Switch to desktop version  
Flex ride retro-fit - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Retrofit Research (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Flex ride retro-fit (/showthread.php?tid=4331)

Flex ride retro-fit - Rusty2009 - 15:th-Apr-2019

Being working on this little retrofit for awhile now gathering the parts.

So I have the following parts.

Front shock's with springs, rear shocks, Front and rear sensors & the Flexride module.

I found it really hard to find the correct plug needed for the front strut extension harness, the only place that "stocked it" never had any stock and kept saying stock was coming in for months until I got shitty with them then they cancelled the order and refunded me.

I was able to finally find the plugs on ebay a little expensive as I had to buy the extension harness with them.

I did buy all the wire to make the loom myself but @Vocky had a loom which he sent me which meant I only needed to change the wire out to the engine bay.

The module both front and rear sensors are fitted & I've fitted the loom out to the engine bay so far.

I've made the 2 looms which run to the front sensors & my next looms to make is the 2 looms to the front shocks but I am awaiting some wire to arrive as I need to add the front wheel speed sensor wiring into them.

Then I plan on some ramp time to swap the shocks over.

Shocks and module

Flex ride main loom

Module fitted behind the Rear fuse-board

The 2 small looms for the front sensors made.

This retrofit also involves the fitment of EPB so here is the EPB loom made which has been fitted.

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - vocky - 15:th-Apr-2019

that is quite a big retro-fit you are undertaking, but it will be worth the effort once complete.

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - Jpbroad1970 - 15:th-Apr-2019

(15:th-Apr-2019, 09:40:57)vocky Wrote: that is quite a big retro-fit you are undertaking, but it will be worth the effort once complete.

I concur, if anyone can do it Russell can

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - entlio - 17:th-Jun-2019

Hello, I just wondering: was it on the end successful?

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - Rusty2009 - 17:th-Jun-2019

I've not completed it as yet the EPB module I bought doesn't want to program up so I'm looking for a sensibly priced once.

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - entlio - 22:nd-Jun-2019

Thanks for update, I am looking forward to your results because if you will be able to fit flex-ride in - that means there is also possibility to pull it out (every Opel dealer in my country telling me it´s not possible to switch on normal suspension in my GTC)

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - niteram - 29:th-Jun-2019

at the risk of sounding stupid, what does flex ride do?

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - Rusty2009 - 4:th-Jul-2019

(22:nd-Jun-2019, 20:07:20)entlio Wrote: Thanks for update, I am looking forward to your results because if you will be able to fit flex-ride in - that means there is also possibility to pull it out (every Opel dealer in my country telling me it´s not possible to switch on normal suspension in my GTC)

GM will not support retrofitting so I can't see them supporting removal.

Clearly there is a work around as I'm doing it on mine.

(29:th-Jun-2019, 20:28:33)niteram Wrote: at the risk of sounding stupid, what does flex ride do?

Flexride is for the suspension it softens and hardens it turns the dash light ride when in sport mode etc.

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - Sergio Pinto - 3:rd-Dec-2020

Great.
Sorry for my English, I'm from Portugal.
I have an Astra J 2011 1.6 turbo, I would like to remove the shock absorbers and the system (Flex ride) without giving errors.
They can help.

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - azajus - 11:th-Jun-2021

(15:th-Apr-2019, 08:56:50)Rusty2009 Wrote: Being working on this little retrofit for awhile now gathering the parts.

So I have the following parts.

Front shock's with springs, rear shocks, Front and rear sensors & the Flexride module.

I found it really hard to find the correct plug needed for the front strut extension harness, the only place that "stocked it" never had any stock and kept saying stock was coming in for months until I got shitty with them then they cancelled the order and refunded me.

I was able to finally find the plugs on ebay a little expensive as I had to buy the extension harness with them.

I did buy all the wire to make the loom myself but @Vocky had a loom which he sent me which meant I only needed to change the wire out to the engine bay.

The module both front and rear sensors are fitted & I've fitted the loom out to the engine bay so far.

I've made the 2 looms which run to the front sensors & my next looms to make is the 2 looms to the front shocks but I am awaiting some wire to arrive as I need to add the front wheel speed sensor wiring into them.

Then I plan on some ramp time to swap the shocks over.

Shocks and module

Flex ride main loom

Module fitted behind the Rear fuse-board

The 2 small looms for the front sensors made.

This retrofit also involves the fitment of EPB so here is the EPB loom made which has been fitted.

Hello Rusty,

Just a question - was it worth doing this retrofit? Is there a big diffrence between standard suspension and the flexi ride?

RE: Flex ride retro-fit - Rusty2009 - 30:th-Dec-2022

Just to confirm I finally finished this retro all be it with no EPB fitted and the car not having a handbrake light on the dash & no front fog lights for almost a year.

But then I started playing with the calibration files and I edited the calibration files to suit and programmed them into the BCM.

No I have a fully working flexride system with Manual handbrake & front fog lights.

being able to change the calibration bytes within the calibration file and getting them to program has given me plenty of ideas on the custom programming route.