Switch to desktop version  
FM Antenna Sports Tourer - Printable Version

+- VXOC Astra-J/GTC (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Section (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Astra-J/GTC Technical (https://vxoc.org.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: FM Antenna Sports Tourer (/showthread.php?tid=4133)

FM Antenna Sports Tourer - AphoticSketch - 14:th-Nov-2018

Hi all, 

About a year ago someone stole my antenna. I never replaced it because I use AUX 99% of the time, and generally only use the radio when my Mrs is in the car. However, we're going on a road trip to Spain this Christmas to visit her family and I would like to get my radio working again.

Now, I could just fit a new antenna, but I've noticed both my quarterlight windows have antenna in them. They also have wires coming off them, so I'm hopeful that my car has all the kit required to use the internal antennae for FM, and maybe even DAB. That way I can just fit a shark fin antenna to the roof. 

The problem I'm having is getting the panels off to see where the wires go and see if I have any receivers attached. The panels are located behind the rear passenger seats and run down the pillar to the floor. I don't want to break them in the process. Also I'm not sure which one would be FM.

Can anyone offer any advice? I can provide some photos if it helps. 

Cheers.

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - marktourino - 14:th-Nov-2018

www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-dab-and-fm-signal-up-and-down

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - AphoticSketch - 14:th-Nov-2018

(14:th-Nov-2018, 19:48:45)marktourino Wrote: www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-dab-and-fm-signal-up-and-down

Thanks, dude. Just gotta get the panels off now and have a nose about.

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - niteram - 14:th-Nov-2018

you can pull the panels off enough to get your hands in and have a look without taking the whole trim off.
which is what I did to fit my Dab reciever.
my car wast configured for FM antenna diversivication (the aerials in both side windows) and also configured for Dab. some have the antennas in the glass but dont have the connectors attatched to the glass.

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - AphoticSketch - 14:th-Nov-2018

(14:th-Nov-2018, 21:22:16)niteram Wrote: you can pull the panels off enough to get your hands in and have a look without taking the whole trim off.
which is what I did to fit my Dab reciever.
my car wast configured for FM antenna diversivication (the aerials in both side windows) and also configured for Dab. some have the antennas in the glass but dont have the connectors attatched to the glass.

Hey thanks for your help. I just went out and tried to get a look, but there seems to be insulation behind the panels so I couldn't see much. I might take it to a garage and see if they can help out. 

I found this. So I have a rough idea where they are now.

I took some photos of the windows: http://imgur.com/gallery/5pI3IwQ

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - marktourino - 15:th-Nov-2018

(14:th-Nov-2018, 20:34:58)AphoticSketch Wrote:
(14:th-Nov-2018, 19:48:45)marktourino Wrote: www.vxoc.org.uk/forum/Thread-dab-and-fm-signal-up-and-down

Thanks, dude. Just gotta get the panels off now and have a nose about.

AphoticSketch I am glad to be of assistance mate.

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - niteram - 15:th-Nov-2018

looking at your pictures, it would appear that all the connectors are fitted
the single one on the O/S is the one for DAB, if its like mine the connector will only have a short piece of (dummy) wire that does not attatch to anything. I had to buy the DAB reciever box that has the wire to replace the dummy one. (basically the same as shown in the workshop picture you've found)

RE: FM Antenna Sports Tourer - AphoticSketch - 15:th-Nov-2018

(15:th-Nov-2018, 16:57:46)niteram Wrote: looking at your pictures, it would appear that all the connectors are fitted
the single one on the O/S is the one for DAB, if its like mine the connector will only have a short piece of (dummy) wire that does not attatch to anything. I had to buy the DAB reciever box that has the wire to replace the dummy one. (basically the same as shown in the workshop picture you've found)

Hey, thanks, man. I managed to pull enough of the trim off to find out the cables are about an inch long and go nowhere haha. 

I found the cable that goes to the antenna on the top of the car, which, I assume the other end goes to the stereo. 

So I think Dab would be too much of a mission to get set up, but I'm still keen on hooking my FM up to the windows, and I think it may actually be quite easy to set up now that I know where everything is. 

Can you allude as to what the other connectors are? I see the ones near the back of the car have quite long wires around the window, that I assume are for the FM, but then there are some mini ones on the side of the window towards the front of the car. 

Annoyingly I can't find any information on these windows or how this all wires up.