Switch to desktop version  
Winter/seasonal tyres? - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Winter/seasonal tyres? (/showthread.php?tid=4212)

Winter/seasonal tyres? - Exlabman - 24:th-Jan-2019

Hi,
Just wondered how many folk use seasonal or winter tyres on their cars?
I drive big yellow taxis for a living, I was so impressed with the winter tyres on the boo boo bus a couple of years ago that I sought some new wheels to fit winter shoes for my astra. Bargain find on fleabay £250 for 4 x 17" SRI astra alloys (exact same as on my car anyway) with Michelin cross climates already on and approx 6mm tread left.
The difference last 2 years in the winter was well worth it. As you can imagine we aren't allowed snow days.
I actually found I had more grip in the astra with the cross climates than in the Skoda Scout (4x4 estate thing) with summer tyres on in the frost and snow (as they didn't bother with them last year leading to some squeaky bum moments).
Bought some for the wifes Zafira B last year, she loved them too, ideal for the school runs on dodgy country roads.
Unfortunately she parked it in the side of a van and they don't fit her newer Zaf C with 18" wheels, so I'll be looking again for next winter and have bunged em on fleabay.
I don't use them all year round, reverting back to summer boots (Flaken azenis fk510, which I find great value and perform as well as much pricier rubber) when the weather improves, saves the tread and they are slightly heavier on fuel I think. I bought brackets and bolt em to the garage wall whichever I'm not using.
Interestingly the big yellow taxi service has now opted to run cross climates all year round on their vans and cars in my area.
If you're wondering about it and drive on untreated roads I'd def recommend them. Might keep you away form the big yellow taxi  

Cheers
D

RE: Winter/seasonal tyres? - Rusty2009 - 24:th-Jan-2019

I tend to stick with mixed season tyres if it snows or is icy I just adjust my driving to the conditions although down here in B'mth we we are pretty lucky and don't get much snow.

Although we do have these yellow Taxi's most of them can't drive god knows how they got a car licence let alone a taxi licence.

RE: Winter/seasonal tyres? - Andyk - 25:th-Jan-2019

I run Michelin Cross Climate all year on my company Audi A6. Fantastic in the snow and hard wearing. 40k on the front tyres and still 4mm tread left, so moved to run them on the rear wheels and put new ones on the front. 

Won't buy anything else now and the Astra will get them when tyres are needed.

RE: Winter/seasonal tyres? - Exlabman - 31:st-Jan-2019

(24:th-Jan-2019, 17:16:15)Rusty2009 Wrote: I tend to stick with mixed season tyres if it snows or is icy I just adjust my driving to the conditions although down here in B'mth we we are pretty lucky and don't get much snow.

Although we do have these yellow Taxi's most of them can't drive god knows how they got a car licence let alone a taxi licence.

While I may agree with your sentiments about the driving, think you may have the wrong end of the stick. Big yellow taxi = boo boo bus = ambulance. We cal them NHS taxis due to the inordinate amount of folk that seem to think we are simply there to taxi them about rather than the emergency service we think we are.

Sorry, have to have an odd sense of humor to survive this job.

D

RE: Winter/seasonal tyres? - Rusty2009 - 1:st-Feb-2019

(31:st-Jan-2019, 10:41:45)Exlabman Wrote:
(24:th-Jan-2019, 17:16:15)Rusty2009 Wrote: I tend to stick with mixed season tyres if it snows or is icy I just adjust my driving to the conditions although down here in B'mth we we are pretty lucky and don't get much snow.

While I may agree with your sentiments about the driving, think you may have the wrong end of the stick. Big yellow taxi = boo boo bus = ambulance. We cal them NHS taxis due to the inordinate amount of folk that seem to think we are simply there to taxi them about rather than the emergency service we think we are.

Sorry, have to have an odd sense of humor to survive this job.

D

Ah, yes it's a shame the way people abuse the NHS system like they do.