Rusty2009 much earlier today, but forgot until now!

RE: CV joint? - Rusty2009 - 12:th-Jan-2020

(10:th-Jan-2020, 18:03:00)umognog Wrote: Totally meant to ping @Rusty2009 much earlier today, but forgot until now!

Sorry for slow reply, the part number is 93165694 I can't find out the spec as my bottle is missing the back info booklet.

CV joint? - umognog - 12:th-Jan-2020

No problems Rusty.

Got the offside done today, which has the mid shaft from the transmission so didn't require drainage yet.

Will get the nearside done soon and so getting parts over time, will need the gear oil at the same time.