Switch to desktop version  
The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Members car's progress threads (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka (/showthread.php?tid=4488)

The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 2:nd-Nov-2019

So I bought the wife a Mokka at last.

It is 2013 EXCLUSIV 1.7cdti with AFL.

There was an issue with the AFL lights doing a constant start up which was resolved with a new headlight unit.

The Mrs wanted me to give it the full VXOCElectrabizz treatment.

So I started with an LED conversion & LED interior bulb upgrades along with adding footwell lighting.

Next was to remove the CD400+ and retrofit a Navi950 DAB+ & Rear camera.

Next was to install some better D3S bulbs when swapping the headlight out.

One of the parking sensors needed repainted as the paint had come off along with the primer.

I also fitted a DPF warning LED so the Mrs will be quickly alerted if the car is doing a regen.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 2:nd-Nov-2019

cool mods
those bulbs seem nice and bright
got anything else planned?

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Nuttynat - 2:nd-Nov-2019

(2:nd-Nov-2019, 16:56:11)niteram Wrote: cool mods
those bulbs seem nice and bright
got anything else planned?

Thanks.

The headlight bulbs are great he's even bought & fitted a set into the Astra after seeing how bright they were and well they light the road.
The LED interior bulbs came from CYLED.

TPMS is planned & Going black on the roof linner etc.

Tomorrow while Rusty is taking our back to Harrogate I'm giving it a good wash claying and detailing as it needs it.

Today Rusty has fixed an issue with DAB by running a new aerail cable.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - marktourino - 5:th-Nov-2019

Some decent upgrades on the good lady's car there Rusty, well worth the time & effort

The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - caretaker - 24:th-Dec-2019

Good work , I bet mrs must be really chuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 9:th-Jan-2020

Well the Mokka is being collected tomorrow to go to be looked at some old lady didn't stop coming out of a side road.

Front end damage and rear end damage, we are hoping they will repair but I have a feeling it will be a write off.

The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - caretaker - 9:th-Jan-2020

Shame all this Hardwork you have put in and it will be written off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - marktourino - 9:th-Jan-2020

I hope that it not a write off

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 11:th-Jan-2020

it's not the end of the world if they write it off
you could always buy it back and repair it yourself

have you got any pictures of the damage?

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 12:th-Jan-2020

It depends if they find any structural damage as to if I would buy it back, it also depends what they will pay out on it.

I've got some pics I'll get them uploaded when I get a chance.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Jan-2020

So here we are a video from the dash cam.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 13:th-Jan-2020

It doesn't look too bad to me
wing, bumper, headlight, dirtshield, 2x wheels and tyres and the headlamp mounting panel, plus a couple of side trims.
the difference in the camber on the rear wheels might be within spec, or may be due to a distorted wheel.
the trouble is the cost of the parts will put the repair around the total loss area.
the headlamp is a welded on panel and so the insurance engineer/assessor may decide its a cat S (structural repair)
but good news is that the accident wasn't your fault and so it should be claimed as a 3rd party with your repair being paid for by the other drivers insurance. Usually in this situation the "no fault" insurance company will insist the car is repaired (which means it won't be total loss)
and you'll get it back all nice and (like) new.

I've repaired much much worse.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 13:th-Jan-2020

I've priced on what I can see not inc paint parts roughly £1,500 (mostly all new parts too) apart from wheels as I would get a full set with TPMS.

Mrs want's it fully repaired tbh.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - marktourino - 13:th-Jan-2020

Well hopefully it can be fully repaired as it the good lady pride & joy

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Jan-2020

The car has been assessed and so far they are quoting £5,000 to repair they haven't carried out a geometry test or looked to see any running gear is damaged.

Apparently they need to make the car road worthy before carrying out the geometry test.

Spoke with insurance who are just as confused as I am with this because its standard practice to do a geometry test on car which has had a knock on the wheels etc.

anything over 3rd of value they need to ask the 3rd party insurance if they will are willing to repair.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 16:th-Jan-2020

we would always have to carry out a geometry check BEFORE the repairs as the engineers want to know total cost of repair.
as you say is £5000, they wont want to pay that and THEN findout it needs another £1000 suspension repair

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Jan-2020

Well they have written the car off.

Awaiting assessor to phone me to talk £££'s

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Qaranc - 17:th-Jan-2020

(17:th-Jan-2020, 11:52:14)Rusty2009 Wrote: Well they have written the car off.

Awaiting assessor to phone me to talk £££'s

Hi Rusty 
Sorry to hear about the incident and out come, word of warning with the insurance companies a few years ago my car was wrote off and the amount agreed on was enough to replace the car with the same car and spec etc, I was paying the insurance on a monthly DD like many people do. But when the cash arrived the insurance company they had taken the full amount of the policy leaving the amount of cash available to replace the car very short. what i am saying is don't let the assessors and the insurance company try and con you as they did to me, but if I know you you've got it covered.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Jan-2020

I've spoken with assessor and they will not budge on the price they are offering me I tried arguing the point with them but they will not budge.

I am now going to phone insurance company up because as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for the 3rd party, at the moment I'm looking at being £2,500 ish out of pocket to buy a car same year and spec (yes mileage is little different & I would allow a little difference due to this).

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 17:th-Jan-2020

I'm sorry and surprised to hear they're not repairing it.
keep us updated on the progress.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Jan-2020

(17:th-Jan-2020, 21:36:57)niteram Wrote: I'm sorry and surprised to hear they're not repairing it.
keep us updated on the progress.

The max they would give me was £4,430 wouldn't budge.

I spoke to insurance etc it's tough I have to lose the mokka and have to find any extra money needed to buy another car.

I can't even claim it back as a uninsured loss.

I've had to make a postal application to retain the private reg because at some point in the last 5yrs the car went without TAX for 90 days. The car is not to be moved as DVLA might want to inspect it, so postal application takes up-to 2 weeks and if they want to inspect the car that will take up-to 4 weeks.

The payout system is also odd, we have to wait for the 3rd insurer to agree to the figure and then pay the claim management company, then we will get a 2nd cheque from the salvage company, for they are paying for the car.

But here's the catch, if the insurer payout I lose the hire car within 7 days, even if I don't get the cheque from the salvage.

It's all total madness, it was far simpler when the Mrs wrote her pug off and was at fault.

I've been having a look got my eyes on a couple of cars but I can't move on them until the payout comes in.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 18:th-Jan-2020

I'll bet the DVLA let you put the private number on without any fuss - they have some odd rules
yeah its not unusual for the insurers to stop car hire the day they issue cheque.
If it goes away to Copart there's always a chance to buy it back! - they normally have a few up for auction (along with loads of other stuff)

https://www.copart.co.uk/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=mokka

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Jan-2020

They sure did, I had a right go at them about it.

Yep just madness the fact the Mrs could be car less until such time as we get the full sum.

Yeah I'll be keeping an eye on copart and trents.

Since a 13 plate black SE mokka £4,290 (but it has some bits that need fixing) done 120,000 (which our old did) So if still about on payout I'll head off and give it a good look over and make an offer on it.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 18:th-Jan-2020

I'm currently bidding on this K
https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/26501770
most of my recent cars have come from Copart

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 19:th-Jan-2020

I keep thinking of getting into buying a damaged motor and doing it up selling it on but most likely more hassle than it's worth.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 9:th-Feb-2020

It depends on what you buy, what its worth and (of course) what you pay for it, so many salvage cars are being bought by overseas buyers which is pushing the prices up.
I didn't buy the K as it went out of my price range.
Has the Mokka gone yet?

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 9:th-Feb-2020

Yeah that's the issue really need to go and look at them also an look at the damage.

Before Trents closed the DIY yard here they foreign lads would be in there cutting cars in half and sending half cars back over seas.

Nope only just got the log book back Friday so going to pop over tomorrow and put plate on and swap some parts over.

Picked her up a new Mokka in White SE trim with Navi600 DAB+ BT & Rear camera.

& low & behold while it's been parked somewhere some one has hit the back door putting a a dent in it and cracking paint no details left by offender.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 9:th-Feb-2020

thats bloody typical, no-one admits to that sort of thing now.
Did you take off all your upgrades?

the new white one looks nice

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 10:th-Feb-2020

I got most of them out Navi 950 camera DAB+ etc LED bulbs.

I couldn't take the switches or K&N air filter as I didn't have spares. But going to go over today swap all switches over and K&N, then I'll only have the IPC to re-convert and the ambient lighting.

Then I'll ring them and tell them to collect it and pay me the money.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 11:th-Feb-2020

The Old mokka is being picked up today and it's going to co-part I'll be keep an eye on their site I'm still tempted to buy it back.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 17:th-Feb-2020

is this it?
https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/30224750
cat S like I thought
they put value as £4430 - sounds familiar!

its listed as "pure sale" so no reserve, it will sell for the highest bid

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Feb-2020

(17:th-Feb-2020, 19:45:28)niteram Wrote: is this it?
https://www.copart.co.uk/lot/30224750
cat S like I thought
they put value as £4430 - sounds familiar!

its listed as "pure sale" so no reserve, it will sell for the highest bid

That's it.

Mrs is nagging me to buy it back.
Be a nice project, just not sure £60 to register then cost of car then coparts % on top it's only 50miles away so could higher a low loader to get it home.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 18:th-Feb-2020

They charge a buyers fee, a bidding fee etc. Last car I bought, I bid to £1200, plus £300 fees. There is a firm close to them that I've used for delivery.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 18:th-Feb-2020

(18:th-Feb-2020, 10:35:04)niteram Wrote: They charge a buyers fee, a bidding fee etc. Last car I bought, I bid to £1200, plus £300 fees. There is a firm close to them that I've used for delivery.

I don't think I'm going to bid on it happy with the new Mokka and would rather use the money on something else.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 21:st-Feb-2020

I see someone paid £1,350 + fees for the Mokka I also notice there was more damage to it after co-part got there hands on it.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 22:nd-Feb-2020

it often happens, they're not gentle with the cars

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Big Dave2 - 24:th-Feb-2020

I've been watching recently a block on youtube who buys quite a few wrecks from CoPart, and then does them up.

They use fork lift trucks to bring out the cars he buys into the collection area. God knows what damage that is doing to the underside of the vehicles they sell.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 24:th-Feb-2020

(24:th-Feb-2020, 12:21:33)Big Dave2 Wrote: I've been watching recently a block on youtube who buys quite a few wrecks from CoPart, and then does them up.

They use fork lift trucks to bring out the cars he buys into the collection area. God knows what damage that is doing to the underside of the vehicles they sell.

They are many complaints about that on the internet also the fact charge for it, a lot are saying the cars they buy drive and they should therefore be able to drive them out and not be charged a loading fee + having to wait around for hours on end for them to be ready to get the car out.

The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - marcus01 - 23:rd-Apr-2020

Rusty, just reading this now, you must be pretty gutted with the whole affair after having done a heap of work on the grey mokka.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Jun-2020

Just thought I'd do a little update.

So the Mrs 2nd mokka had a funny thing happening with it where it didn't like to start and the clutch would sink to the floor.

The battery wasn't that old so I ruled out the battery as a fault as it the S/S would kick in.

In the end I picked up a brand new battery for £100 trade price & also got a bottle of brake and clutch fluid.

Upon opening the clutch bleed a load of air came out the system got the brake fluid refreshed also while doing it.

Fitted the new battery also and relearned it over night.

Not had an issue since so hopefully it's all resolved now, does make me think these 2 fault and the sticking brake pedal where the reasons the car was sold on.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - niteram - 1:st-Jul-2020

yeah these batteries can be funny old things, just because they're recent doesn't mean they're not faulty.
Hopefully you've sorted out both things now.

RE: The Wife's 1.7cdti Mokka - Rusty2009 - 27:th-Mar-2022

Just thought I would provide an update on the Mokka.

Last year it had a new clutch, DMF etc. Just a £1000 all in, using all genuine parts thanks to @Jpbroad1970 super parts hunter for finding good priced items.
We also had to change the front bumper, the headlamp washer hose a headlamp washer nozzle all due to bodged repair by a pervious person..

We've also fitted LED bulbs into the headlights & also added DRL/indicators under the headlights.

I will get some pics up later.